Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Exit wand/loop query

Options
  • 20-04-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted either one of these to their electric gates, if so which and why and whats involved. Thinking that the induction loop might be the best option myself but not sure.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

I'm guessing you just want it for when you drive up to the gates that they will open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

I'm guessing you just want it for when you drive up to the gates that they will open ?

Yes, for exiting the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

Yes, for exiting the house.

Good points with these 1 : They are handy

Bad points : 1 If you put a light metal plate over the loop gate will open

2: Loops in ground need to be 100% correct as if cable gets damaged you will have to open up driveway to install a new one

3: From a security point of view if someone was to steal your car they just have to drive up to the gate & gates will open

To be honest we are normally out disconnecting these & not putting them in .

Have you considered a gsm gate opener

Never leave your gate remote in the car in case of a break in to your car

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

You could link them in with your security system so when the panel is armed the loop won't allow the gates to open. So its only useful for letting guests out. Yes do not leave your fob in the car. Get a slimline RF keypad if you want to keep it in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Good points with these 1 : They are handy

Bad points : 1 If you put a light metal plate over the loop gate will open How would anyone know in a gravel drive that there is a loop there?

2: Loops in ground need to be 100% correct as if cable gets damaged you will have to open up driveway to install a new one Yep, agree

3: From a security point of view if someone was to steal your car they just have to drive up to the gate & gates will open If someone had robbed the house and were leaving in the car i'd be glad they could f**k off asap!

To be honest we are normally out disconnecting these & not putting them in .

Have you considered a gsm gate opener

Never leave your gate remote in the car in case of a break in to your car

Thanks for your reply. I have a GSM gate opener. Its for visitors, postman etc that are leaving that don't have access to open gate that I want the wand/loop for..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Evolution1 wrote: »
    You could link them in with your security system so when the panel is armed the loop won't allow the gates to open. So its only useful for letting guests out. Yes do not leave your fob in the car. Get a slimline RF keypad if you want to keep it in the car

That's a genius idea! - that was one issue putting me off getting one fitted. I never even thought of connecting it to the alarm.

Thanks Evolution1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Get a slimline RF keypad if you want to keep it in the car

A nice idea. However would the alarm not register a fault if the keypad is lost?

Advertisement