Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Phone Watch Simon system

Options
  • 16-04-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Since the most recent "upgrade" to the Phone Watch pricing, I am looking for your recommendation on what I should do with my GE Simon system. Since we had disabled the eircom line and got NTL cable many years ago, a GSM dialler had to be installed for the monitoring. Both are right inside the front door.

Should I:
    a) find another monitoring co. and pay them €150/yr.
    b) cancel phone watch & configure the system to ring my mobile if it goes off.
    c) bin the lot and start again with a better home security system.....
    Thanks guys,
    C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Windy_Guy wrote: »
    Since the most recent "upgrade" to the Phone Watch pricing, I am looking for your recommendation on what I should do with my GE Simon system. Since we had disabled the eircom line and got NTL cable many years ago, a GSM dialler had to be installed for the monitoring. Both are right inside the front door.

Should I:
    a) find another monitoring co. and pay them €150/yr.
    b) cancel phone watch & configure the system to ring my mobile if it goes off.
    c) bin the lot and start again with a better home security system.....
    Thanks guys,
    C.

First off you could of used a UPC phone to monitor the alarm.
    P.W. will tell you it wont work but it does.
    Any other company can have this system monitored.
    Only you can make that decision with regard to having the system monitored by yourself or a monitoring station.
    If the alarm is working and you are not looking for any other functionality then why bin it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Windy_Guy

I'm not sure how effective they are, given I heard people just break in and disable them without much trouble.

I'm not sure how effective they are, given I heard people just break in and disable them without much trouble.

Any system can be disabled.
    I would advise having the system moved to a different location and install a wire free keypad or use keyfobs for arming/disarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Windy_Guy

Thanks altor,
    I will look into this with a local installer, if I can find one.
    Do you find that a lot of people are happy to self program to alert their own mobile, or is it worth sticking with phonewatch or similar for monitoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Id go with option c. Those panels really shouldn't be used over here. its just a nice quick install for phone watch.

• Advertisement

Thanks altor,
    I will look into this with a local installer, if I can find one.
    Do you find that a lot of people are happy to self program to alert their own mobile, or is it worth sticking with phonewatch or similar for monitoring?

A round here yes, but its each to their own.
    If the system is working which in your case it is I would not be throwing it out.

keep the sensors and use a quick bridge or UTC panel.

if you do decide to keep the panel then definitely remove the phone watch box from the front of the house.. at least then no one would know which system you have.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    keep the sensors and use a quick bridge or UTC panel.

The options are endless :D

you could use the simon panel as an alert system .. use the voice chime with some contacts to let you know if the side gates been opened etc... but i wouldn't depend on the panel to alert me of a real intrusion.

you could use the simon panel as an alert system .. use the voice chime with some contacts to let you know if the side gates been opened etc... but i wouldn't depend on the panel to alert me of a real intrusion.

You could say the same with any panel using communications that are not built in.

• Advertisement

any examples?

Nothing that I would like to see on a public forum.

altor wrote: »
    Nothing that I would like to see on a public forum.
    sure it was on national radio! do you not think people should be aware of these systems so some lazy installer doesn't catch them out?

sure it was on national radio! do you not think people should be aware of these systems so some lazy installer doesn't catch them out?

That is why its always best to shop around and not just take the word of one installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

OP, just with regard to your existing system, is it a perimeter type system or is it just made of of beams?

As the lads pointed out, you could use another GE panel with a wireless receiver that will work with your existing detectors, assuming they are what you want as in the type of detection they provide.
    The great thing about using another panel is that the intelligent and communicative aspects of the system are away from your entrance hallway and therefore not vulnerable as has recently been discussed in the media.

With regard to monitoring, personally speaking i think that self monitoring may save money but as far as i am concerned is not a true security system.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

A comment was passed earlier that any system can be disabled,

That is completely untrue & if people are competent & qualified and specify a proper security system it should work every time .
    Yes there are some very poor systems out there .

In relation to PW the main advice we give to people is to login to the Facebook page & have a read at people's comments , You will need to login before 11.00am as they remove newer postings in around then .

In relation to your system You could reuse your detectors & change your control equipment . I would also recommend keeping your monitoring .
    There are different types of communicators GSM , IP etc ,
    You should take a good look about firstly .
    I would recommend losing PW.
    You should give them a call yourself & ask them how much training an engineer is given before they are out installing or repairing your security system .

If you could not wire a plug & go to PW you will get 1 day & a morning then be given the keys of a van & a phone .
    I was only speaking to very nice man earlier this year who worked with them for 5 months .
    His own words were " Don't know how they get away with it"

I recently had a meeting with the CEO of The Private Security Authority & he informed me that there are a few large companies been investigated at present .
    So hopefully some good might come from this

Advertisement