Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nett disposable income now versus 3 years ago

Options
  • 29-07-2014 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all, is it just me or I am seeing things I just did a quick calc on what the nett disposable income is now versus 3 years ago. By my calculations there is a 8% difference between then and now . 8% of my gross with property tax and water charges added to that make budgeting very tight ...its bordering crazy ..we as a group have taken a massive financial hit and the extra CP /HRA hours piled on top of that.

Is there any light at the end of this? What is the chance we will have a pay restoration element brought in before the next election? I see they have agreed to increase doctors pay so what is the prognosis for us? I am not holding for much but I would like some good news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I think a pay claim wont be far away to be honest, might be at end of HRA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

You know the long Summer hols can have one slight catch, no money to do anything ! Would love even a few days in London , not a chance !

By the way OP you should compare it with SIX years ago ! And as for NQTs , well they're paid in STERLING!:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

TheDriver wrote: »

Aren't there two "pay rises" of 735 due on April 1st 2017 and January 1st 2018 under Haddington Road (to pay for supervision and substitution)

We'd be hard pressed getting them to pay up for that. . . Never mind a pay claim.

True peter but a claim sets the tone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think the end of HRA will bring another drive by the government to further erode pay and conditions. There seems to be no consequence for them doing it. They have tied their recent electoral performance to other issues and haven't made any link to 300000 public servants and their families being angry and generally pi**ed off.

They will say that we are getting €1500 over 2 years and that'll do us. If they do give it to they will tie it to more "productivity" in which case I would be in favour of them shoving it up their backside!

• Advertisement

Hence a pay claim could counter act any addition to what we are owed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Definitely won't be any unplanned pay ' increase' for public sector this year or next year . If anything itll be done by a decrease in pension deduction or USC.

Also I would guess that a lifting of moratorium on posts or better ptr would ever come before a pay rise.

I think the thing that govt. needed to be seen to be doing most was driving down wages so it could claim it was reforming the Public Sector. The last thing they need as a headline is 'Public sector pay increases' ... the tabloids would have a field day.

indeed, I think something will come, even if its the promised part of HRA for starters and decrease in pension levy etc. Once you reach over the 35k cutoff point, its about 60% gone for every penny earned after. Posts, even DP and P posts aren't worth it at the moment...............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah it's disheartening to lose so much in taxes etc. but for the next 10 years there will be tough budgets due to EU legislation concerning debt levels. The budget deficit is only the start of it. Once it's down to <3% there be focus on our 200bn debt pile. In the context of that they will keep attacking our wages, conditions and numbers because there hasn't been anything to dissuade them from coming after us. As for increases, can't see it for at least another 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

indeed, I think something will come, even if its the promised part of HRA for starters and decrease in pension levy etc. Once you reach over the 35k cutoff point, its about 60% gone for every penny earned after. Posts, even DP and P posts aren't worth it at the moment...............
    Attack has always been the best means of defence.

I wonder though will what happened before (PCW? not sure) happen again - that any increases given are only given to management?

• Advertisement

Pwpane wrote: »
    Attack has always been the best means of defence.

I wonder though will what happened before (PCW? not sure) happen again - that any increases given are only given to management?

Don't think so, management in teaching is a post allowance and not a separate salary so it actually hits very little (take 750 odd schools). In fact there are a number of P and DP returning to teaching recently and saying bye bye to the allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Sadly any future restoration of pay will be portrayed as a pay rise in the media and no doubt the incumbents will try and tie it to further productivity measures. 2017/18 is a long time to wait for restoration of pay in the face of increased taxation, and we are not in a period of deflation either. In the meantime, there is talk of of adjusting the income tax system in future budgets so people have more take home pay. One might even wonder if this means the financial emergency has passed and FEMPI legislation is no longer needed...fat chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Pay rise.....?? We didn't get paid at all today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Sure we're on holidays - why would we want to be paid?? :p

Joys of an ETB-paid as normal today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Icsics wrote: »
    Pay rise.....?? We didn't get paid at all today!

Lots of people didn't get paid today. It was a Bank of Ireland fcuk up. Stop being so dramatic.

Lots of people didn't get paid today. It was a Bank of Ireland fcuk up. Stop being so dramatic.

It's the responsibility of the DES to ensure teachers are paid ON TIME. . They have failed TWICE this year to ensure this occurs.

It is THEIR decision to use BofI.

Naturally, of course, they are more than willing to pass the buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Peter could you remind me when the other time was? I never remember it being a day late before, just later in the day. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

It is 'dramatic' rainbow trout....direct debits out as normal, no pay

It's the responsibility of the DES to ensure teachers are paid ON TIME. . They have failed TWICE this year to ensure this occurs.

And it is also beyond the DES control if Bank of Ireland IT systems did not work properly yesterday. It affected private sector workers too.

• Advertisement

Icsics wrote: »
    It is 'dramatic' rainbow trout....direct debits out as normal, no pay

And the banks have said they will waive any charges rating to the delay which would presumably happen if a DD was applied to account where there was no money due to the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Are you being serious with this post or have I missed a joke?

seavill wrote: »
    Are you being serious with this post or have I missed a joke?

Very serious. . . It happened earlier this year too primary teachers. . . The DES are responsible 100% for the payment on time of their staff. Not any Bank.

Very serious. . . It happened earlier this year too primary teachers. . . The DES are responsible 100% for the payment on time of their staff. Not any Bank.

For someone that teaches science and maths I'm amazed at your comments. It's completely illogical to suggest that it's the DES fault. Read the article in this morning's Irish Times. The file prepared by the bank was not completed properly yesterday so payments did not go through. This means the DES posted payment to the bank on time - their part of the transaction was complete, the bank made an error on their file. How you can attribute that fault to the DES is beyond me.

It's comments like the one above that the media love to jump on and which it's hard for the public to take public sector workers seriously.

Gardai, civil servants, teachers and private workers didn't get paid yesterday due to this banking fault.

For someone that teaches science and maths I'm amazed at your comments. It's completely illogical to suggest that it's the DES fault. Read the article in this morning's Irish Times. The file prepared by the bank was not completed properly yesterday so payments did not go through. This means the DES posted payment to the bank on time - their part of the transaction was complete, the bank made an error on their file. How you can attribute that fault to the DES is beyond me.

It's comments like the one above that the media love to jump on and which it's hard for the public to take public sector workers seriously.

Gardai, civil servants, teachers and private workers didn't get paid yesterday due to this banking fault.

The DES choose to use BofI.

They screwed up earlier this year. There was no consequence because they screwed up again.

Therefore the DES should stop using BofI.

Your comments about the "media taking PS workers seriously" are juvenile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

The DES choose to use BofI.

They screwed up earlier this year. There was no consequence because they screwed up again.

Therefore the DES should stop using BofI.

Your comments about the "media taking PS workers seriously" are juvenile.

So, a bank change every time an EFT error is made?

The dept would be running out of banks pretty soon....

So, a bank change every time an EFT error is made?

The dept would be running out of banks pretty soon....

How many banks are there in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Peter, would you mind telling me when they missed a pay date earlier in the year.

talk about going off topic lads. The banking forum is dat a way>>>>>>>

• Advertisement

How many banks are there in the world?

Are you seriously suggesting that DES start banking outside the country if they worked their way through the 6 or 7 banks that operate in Ireland. Now that is juvenile.

And yes the media love to show public sector in a negative light so love to highlight illogical rants.

Advertisement