Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery of a MacBook that got wet.

Options
  • 24-01-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My Macbook got wet recently and it seems the battery is the only thing wrong. The battery is not working. There is no water dripping out of the battery. I have to have the MacBook plugged into the mains. In the top icon where the battery symbol is there is an "X" over the battery logo. I think I will need a new battery, but is there any way I can fix the wet battery?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Get a new battery. Throw out/unplug the old water damaged battery. water + batteries = very bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I think you should also prepare for the possibility that the charging circuit (and/or related components) have gotten damaged just as likely as the battery itself.

If you can borrow a battery it would be helpful, just to avoid buying a new one (they are pretty expensive?) unless you are 100% sure that is the only problem.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Oh dear OP!

Liquid damage can be very insidious in electrical appliances. Corrosion can slowly rust away the inside of your comp- and one day the whole thing suddenly stops working.

Be wary of spending alot on a new battery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's a lithium battery then be aware that it could burn / explode if the water gets into the cells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kerryoco

Hey just wanted to say the same thing happened to me, I've been using my laptop for a year now with a non-functional battery. (always plugged in)

I've been worried about continuing corrosion but no sign of it so far.

I believe the circuit connecting the battery to the motherboard is especially vulnerable... the battery actually still works, but the CPU no longer recognizes it.

Strange that the one circuit is the only thing that stopped working... so must be a very fragile circuit unfortunately.

I haven't had the gall to open up the case of the laptop yet. Save that for when it's on its last legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

kerryoco wrote: »
    Hey just wanted to say the same thing happened to me, I've been using my laptop for a year now with a non-functional battery. (always plugged in)

I've been worried about continuing corrosion but no sign of it so far.

I believe the circuit connecting the battery to the motherboard is especially vulnerable... the battery actually still works, but the CPU no longer recognizes it.

Strange that the one circuit is the only thing that stopped working... so must be a very fragile circuit unfortunately.

I haven't had the gall to open up the case of the laptop yet. Save that for when it's on its last legs.

I see.
    Well about a moth after th damage mine started to slow down, eventually it was so slow it was beyond usage. I called a technesion (who still hasnt called) and he sayed more than lighty the slowness was a software prob, anyway I will just have to wait and see when he calls!

I'll keep you all posted! You do the same kerryoco! And BOL with yours!!

Advertisement