Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do u think of the GameCube??

Options
  • 07-05-2002 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

so, after waiting all this time for nintendos new geometric console to come out, what does every1 think of their shiny new box of merryment?:) ?:mad: ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

i was in electronics boutique dawson on sunday.

A man was in with his son (who wanted to spend his communion money on a console).

The shop has a huge XBox section in the door with a large x box console to play. The man was asking the shop assistants what was the best console to buy, an x-box or a ps2. Afaik the man was ignorant to the fact that the Gamecube exists, and the shop assitants didnt even offer it as an alternative.

With the cheap price i would have thought it would be a perfect choice for a communion gift.

I walked around the shop and had to look for Gamecube stuff. I found the boxes and 3 release games in a dark corner, without a sign or a logo to mark the area as the Gamecube area.

Welcome to N64-ville nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Weird, given the amount of money Ninty threw at EB in order to get their console promoted.

EB and Game in the UK have been pushing it very hard indeed, it's sold really well and had tons of media coverage.

I think we can possibly conclude that EB Dawson Street sucks the proverbial arse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the above surprises me since every other gamestore including EB in Henry Street is covered in Gamecube stuff and well deservedly so as it is a stunning piece of entertainment already. Perhaps EB in Dawson Street are running the shop down for closeure? as its becoming GAME from next couple of weeks I dont see much point in having 2 GAME stores beside each other (the other one is the main GAME store in Grafton Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Game in Blanch aren't going overboard with floorspace for the GC either. The XBox has a whole corner at the front of the shop (and has had since before it was launched) whereas the GC is given not much more than a tiny little space along a wall at the back of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i just laughed wen i saw in hmv " x-box, 170 euros off, now only 340 euros" and the gc is 200 on the day of release.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I wandered around a lot of shops on Friday to get a GC.

EB on Henrys street? (at least on Friday) had a shelf space right at the door showing the GC +3 games + memory for a value price, as well as a shelf of games for the GC. The remaining GC stuff was at the back of the store.

Nearly all the stores had the same setup, the exceptions being the record megastores, like HMV (and overpriced!).

However nearly every single one appeared to have only pre-orders, the exception being at the time GamesWorld where I ended up buying it. From what I gather they sold out on Saturday.

One thing to note. Companies fight for shelf space. It's possible MS did a deal with EB and checked up to ensure thier shelf space wasn't being poached.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

quote"so, after waiting all this time for nintendos new geometric console to come out, what does every1 think of their shiny new box of
    merryment?"

very nice indeed.......i heard the machine was small but did'nt think it was that small,sexy even.mini dvd's are quite nice too
    maybe they could have made the cases a bit smaller?

as for the games,the general feeling was that it had an average
    launch line-up.....the 2 games i got "rogue leader 2 and monkey
    ball" r excellent....i wonder what the other games were like?
    all in all i was impressed with the GC far more so than with
    my ugly x-box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I have to say I love the controller. It feels really solid and fits my hand comfortably.

I cant freakin decide whether to get an x-box or a GC though :(

Im waiting to see how 3rd party support pans out for Microsoft, specifically Japanese devs.

Then there's Resident Evil on the GC... Decisions, decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Die Junior Cert! DIE! DIE! *Stabs paper with 'junior cert' written on it* Me and my brother have more than enough for a GC, couple of games and accesorices but the fu**ing Junior Cert! Walahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Super Crisps are nicer than LFC. Accept it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I would have thought Nintendo were putting huge money into the GC, ever watch MTV, ads are on 24/7, some promo ads some in association with a competition.
    Looks like their working big on the teen - 20s market

• Advertisement
Advertisement