Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fullsize image height?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

hey

just wondering.. I have an ongoing project with a commerce site and i noticed(on a widescreen res) that when i click a thumb nail to see a fullsize image, the whole image would not be viewable as the bottom of the image would go out of the bottom of the screen.

So i have a few options..
    • make the image height 700ish
    • put in a scroll bar and limit the size of the popup window to 700
    • lightbox

Id rather stay away from lightbox, imo it doesnt suit ecommerce sites.

the items that are being sold on the site are small(matchbox size). So i feel a high res image would be better so you could see the detail in them.

Am i missing any options here? Id rather not resize images

What size do you think is a good size for a fullsize image these days?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

As a customer, I'd much prefer lightbox to a popup window.

Would about one of those image zoom things that are on a lot of eCommerce sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Yea i've been playing around with jquery, but i found that it wasnt all that IE compatible. However there are some nice options on that link that seem ie6 friendly, very interesting stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

red_ice wrote: »
    Yea i've been playing around with jquery, but i found that it wasnt all that IE compatible.

I can't see how, tbh.......jQuery allows you to "do" things.....whether what you do is IE compatible is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

so everything that jquery can do is ie6 compatible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

red_ice wrote: »
    so everything that jquery can do is ie6 compatible?

jQuery itself, yes.

Whether or not individual plugins built using the jQuery framework are compatible with different versions of IE is a separate question; some are, some aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I'd go Lightbox .. it just "works" .. and its becoming the norm on Alot of ecommerce websites. People are well used to it at this stage and personally I don't think it looks weird on an e-commerce site.

I'd stay away popup's, just in case of those darn browser blockers aren't working properly.

G'luck

Advertisement