Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turf Cutting in spite of Ban

Options
  • 23-06-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0622/625674-galway-bog/

As per RTÉ news the Special Area of Conservation is still being cut in Galway... as Gardaí watch on. (The same Gardaí who are more than willing to intervene when other non damaging protests occur)

The Turf cutting machiences in use are definitely not part of the heritage which built up the supposed "established right to cut turf".

This is illegal by Irish and European law, but what annoys me most is that these guys are probably subsidised by my taxes :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hiring in people with machinery to do the cutting would be like indigenous peoples hiring Japanese whaling ships as part of their culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I know they hire machines but didn't think they went as far as hiring workers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Grudaire wrote: »
    I know they hire machines but didn't think they went as far as hiring workers...

Well a lot of the cutting is done by contractors who brought in. If you have a small patch of bog it is more viable to take advantage of contractors. Hence Ming's organisation is called the 'Turf Cutters & Contractors Association'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

More power to those cutting turf, they have my full support. Turf cutting is part of our heritage and is something that has passed on from generation to generation Bloody nanny state this Country has turned into. Fcuk the begrudgers!

You're probably a wind up, but sure I'll bite...

Those machines were passed down from generation to generation now we're they?

Also cutting turf was only banned in a handful of bogs which were deemed to be special, turf cutting has not been banned in most of this countries bogs despite what Ming et all would have you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Grudaire wrote: »
    You're probably a wind up, but sure I'll bite...

Those machines were passed down from generation to generation now we're they?

Also cutting turf was only banned in a handful of bogs which were deemed to be special, turf cutting has not been banned in most of this countries bogs despite what Ming et all would have you believe.

No windup! No need to be smart now with your machines passed down comment!

The art of turf cutting was passed down weather it be the old fashioned way or via machine, which by the way people need training on, so yet another skill passed down.

Don't know what point you're trying to prove with ming. I know a lot of bogs don't fall under this EU crap, i own and work my own for my own use.

Machine turf cutting is not part of our heritage, it is far more efficient at getting turf from a bog and far more damaging as a result.

I love the smell of turf, and don't really want turf cutting stopped totally. However the fact is that these boss have been deemed special for a reason.

The fact is that these areas offer unique habitats and biodiversity.

Don't tell me that you value an inefficient fuel source over stopping turf cutting in small areas (which affected individuals were offered compensation for)

Advertisement