Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Questions Regarding Rent Allowance

Options
  • 15-02-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently doing a FAS course out in Tallaght but living in Swords.

I would like to know if:

1, I qualify for rent allowance since I am on a FAS course

and

2, Since I am living in Swords, can I move from here and be entitled to getting rent allowance in a differeent part of Dublin.

Any help advise would be well appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I was just finished up a FAS scheme and I was able to retain my rent allowance and my medical card while I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Being on a Fas course wouldn't be an obstacle in respect of applying for Rent Supplement, though the extra top up over and above the usual social welfare rates would be assessed in the means test. To qualify you will need to either have been renting privately for at least 6 months already, been able to afford the rent when the tenancy started and have since suffered a change in your financial circumstances OR for you to be approved as in need of social housing by the local authority. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/swa_rent.aspx#4.2

You would have to apply for Rent Supplement to the Community Welfare Officer of the area in which you presently live and if you move after getting approval, you have to attend the CWO of your new area and supply all necessary documentation from yourself and the new landlord. Bear in mind that rent limits for rent supplement vary from area to area.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Thanks guys.

Advertisement