Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Container width for 1024px layout?

Options
  • 20-06-2010 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I want to use the maximum space possible for the main content container of my fixed width site. I'm designing for a minimum width of 1024px as that seems to still be a commonly used resolution for many people.

Anyway, I have a two column layout, one sidebar and one main section, that is layed out to a 960px grid. I have a 'border' and drop shadows surrounding this layout and I'm wondering how much space I can give to these before it will not look right when viewd at 1024px resolution. As in if I gave 100px to the border and drop shadows, my container would now be 1060px which would not be ideal. So what is the maximum width I should be using for the container? I read somewhere I should take account of the vertical scrollbar so the maximum I can use is 1000px, does this sound correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Also factor in that not everyone browses in a maximized window.. the majority in fact I'd say don't which further narrows your pages visibility slightly..

*feel free to correct me but based on watching other people both in homes and offices, browsing is "just another task" on the screen and done amongst other things like email, chatting etc...being done separately

I generally go for around 960px max inclusive of shadows and borders, I have stretched to 990px on occasions on clients request, much to my distaste...and get called to narrow it at a later date

Psst hide before the 800x600 brigade get here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I usually do 900-990, 960 is good for grids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I usually work at around 990px - the thing to remember is that ppl on a 1024 won't always have their browsers maximised either; so 960 for the grid layout, leaving 30 pixels either side for drop-shadows or whatnot (though obviously you can still have a background gradient or something running across the <body>.

Advertisement