Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home alarm system options

Options
  • 15-04-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello all. The house is prewired for an alarm system. I would like a system that will take signals from ~ 4 PIRs and send texts through a home wifi system. What is the best system / and can it be installed DIY? Slan.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

When you say use home WiFi I presume you mean using your broadband connection for Apps & Alerts.
    Most systems do this now. There is more details on them in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782

For a self install with no charges I would recommend the GSD i70 panel. A handy WifI card and easy to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

I would also recommend GSDI70 panel
    Great panel & very user friendly, Free App & no monthly charge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭altor

stadamack wrote: »
    Hello all. The house is prewired for an alarm system. I would like a system that will take signals from ~ 4 PIRs and send texts through a home wifi system. What is the best system / and can it be installed DIY? Slan.

Your home is wired for a trap pack if only wired for motion detection.
    I would advise looking at having a hybrid system installed and use wire free detectors on windows if not wired for. Cables to PIRS and doors will also cut down on the cost as you would be using wired devices with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 stadamack

Thanks Altor. What do you mean "trap pack"

Trap Pack ?

Sounds like a PW saying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think he means a trap system. Its where a system only uses internal protection. The alarm is never going to activate untill after someone has gained entry to a premises. Most good installers would recommend against such a system.

Just never heard the saying in my 30 yrs
    You learn something new everyday ,
    I agree Koolkido a perimeter system is the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Go for a mix of the two. Pirs are for confirmation as you'd never rush home for just a vibration sensor. If your somewhere with a fenced off garden ask your installer about an external perimeter detector. This would let you know someone was hanging about before they got near the house. And would be a good backup to vibration sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭altor

stadamack wrote: »
    Thanks Altor. What do you mean "trap pack"

A trap pack is PIR detectors placed in your home to catch an intruder. It is an alarm but gives a false sense of security in my opinion.
    If your home is just wired this way then I would recommend having a hybrid system installed utilizing the wireds in place plus using wire free devices on the windows and doors.

Advertisement