Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

This seems as good a place as any - has anybody been to Monza before and have they any tips? Just booked flights for that weekend, looking at the rest of the itinerary over the next few days

Haven't been, but go to the track way too early. Traffic around there is the worst of the whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yeah, we're getting the trains down early on Friday/Saturday/Sunday from Milan, not driving down to it as I heard it's a bit of a 'mare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Yeah, we're getting the trains down early on Friday/Saturday/Sunday from Milan, not driving down to it as I heard it's a bit of a 'mare

Be very careful in packed crowds, i know it probably wont happen but to you but i went back in 01. I was only 11 at the time so my dad took all our money and put it in his wallet with all the credit cards. On Sunday we were in an awning looking at the Ferrari and he got pick-pocketed, resulting in a fairly sh1t end to the weekend. So keep your money safe and keep a few notes in your bag!!

Other than that if you don't have grandstand seats get there really early, we didn't and we couldn't really find anywhere to get up against the fence.

Also there is a small free stand on the straight before Ascari, just after the cars cross underneath the old oval, i strongly suggest spending a session there. The cars are literally feet away absolutely flat out, it was amazing with the V10s id still say its impressive with the v6's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

How can you not like this guy :D

dancing-ricciardo.gif

What was that all about, anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mexican Grand Prix to return next season.

I hope they will retain the current layout:

Mexico%20City.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wonder who is getting the boot to fit it in.
    Article has Azerbaijan coming on board too, looks like a street circuit currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Saw this vid about the track in Mexico City and the modification it requires to host F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Wow, I am seriously annoyed that they are going to butcher the track that horribly. Aside from the obvious annoyance of taking the stadium detour instead of Peraltada, what on earth are they doing at Turn 6? Removing all of the esses between there and Turn 9 and replacing it with a straight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Wow, I am seriously annoyed that they are going to butcher the track that horribly. Aside from the obvious annoyance of taking the stadium detour instead of Peraltada, what on earth are they doing at Turn 6? Removing all of the esses between there and Turn 9 and replacing it with a straight?

Yeah, what I remember about the track was that it was hugely bumpy, Peraltada was spectacular and because Mexico City was at altitude engines kept expiring or not lasting the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's because of that bumpiness that the FIA probably thought fit to renovate the track. As for cutting off the Peraltada, I'm guessing safety concerns were the culprit. IIRC it was slightly banked, unlike Monza's Curva Grande or Parabolica, so there's a risk that someone could go airborne if they took it too fast.

EDIT: I only remember the Peraltada being banked because of a track mod for GTR2. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

So Flav has been appointed to sort out F1s dwindling popularity problems ! Only in F1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Infoanon wrote: »
    So Flav has been appointed to sort out F1s dwindling popularity problems ! Only in F1

How to solve F1's dwindling popularity problems (in the UK at least) in 10 'easy' steps:

1) Sack Hermann Tilke
    2) Get full & free F1 coverage back on the BBC, Sky F1 is mostly overpriced filler.
    3) Get rid of Suzy Perry, & get Jake Humphrey back involved
    4) Get rid of all the Tilke-dromes, & replace with historic, decent tracks
    5) The new engine noise while 'interesting', lacks any emotional impact...sort that out asap
    6) Get rid of two of the three practice sessions, a 1 hour session is all teams get to introduce uncertainty
    7) Lower prices of GP attendance, get those seats filled.
    8) Get more engine manufacturers involved, BMW, Toyota, Cosworth etc
    9) Clamp down on spending limit evasion (Red Bull Technology <-> Red Bull Racing etc)
    10) Sprinklers (:D)

Joking aside, I've really enjoyed this season so far tbh. Yes Merc are dominant, but what's new about a dominant team in F1. At least it's a dominant team, & not a dominant driver...big difference. I've enjoyed the new cars, & how much of a handful they can be. The noise isn't a problem for me really, but when you hear back a few years it just makes you think "that's how they should sound!". Some great racing, & really enjoyable stuff for the most part.

Sauber. What an awful season they are having. No points scored even though their drivers have been in points scoring positions in some races only to retire.

I'm not a fan of the team, but it's sad to see them the way they are currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

They're really having a terrible time of it, but find me a team that hasn't endured a terrible season or two. Williams were in. A similar boat recently and now they're right up there, which is fantastic. Sauber could turn it around with the right people, but finding them is tough.

• Advertisement

It's because of that bumpiness that the FIA probably thought fit to renovate the track. As for cutting off the Peraltada, I'm guessing safety concerns were the culprit. IIRC it was slightly banked, unlike Monza's Curva Grande or Parabolica, so there's a risk that someone could go airborne if they took it too fast.

EDIT: I only remember the Peraltada being banked because of a track mod for GTR2. :pac:

I would agree with this, FIA are looking at this from a safety point of view only I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just to clarify, "Flav" as in Flavio Briatore?
    Jeeesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

flazio wrote: »
    Just to clarify, "Flav" as in Flavio Briatore?
    Jeeesus Christ.

The one and only.

Did you not see the resemblance between the Seb & Perez spins and that of poor old Piquet Jr.?

/runs

thirteen. wrote: »
    The one and only.

Did you not see the resemblance between the Seb & Perez spins and that of poor old Piquet Jr.?
    /runs

I think you might possibly be stretching things there :D

Zcott wrote: »
    I think you might possibly be stretching things there :D

More believable than the Hamilton conspiracy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Even more cynical: Why do you think the FIA want generic ECU's? So Flav can pressed a button whenever he likes to make the show more interesting. Imagine getting paid to just press a button - jobs for the boys.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ted's Notebook: "Every team has to shut down, turn off the phones, emails and servers, and take a 2 week holiday."

What does this mean? Is this an FIA rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I wonder does that rule extend to Red Bull Technology Ltd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Vettel won every race after last year's break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,382 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think it's just an agreement between the teams, save costs and let everyone recharge. While factory is closed I think other offices, marketing department etc can continue to do work

If chassis needs to rebuilt between now and next race a team could apply for dispensation to allow a small team of workers do that

here's some info from mclaren about it
    http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2012/Belgian-Grand-Prix/were-in-the-summer-shutdown/

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Sauber. What an awful season they are having. No points scored even though their drivers have been in points scoring positions in some races only to retire.

I'm not a fan of the team, but it's sad to see them the way they are currently.

While the car is very very poor, they have in my opinion two very poor drivers and this is not helping them.

Apparently standing safety car restarts won't be happening next year, German link:

http://ams.to/KK

Caterham now suing the employees who were dismissed and threatened to sue Caterham.

Sounds like a team in self destruct mode - would not be surprised if Kobi is out before Spa.

Marmorini departs Ferrari.

So Marco Mattiacci has started wielding the axe. Rumours going around that Pat Fry has been fired too.

Mark Hughes on Twitter today said the below... Thoughts?

"So Bottas/Magnussen at McLaren 2015? Vandoorne in the wings. Leaving a Button-sized vacancy at Williams? Happy hols."

• Advertisement

I don't think Williams care about much other than money.

I don't think Williams care about much other than money.

I don't know about that; they've been investing in the right people on the engineering side and I imagine that goes for drivers too. Neither Massa nor Bottas is a slouch.

Besides, at this moment in time Williams is actually an upgrade for Button...

I don't know about that; they've been investing in the right people on the engineering side and I imagine that goes for drivers too. Neither Massa nor Bottas is a slouch.

3 years of Maldonado says otherwise. :pac: Massa is only there because of the money he brings as well.

How true is that. They're a total unknown for 2015 too, with the Honda engine deal. Is Massa confirmed at Williams for 2015, or could he end up out?

I think Massa has a fairly long contract with Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It would be a shame for Williams to lose Bottas, he is getting fantastic results for them and there could be a win in there.

Button is popular with Honda and would be a strong development driver which Mclaren will need next year, with ongoing internal strife a shake up at Mclaren in 2016 may be more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I don't see Williams letting go of Bottas to get Button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If Williams keep going the way they are they could well be contenders next year, with Button in the car I just dont see it, he has been going off the boil the last year and a half, regardless of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Gintonious wrote: »
    If Williams keep going the way they are they could well be contenders next year, with Button in the car I just dont see it, he has been going off the boil the last year and a half, regardless of the car.

Where are you getting this from? When Perez moved to Mclaren for last season he was thought of as a seriously good driver, comfortably beaten by Button. Kevin Magussen has been talked about by guys like Ron Dennis as a future world champion, trailing Button 39:60 in points. Doesn't look gone off the boil to me.

I'm sure I've said it elsewhere but I would've thought that Button was a big part of the Honda deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,382 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think Button would be a good choice for one seat in a Honda McLaren, very experienced and solid, British driver. I don't think he'd be tied into the Honda McLaren deal but I imagine he's popular with Honda

On the other side of things, given it was Whitmarsh who brought Jenson there he mightn't have as much support inside McLaren as he had before. I'm sure McLaren will be analysing performance of drivers, hopefully it doesn't go against Button and McLaren see the experience he has as something they need for next year

I think Button would be a good choice for one seat in a Honda McLaren, very experienced and solid, British driver. I don't think he'd be tied into the Honda McLaren deal but I imagine he's popular with Honda

On the other side of things, given it was Whitmarsh who brought Jenson there he mightn't have as much support inside McLaren as he had before. I'm sure McLaren will be analysing performance of drivers, hopefully it doesn't go against Button and McLaren see the experience he has as something they need for next year

Mansour Ojjeh is back at Mclaren and there are rumours that Rons days may be numbered. Ron brought in Kevin Magnussen.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Mansour Ojjeh is back at Mclaren and there are rumours that Rons days may be numbered. Ron brought in Kevin Magnussen.

Either way, McLaren are in a transition period and will be for the next year or two. Button might be best upgrading to Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Here's a video I took at the last lap of the Hungaroring. What a race!

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff, what a race to be at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pulled from the Funny Gifs thread, when did this happen?
    wUd7WmC.gif

^ That was at the 2010 Chinese GP.

Jaime Alguersuari if I recall?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Jaime Alguersuari if I recall?

Nope. Sebastien Buemi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement