Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie buying a kayak

Options
  • 05-07-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi
    I'm looking to buy a kayak and cant decide between a wilderness systems tempest and venture capella. any thoughts im leaning for the tempest by all accounts it seems to get better reviews.
    tha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

I have a wilderness tempest 17 - I find the seating position could be better, back band is hard to tighten with the strap system, but still getting used to it.
    Otherwise cant fault it.

Done a lot of reading reviews before hand. Seems to be well suited to sea conditions here. Have not tried it in rough sea conditions yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Anybody know where I can get a recreational kayak, For lake a river use. Something like this, Something suitable for a larger gentleman (wide cockpit, comfortable seat. good leg room)

Does not need to be anything fancy. preferably 2nd hand in good condition.

Preferably in the Roscommon area

dagger-zydeco-9-kayak_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Second hand try the usuals Dondeal, adverst etc. If you're looking for new Try Great Outdoors in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

If you happen to be in the UK (Poole, Bridgwater or west of them), theres a store www.thisisitstores.co.uk that has an offer £200 for a sit-on-top kayak with back rest and paddle.

The maker is Trail Outdoor Leisure (who seem to do mainly camping stuff). Bought two of them and we're off !!!, have used them a few times already, seem to work fine. No doubt are not 'the real deal', but sure neither am I so until I can hugely into it it seems like a good deal. The paddle is a break-in-two affair and seems a bit flimsy but sure will do a while.

Has anyone in the know seen these?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Only ones i can see are these

http://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/product/ABC11201.html

dont see any for 200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Not sure the offer was online but definitely there in the store (I see a review from a chap from Poole who paid £199, which is what I paid in Bridgwater).

Anyone who knows their stuff offer a view on them? - my early experiences are good, but then I dont have anything to compare it to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Kuker321

I have little exerience with kayaks but I can tell you that I prefer open kayaks to sit in kayaks as when you capsize on a sit in it will almost always fill with water and it can be awkward if you're new to empty it and flip over while your still in the water but open kayaks you can just flip over and hop back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulme

Hi guys, can anybody recommend a decent touring kayak for mostly river and lake use? Hoping to use it for camping too, so it would need to have decent storage. I don't want to spend too much as I'm a complete noob, and not sure how committed I'l stay to the sport.

Advertisement