Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill

Options
  • 06-05-2002 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not really into the whole consle gaming thing but was recently sucked into playing Silent Hill on my brothers Playstation. I must say that it has to be one of the most awesome games i have ever played. The musical score os just absolutley chilling and the plot is excellent but slightly baffling. I must say i jumped when i saw the scene with the cat rattling in the locker

Now for some questions, does anyone know if any other games like this exist? Does anyone know where i can download/buy the sound track? Does anyone know of any sites that give detailed explanation of the meaning of the game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Agreed - one of the most atmospheric and gripping games I've ever played. Other games like it: Silent Hill 2 is available on PSX2 and I haven't played it myself, but from what I hear it's not quite up to the same standard. Back on PSX1, the Resident Evil games of course are the ones that started off the whole Survival Horror genre, but they rely more on shock tactics to scare the player more than the genuine feeling of uneasyness that Silent Hill creates... still classics though, and can probably be picked up for next to nothing.

The plot... hmm :) I actually wrote down what I thought the whole thing meant after I completed it the first time to try and understand it a bit better, but there was still some loose ends. Maybe try www.gamefaqs.com.

Soundtrack - a catalogue of Silent Hill merchandise comes with the game doesn't it? If not, Google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Silent Hill 2 is very good, although it kinda lacks some of the immediacy of Silent Hill... Takes a bit more effort to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The only thing that I can remember about Silent Hill is that sound the radio makes. Funny stuff!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always preferred resi myself although silent hill was far more freakier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

System Shock 2 on the PC.
    It's fps/rpg/surival horror, and it's the only game that ever actualy scared me, and it also has completely desensitised me to violence and fear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Ah i gave up on silent hill i got stuck on that weird hospital with the hidden floor. Great game but i much prefered The resi games.
    I must get sys shock 2 so, i never really heard much about that one though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's one problem with the silent hill games is that some of the puzzles are so obscure that you definitely need an faq to beat them.

There's one problem with the silent hill games is that some of the puzzles are so obscure that you definitely need an faq to beat them.

Maybe you're just a bit thick? ;)

(I didn't really have any trouble with the Silent Hill puzzles - they were obscure, but logical, unlike Resident Evil puzzles which usually come down to "try every item with every other item until something happens".)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

its been a few years since i played it but i still remember that piano puzzle!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Yeah, the puzzles were a bit odd, but they were always pretty logical. The most headwrecking part of the game for me was the very last part - the place entitled 'Nothing', where everything is all mixed up and nothing is as it seems, I had to draw about three maps before I could make sense of it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I've finished the second one, that pyramid-head thing is well weird. It's bloody scary too, I thought it was what I heard that scared me the most rather than what I saw. I shat myself on a number of occasions because of the music and sound effects.

Rented the first one for a week but gave up in the hospital I think. Must pick that up again.

Bugger off Shinji. That bloody piano had me puzzled for weeks. I got an faq and found out i had figured it out but kept putting it in the wrong way around. I one with how many legs the animals had was so obvious i almost hit myself for not getting it. I tried to do it from the zodiac.

Bugger off Shinji. That bloody piano had me puzzled for weeks.

Not to worry fella, our modern society provides roles for all sorts of people, no matter what your intelligence or skill level. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Shinji

Not to worry fella, our modern society provides roles for all sorts of people, no matter what your intelligence or skill level. ;)

i.e Games/Counterstrike mod.
    :)

P.s SH was quite scary/atmospheric but i only rented it, so i'll never truly know

Advertisement