Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Roesy wrote: »
    We just had ours last week at 8.5 months. Length, weight and head circumference were checked again as well as her hips. She had a quick chat about how solids were going and talked about toothbrushing. She also did a couple of checks: pincer grip, moving a toy from one hand to the other and how she was at sitting and putting her legs under her.

So Rosey was it just the PHN? Is it normal to just have PHN for that check? Is it normal for a doctor to come? I wonder how many more questions I can bombard you with???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

So Rosey was it just the PHN? Is it normal to just have PHN for that check? Is it normal for a doctor to come? I wonder how many more questions I can bombard you with???

Lol, fire away with the questions. I might have forgotten some things. I think it's usually the phn alright. I don't think a doctor is involved. I think if the phn is concerned about anything then they will get you to go to your gp. She also gave some leaflets about speech development. Actually my phn is murder for the leaflets. She also checked whether baby responds to her own name and asked about sounds/babbling/words.

Lol, fire away with the questions. I might have forgotten some things. I think it's usually the phn alright. I don't think a doctor is involved. I think if the phn is concerned about anything then they will get you to go to your gp.

Now time for full disclosure. Well our last check we were told a doctor was coming to do the next check for our son. I thought it was perfectly normal but others that have had babies before my son was born had no doctor at theirs so there is obviously some concern about my son's development and I'm freaking out because I'm the last to know. I watched two of my friends exchange knowing glances between each other and when I pressed them they said that a child who had this had ended up being diagnosed with autism. I really wish the PHN had been clear that she wanted extra checks and the reason why.

Now time for full disclosure. Well our last check we were told a doctor was coming to do the next check for our son. I thought it was perfectly normal but others that have had babies before my son was born had no doctor at theirs so there is obviously some concern about my son's development and I'm freaking out because I'm the last to know. I watched two of my friends exchange knowing glances between each other and when I pressed them they said that a child who had this had ended up being diagnosed with autism. I really wish the PHN had been clear that she wanted extra checks and the reason why.

newtoboards I could be wrong about doctors not usually involved but in my area they don't seem to be. I'm sorry that you are worrying about this. Did your phn raise any areas she was concerned about at the 6 months check?

newtoboards I could be wrong about doctors not usually involved but in my area they don't seem to be. I'm sorry that you are worrying about this. Did your phn raise any areas she was concerned about at the 6 months check?
    The two girls are in the same clinic as me so I know the doctor wasn't with their babies. I am so mad that I didn't query it. In the first while it was all about how floppy he was but I worked that poor boy hard with tummy time to strengthen his neck and that was all gone. Nothing at all was raised with me other than discussion around asymmetry of his creases on his legs but I explained that it was checked in the hospital by scans with the paediatrician and that was it. Well I'll be calling next Monday if there's no letter/phone call. Oh how irritating!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

The two girls are in the same clinic as me so I know the doctor wasn't with their babies. I am so mad that I didn't query it. In the first while it was all about how floppy he was but I worked that poor boy hard with tummy time to strengthen his neck and that was all gone. Nothing at all was raised with me other than discussion around asymmetry of his creases on his legs but I explained that it was checked in the hospital by scans with the paediatrician and that was it. Well I'll be calling next Monday if there's no letter/phone call. Oh how irritating!!!

Newtoboards, there are 2 developmental checks really close together: 7 month check with phn and a 9-12 month check with a doctor. The 9-12 month check isn't booked through phn and appointment comes from hse so we got ours really close to the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Newtoboards I might be wrong but I cant imagine them being able to see autism signs so young. With my 9 month check (daughter is now 27months) they also had a separate woman (not sure if she was a PHN or a doctor or who she was) come in to check hips. and also done a distraction type hearing test where one phn got her attention and other lady shook a rattle to see if she responded. Don't know if this is still done now as they have since introduced the hearing screening at birth in our hospital .

January ive been wondering where you were, actually assumed holidays, totally forgot about her opp. Hope she's doing well and hope you are too. I cant imagine what its like having other baba's to care for aswell. Hope your getting loads of help.

Newtoboards, there are 2 developmental checks really close together: 7 month check with phn and a 9-12 month check with a doctor. The 9-12 month check isn't booked through phn and appointment comes from hse so we got ours really close to the time

That makes me feel a little better (we've had the 7 month check) and my friends have had their 9/12 month check with a nurse and no doctor there. So is it pointless calling the PHN asking about the appointment?

That makes me feel a little better (we've had the 7 month check) and my friends have had their 9/12 month check with a nurse and no doctor there. So is it pointless calling the PHN asking about the appointment?

I know in my area, south dublin, the info leaflet is clear that they are not responsible for app and to contact another number. My first had hers at 11 months, they did a more thorough check than the 7 month one but was very quick. Phn weighed baby and then doc checked hips, head, neck etc

We had concern at time about baby not bearing weight on her legs but they dismissed it and said if she didn't start within a couple of months to call back

I know in my area, south dublin, the info leaflet is clear that they are not responsible for app and to contact another number. My first had hers at 11 months, they did a more thorough check than the 7 month one but was very quick. Phn weighed baby and then doc checked hips, head, neck etc

We had concern at time about baby not bearing weight on her legs but they dismissed it and said if she didn't start within a couple of months to call back

Thanks! And thanks to all - I've been so mad at myself the last few days but I'm feeling so much better now. Love the notion of it being routine. Maybe he's just been prioritised because he's just that amazing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No, ring the PHN and query why there'll be a doctor there, you have the right to know about any concerns relating to your child. Do not sit and let it stew because you'll only get more and more worried.

Thanks guys, she's doing really well :) They had told us she'd be 10-14 days in the hospital but she was out within 5 so they must have been delighted with her. Surgeon was really surprised to see her recovering so quick. We're back with him on the 26th of August and with the cardiologist on the 25th so we'll see how everything is then. The surgeon did say that in 8 out of 10 cases he never needs to operate again but there's a 2/10 chance that it could regrow and she could need more surgery down the line so fingers crossed she's one of the eight!

Thanks! And thanks to all - I've been so mad at myself the last few days but I'm feeling so much better now. Love the notion of it being routine. Maybe he's just been prioritised because he's just that amazing!!!

From hse website:

Developmental Exams

Public Health Nurses carry out Developmental Examinations of babies at various stages.These are to check if the baby is growing properly and is able to do all that a baby of the particular age should.

They are done at :

Birth
    3 Months
    7 Months
    9-12 Months* (Doctors' Developmental)
    2 Years
    3 Years - Child is discharged unless there is some concern.
    *Doctors' Developmental exam is done between 9-12 months.
    An appointment will be sent by post. If you have not received an appointment by 12 months contact 01-2365200

Is the doctor check a new thing? None of mine ever had it.

January wrote: »

My first had it in June last year, I just assumed it was in place a whole but maybe not

Shedding a few tears of relief here; I actually did a pregnancy test because my emotions have run away with themselves but negative! January you have a little warrior on your hands!!! I'll put her in my thoughts over the next few days that she keeps doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Keiko

My daughter had her 9 month check with the doctor earlier this year. It's standard in my area. The reason for the doctor to be there as far as I know is because they do a quick heart check. Apart from that the appointment was pretty much the same as the PHN one at 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I'm waiting on my sons 9 month check. He had his 7 month check and the PHN said that a doctor examines them at 9 months so just waiting on the call. A friend of mine in a different area had a 6 month check with her son but no mention of another one. Think different areas have different policies.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I recall it was done once with my baby around that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My sons 9 month check in 2013 was also with 2 people for the hearing followed by the doctor (paediatrician), this is standard in my area (south Dublin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Neyite wrote: »
    Oh I had one of those babygros <3

Have a lovely big sniff of his yummy neck for me. I love that milky, powdery new-baby smell. :)

We used the infacol too. Its great when you find something that relieves their pain! How are you? Healing well? The worst of the pain should be over now for you.

Oh that newborn smell is just the smell of goodness and innocence and beauty all rolled into one, I can't stop smelling him!

I'm doing well Neyite thanks. The section itself was fine, it was the lack of pain relief the day after that will stay with me for some time! The maternity unit was exceptionally busy and their take on pain management was sketchy at best. That was in the immediate short term though, I was up and about quickly thankfully and have been feeling really well bar a bit weak because of a post partum hemmorage but am now taking iron. Because it was semi elective I didn't go through any labour so I don't have that fatigue that my pals tell me is so commonplace after a lengthy labour, my fanjita is in no way traumatised but the sensation in my tummy is still odd, a little numbness and the odd twinge and I feel very bloated still. All in all am doing really well though, have no pain and everything was worth it for my little darling anyway! :)

Also so pleased with how junior is feeding. Cleft babies can be extremely difficult to feed as we have to use specially adapted bottles and he's a right little Bon Vivant, he is lamping into the bottles and feeding him is a joy as the feeds are taking twenty minutes as opposed to the anticipated 90 as well as him really enjoying the experience. Paediatric nurse said the issue is minor and his first operation will take place around October time.
    Merkin, I'm only properly seeing your posts now! HUGE congratulations to you and Mr. Merkin. Glad to hear the little one is settling in well.

I'm absolutely exhausted today, I think the reality of the past two weeks have hit me today... Two weeks ago we got a phone call from Our Lady's Childrens Hospital Crumlin to say that our daughter was booked in for her open heart surgery the next Monday (21st July). Everything else is a whirlwind since... Thankfully our little warrior had her surgery on the 21st and was out of the hospital by the 25th! Unfortunately we had to go back on Tuesday to get one of the stitches removed because she wouldn't let the public health nurse near her and she needed to be sedated for it to happen (which resulted in another day admittance to the hospital) but sure who could blame the poor child after what she has been through!

I am so so happy your little one is doing so well, what a traumatic couple of weeks for you all. How is she doing now? I know it's so hard but you can console yourself with how these procedures are always so much harder on the parents than on the little ones, kids are as tough as old boots. A great sign too she was discharged so quickly, they must be very pleased with the result. Wishing her a full and speedy recovery xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Random question, and something I don't have to worry about for a while yet, but, I've heard people mention toddler beds. What's the difference between these and regular beds ... is there any reason you can't just go straight from cot to big bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Random question, and something I don't have to worry about for a while yet, but, I've heard people mention toddler beds. What's the difference between these and regular beds ... is there any reason you can't just go straight from cot to big bed?

They're lower to the ground so if they fall out, it's not a big drop. They also have sides to prevent them falling out, and they're a lot smaller in length, but you could get a normal bed and put barriers around it I suppose!

Back in work after being at home with bubs for two days. She's still not 100% so I feel awful for leaving her :( she's being collected from crèche by grandad in the afternoon so that's ok, but just want to stay cuddled up on the couch with her. Feeling very emotional lady few days so hope it's pms. My cycle is all over the place so I'm dying to get my period! Something I thought I'd never say!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
    Gripe water if you can get it. Also try an ounce of warm water with a tip of a spoon of brown sugar.

you can only use gripe water from 1 month

we are not going to bother wasting money on a toddler bed. he will be going into the bed we already have. we will put a side on it

Never had a toddler bed either just got a bed rail in lidl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We bought a normal single bed & OH took a couple of inches off the legs as it did feel quiet high.
    Never got a rail, put a duvet on the floor bedside the bed. He fell out a few times in the first week but would just hop back in & go back to sleep. He's never fallen out since.

We got toddler bed as moved her in to it so young at onky 17 months. She couldnt climb on to a regular bed. We got the bed and matress for less than 100 new so wasnt too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

January hope your little one is still doing well x

Merkin glad your well too xx

We were thinking of getting a toddler bed for our eldest she will be 2the end of this month need the cot soon for our new edition I still feel she is too small for a single bed

January hope your little one is still doing well x

Merkin glad your well too xx

We were thinking of getting a toddler bed for our eldest she will be 2the end of this month need the cot soon for our new edition I still feel she is too small for a single bed

id say get an ordinary bed once she is able to climb up on it. I would have gone straight for one if she was able. We have the disadvantage that we have no spare bed now. Many times when she was sick and in our bed it was very cramped. If she had a normal bed OH could have gone and slept in her bed. Saying that we went tgrough months of her being continually sick and i was pregnant so no wonder the bed was cramped. Since getting her grommets in jan shes been grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I put my little man straight into a normal bed with a side guard. I put the foam alphabet mats on the floor beside his bed just in case but he was in a double bed and never fell out. Well not yet anyway lol

• Advertisement

Question about the beds..... At what age are ye moving them into big beds?

As soon as the little buggers learn to somersault out of the cots lol that's when I did it anyway because I got the fright of life seeing my son saunter into my room one morning. I still don't know how he got down the other side but my nerves were gone after that and was afraid he might not get out the next time injury free. You would probably want them to be very sturdy at that point and keep room safe and stair gate across the door frame to make sure there is no wandering into bathrooms etc while everyone is sleeping.

Thanks my LG doesn't attempt to get out of the cot yet ( touch wood) she will be 2the end of this month but will need the cot for her sister in a couple of months she is in a crib at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Our son was 2. He never tried to climb out of his cot but when we went on holidays & we had to put him in a bed as they had no cot. When we came home & tried to put him back in his cot he screamed bloody murder, we went out that week & bought him a new bed & have never looked back since:)

Thanks my LG doesn't attempt to get out of the cot yet ( touch wood) she will be 2the end of this month but will need the cot for her sister in a couple of months she is in a crib at the moment

I wouldn't recommend it if you think baba isn't ready because you won't get a wink. If you get really stuck when new baba is out of the Moses basket you could maybe try one in a travel cot?

I moved her at 17 months to toddler bed as couldnt lift het anymore due to spd whem pregnant. Wasnt a bother on her. Her room us baby proof. Gate on the top of the stairs not her room but she has never come out. She calls us if she needs us which only every happened when she wasnt well.

• Advertisement

Suucee wrote: »
    I moved her at 17 months to toddler bed as couldnt lift het anymore due to spd whem pregnant. Wasnt a bother on her. Her room us baby proof. Gate on the top of the stairs not her room but she has never come out. She calls us if she needs us which only every happened when she wasnt well.

I know that feeling. I struggled to get my son out of the bath with spd. Always needed help with it. He also escaped the house when I was pregnant and knew that I couldn't get to him if he was low so he would drop to the ground. I ended up wrestling with him on the ground in just a pair of knickers and a top while heavily pregnant outside the front of my house. Good times :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

What nappies do people find best for newborns? I'm using Pampers Newborn Sensitive in the white pack. However I don't find them great. I have size 1 (she is probably about 7.5lb) but as she's long and petite they kind of hang off her bum and all the urine runs to the back and saturates it while the front is still dry. Also the chemical smell when the gel gets wet is horrible.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    What nappies do people find best for newborns? I'm using Pampers Newborn Sensitive in the white pack. However I don't find them great. I have size 1 (she is probably about 7.5lb) but as she's long and petite they kind of hang off her bum and all the urine runs to the back and saturates it while the front is still dry. Also the chemical smell when the gel gets wet is horrible.

Lilly was 7lb 8 born. Long and slim baby. We used the pampers newborn in the yellow packs. Sizes 1,2 and 3. Found them great. We've now just started using pampers baby dry size 3 as she is now sleeping longer at night (4 months old) :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We switched to Aldi own brand size 1 when our baby was a week old because the Pampers were leaking up his back a half hour after being put on and they gave him blisters on his bum :( He was 7lb1oz when born and also very long and petite. Never had a problem since with the Aldi ones.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Lilly was 7lb 8 born. Long and slim baby. We used the pampers newborn in the yellow packs. Sizes 1,2 and 3. Found them great. We've now just started using pampers baby dry size 3 as she is now sleeping longer at night (4 months old) :).

Thanks! I'll try the yellow pack so and see how we go. I bought baby dry size 2 on sale ages ago without realising they are meant to be for night time.........I assume it's no real harm to put them on her whenever she fits them - I assume they are just more absorbent? Which would be a good thing cos she pees huge amounts and HATES being wet.

• Advertisement

We switched to Aldi own brand size 1 when our baby was a week old because the Pampers were leaking up his back a half hour after being put on and they gave him blisters on his bum :( He was 7lb1oz when born and also very long and petite. Never had a problem since with the Aldi ones.

Ah so you had the same problem. We had a damp back twice before I realised the problem and now I'm just changing much more frequently which has worked for us. Are the aldi ones a lot thicker and more absorbent?

Talk to me about playpens people. Would I be right in saying a travel cot would do more or less the same job? She's roaming free at the moment but getting so, so fast and daring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ah so you had the same problem. We had a damp back twice before I realised the problem and now I'm just changing much more frequently which has worked for us. Are the aldi ones a lot thicker and more absorbent?

The aldi ones are way way thicker. I used them at night as he slept the whole night from 8 weeks and I used pampers during the day :) I always have a collection of the nappies on the go! He is in size 4 at tho mo in lidl and dunnes but bought 4+ in pampers yesterday. Boots are very good too :)

We used the baby dry on our son all say everyday as they were very absorbant and havent loiked back since. pampers newborn, lidl, boots all leaked on him. he peed loads!!!! lol. Our wee girl had a sensitive wee bum and when we initially put the baby dry on her at a few weeks she got a rash from them aswell. But she's 4 months now so maybe not as sensitive and is grand in the baby dry now which we use all day as night. She never leaked once from the yellow pack newborn and i found tjem lovely and soft. Make sure you do them up tight. I always wonder if I was doing the nappies tight enough wit my son as he was forever springing leaks! Lol. We had to change his baby Gros like 3 times a night and our hearts were broke
    With it! Never looked back since started using the baby dry with him. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Talk to me about playpens people. Would I be right in saying a travel cot would do more or less the same job? She's roaming free at the moment but getting so, so fast and daring.

The travel cot isn't really fair if they're flying around the place- a stair gate to confine them to the sitting room- and edge guards on the furniture are more what you need. I think you're past the travel cot as a playpen stage. Sounds like you've a particularly lively munchkin there- remember they say- curiousity is a sign of intelligence. Feed their curiousity!

I got a travel cot but in hindsight I would prefer a playpen as you will get longer out of it. I am buying a playpen now anyway as I am going to give travel cot to childminder. If you do go down travel cot route get one that has the 4 panels see through and get a big one 120cm x 60cm. Argos have one at the mo very very similar to baby dan one http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1574690/Trail/searchtext%3EPLAYPEN.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yup I find the Aldi ones brilliant, they are very absorbent. Our fella goes down at around half 8 at night and usually we wouldn't change him until he starts stirring around 6am and by then the nappy will be huge and super heavy but still not leaking :) We tried the lidl ones too but they weren't as good.

Yup I find the Aldi ones brilliant, they are very absorbent. Our fella goes down at around half 8 at night and usually we wouldn't change him until he starts stirring around 6am and by then the nappy will be huge and super heavy but still not leaking :) We tried the lidl ones too but they weren't as good.

Lidl ones are super thin, we have never chanced them at night. I like them during the day as because Aldis are so thick closing dungarees used to be a problem :D I have only used aldi, pampers and dunnes at night :)

Millem wrote: »
    I got a travel cot but in hindsight I would prefer a playpen as you will get longer out of it. I am buying a playpen now anyway as I am going to give travel cot to childminder. If you do go down travel cot route get one that has the 4 panels see through and get a big one 120cm x 60cm. Argos have one at the mo very very similar to baby dan one http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1574690/Trail/searchtext%3EPLAYPEN.htm

Baby dan playpen is fantastic!!!! We put out fella in for half hour each morning so I can get stuff done and I know he is safe. If I need to go upstairs with baby for a minute out toddler will go in and I know he's safe. This playpen can also be used as a room divider etc so you get best of both worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I have a playpen in the sitting room but I only use it if I need to leave the room, and only for a few minutes. It's much bigger than a travel cot, and he can stand up in it. Otherwise he's free to roam! I put Clevamamma edge guard on everything he's likely to whack himself against - the TV cabinet, the edge of the wall beside said cabinet, the window ledge (It's a low window, the ledge is about his chest height standing) and anything else that might get a head bounced off it! I'm babyproofing as I go; it's not until I see him gnawing on a wire or what have you that I realise I need to do something about it! This morning, he followed me out into the hall and tried to eat the radiator pipe. Not a problem now, but it may be come winter when it's on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement