Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

homemade beauty products

• 15-01-2011 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

Who makes these?

Today I wanted to pamper myself but i'm trying to save money. I'm sitting here with a eggy/olive oil mask in my hair.... :o noones around.

I thought maybe a thread on the stuff that works and doesn't work might be good.

Anyone got any good examples?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Brown sugar and lemon juice makes for a good exfoliator.

Not homemade, but Epsom Salts are really cheap. They're really good if you have sore muscles after exercise. Radox is pretty expensive, so you could buy a cheap bubble bath in Boots for the bubbles and then throw in a handful of the salts. Can also be used as an exfoliator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Well I washed the mask out this morning and its i've VERY SHINEY hair. its not soft like i thought it would be but it feels volumey which I didn't expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

You can clean your skin with oil:

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/
    http://www.makeupfix.net/2008/01/skin-care-oil-cleansing-method.html

You have to find your ideal ratio of castor oil/other oil, but it works pretty well and makes your skin very soft but still clean :) I love it.

It gets rid of blackheads and the like by doing this once or twice (depending on how thorough you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Who makes these?

Today I wanted to pamper myself but i'm trying to save money. I'm sitting here with a eggy/olive oil mask in my hair.... :o noones around.

I thought maybe a thread on the stuff that works and doesn't work might be good.

Anyone got any good examples?

i did something like that before, but i think i had the shower too hot when i went to wash it out - the egg kind of cooked !!

oh and if putting olive oil in your hair you should put it mainly on the ends, if you put too much on the roots its very hard to wash out and may make your hair veryy greasy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

PlayGirl wrote: »
    i did something like that before, but i think i had the shower too hot when i went to wash it out - the egg kind of cooked !!

oh and if putting olive oil in your hair you should put it mainly on the ends, if you put too much on the roots its very hard to wash out and may make your hair veryy greasy!

Strange, my hairs been very volumous today even at the roots.
    :eek: thats what i was afraid of when i washed my hair but thankfully it didnt cook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

You can clean your skin with oil:

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/
    http://www.makeupfix.net/2008/01/skin-care-oil-cleansing-method.html

You have to find your ideal ratio of castor oil/other oil, but it works pretty well and makes your skin very soft but still clean :) I love it.

It gets rid of blackheads and the like by doing this once or twice (depending on how thorough you are.

doesn't this take a lot of dedication too, i always go back to reading up on it and my inherent laziness tells me i would give up after a couple of goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

doesn't this take a lot of dedication too, i always go back to reading up on it and my inherent laziness tells me i would give up after a couple of goes.

Dedication? You can do it any time you want, and I've never found it to be something that you need to do at a specific frequency. I don't use this method very often myself, only about once or twice a week for a proper deep cleansing of my skin, when I see that it needs it. The flannel/towel that you use for the steaming feels very good btw!

I can't say it reduces blemishes, because I've never had problem skin myself (I try my best to not use any products on my skin other than makeup remover and water, because if I do it definitely becomes worse). I have noticed though that if I'm starting to get a pimple and I do the OCM, it's mostly gone by the next day and never fully develops.

My skin is (apparently) oily, or rather it's oily if I clean it too much with harsher cleansers, but I've never found the OCM to make it oilier (once the oils have been wiped out properly and absorbed into the skin ofc!) I'm not sure how drier skins would react. But I'd definitely recommend that you try it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭suzerxxx

i make lip balm by melting bees wax and vaseline or lanolin and something like honey/ strawbrry milkshake mix whatever flavour you want then pour into a little tub and let it set!

i also make the sugar and salt and olive oil scrub its great!

i make a face mask/ scrub with porrage oats and honey and a little warm water

Advertisement