Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another person pushed under bus

Options
  • 31-07-2014 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Aston Quay this evening, junkie pushed another junkie under a bus. Traffic chaos now. Heart goes out to the bus driver and the many witnesses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Aston Quay this evening, junkie pushed another junkie under a bus. Traffic chaos now. Heart goes out to the bus driver and the many witnesses.

Why didn't someone else push the other prick under? Start the cleansing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

What bus number?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

and the victim! hopefully he or she is okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Delightful display of sympathy for the lad who was pushed.Drug addicts are still people too,believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Bus drivers are people too.:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

At this stage Aston Quay should have a cop on duty 24/7-it's by far the most dangerous spot in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

gugleguy wrote: »
    Bus drivers are people too.:(

OP didn't speak of the unfortunate bus driver in such denigrating terms as the victim though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

I apologise if the word junkie offends people, that's just what I and most people(and everyone I heard discussing the incident directly afterwards) call them.. don't mean any offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It was bus route 145, didn't see it happen just seen hundreds of onlookers crowding around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

sabat wrote: »
    At this stage Aston Quay should have a cop on duty 24/7-it's by far the most dangerous spot in the city.

Thats pretty much already the situation.

Most every evening when I walk for my 79 there will be two Gardaí with the gloves on searching junkies.

I don't know the solution, all this stopping and searching isn't shifting them on. But I do see the Gardaí working Aston Quay for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Delightful display of sympathy for the lad who was pushed.Drug addicts are still people too,believe it or not.

Horrible selfish people. Wouldn't shed a tear if a hundred of them dissapeared.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Would agree with what other posters have said about Aston quay. It's an awful stop to have to wait for a bus, if I'm on o connell street late in the evening I'll ofter walk up to nassau or Kildare street to get the bus rather than hang around that area. For Aston quay specifically ice had to wait for the 145 late some nights for the 9pm train to Cork and it's not nice at all.

Would agree with what other posters have said about Aston quay. It's an awful stop to have to wait for a bus, if I'm on o connell street late in the evening I'll ofter walk up to nassau or Kildare street to get the bus rather than hang around that area. For Aston quay specifically ice had to wait for the 145 late some nights for the 9pm train to Cork and it's not nice at all.

yup had one such, come up to me today looking for a euro to go carlow. naturally he told me he wasn't a beggar, but the methadone all over his lips did not instill faith in him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

yup had one such, come up to me today looking for a euro to go carlow. naturally he told me he wasn't a beggar, but the methadone all over his lips did not instill faith in him.

A favorite was when I was outside connolly and a woman was coming up to everyone asking could they lend her money to hop on the train to limerick, a train that leaves from the cities other station. Ugh. Guards moved her like three times previously that hour apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Horrible selfish people. Wouldn't shed a tear if a hundred of them dissapeared.

And one day you may have a child who.may turn into.a drug addict.

bumper234 wrote: »
    And one day you may have a child who.may turn into.a drug addict.

Turn how. The consensus is beginning to change on the nature of addictions. The old bs of one hit of heroin and your hooked for life, is just that bs. Granted some of them are charming as hell, addiction is not something which simply grips someone. The rituals, setting, etc add to the addictive nature, of a drug that is otherwise not nearly as addicting as the myth perpetuate.

Turn how. The consensus is beginning to change on the nature of addictions. The old bs of one hit of heroin and your hooked for life, is just that bs. Granted some of them are charming as hell, addiction is not something which simply grips someone. The rituals, setting, etc add to the addictive nature, of a drug that is otherwise not nearly as addicting as the myth perpetuate.

Am not saying it's one hit and you're addicted! Am saying one day you or me or any other poster here may have a child who becomes a drug addict. Do you think that you and yours are immune to addiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I never have any issues at that stop.

Once when i was walking there though I did see a guy looking extremely ill, so much so i stopped and gave him some water and knelt with him to make sure he was ok, he was obviously off his head but i couldn't just leave him to possibly die in the middle of the street. Two people told me "don't bother love, he's a junkie"/"leave him to it, you wont get any thanks from him", and then someone started taking photos..?!

They're still people ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Tasden wrote: »
    I never have any issues at that stop.

Once when i was walking there though I did see a guy looking extremely ill, so much so i stopped and gave him some water and knelt with him to make sure he was ok, he was obviously off his head but i couldn't just leave him to possibly die in the middle of the street. Two people told me "don't bother love, he's a junkie"/"leave him to it, you wont get any thanks from him", and then someone started taking photos..?!

They're still people ffs

A lot of people - perhaps the same type of people that made the comment to you - don't like to think of their own 'recreational' use of certain drugs in social settings as creating a demand, and as a result contributing to the prevalence and availability of a wide range drugs throughout the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think quite a few people posting here need to take a deep breath before posting again

Am not saying it's one hit and you're addicted! Am saying one day you or me or any other poster here may have a child who becomes a drug addict. Do you think that you and yours are immune to addiction?

You talk about it like it is a disease. It has never been proven as such. Scientific opinion is moving away from this conclusion, as it lack imperical merit.

You talk about it like it is a disease. It has never been proven as such. Scientific opinion is moving away from this conclusion, as it lack imperical merit.

Again

slowly so you can understand.

Am not saying it's a disease, Am not saying walking past junkies will get you addicted or you can get addicted from smoking 1 joint.

I am saying that one day, You or your children or another loved one MAY or COULD become addicted to drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Again

slowly so you can understand.

Am not saying it's a disease, Am not saying walking past junkies will get you addicted or you can get addicted from smoking 1 joint.

I am saying that one day, You or your children or another loved one MAY or COULD become addicted to drugs.

Wouldn't change my opinion of them tbh, if a child of mine was stupid and ignorant enough to become a junkie, I would still consider junkies to be be a criminal drag on the rest of society.
    It is easy for some who probably have little to no interaction with them to be all PC and think of them as victims but if you see them close up on a regular basis, when you see the aggression, when you see the people who they have just stolen, a wallet, a purse or a phone from, when you see them grabbing a woman's handbag and dragging her to the ground till she let go, when you see the effect on local businesses and shops of having them hanging around day and night stealing and dealing and out of their minds you soon lose any sympathy you may have had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

there's no call to be treating fellow humans like that, they need help which they don't get in Ireland...blame Society, but don't paint them all with the same brush, that's prejudice. I'm quite sure all Junkies don't behave the way you say.

cdebru wrote: »
    Wouldn't change my opinion of them tbh, if a child of mine was stupid and ignorant enough to become a junkie, I would still consider junkies to be be a criminal drag on the rest of society.
    It is easy for some who probably have little to no interaction with them to be all PC and think of them as victims but if you see them close up on a regular basis, when you see the aggression, when you see the people who they have just stolen, a wallet, a purse or a phone from, when you see them grabbing a woman's handbag and dragging her to the ground till she let go, when you see the effect on local businesses and shops of having them hanging around day and night stealing and dealing and out of their minds you soon lose any sympathy you may have had.

Lol

I work on Do'lier st and i go to Aston quay super value most days, I worked in the city center for 20 years and have seen all of the above and more. I have lost 3 friends from childhood to drugs overdoses so i think i have a bit of interaction with them and certainly don't see them as victims. Imo they are not "victims of the drugs scourge" but are active participants in it. Never the less i still see them as humans....I guess am just a bit more mature than the ones who are calling for culls or sterilization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

But presumably there are many more who don't cause trouble and keep their heads down, even work perhaps. Would you label all these as non-victims too, even though you never met them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

corktina wrote: »
    But presumably there are many more who don't cause trouble and keep their heads down, even work perhaps. Would you label all these as non-victims too, even though you never met them?

From my perspective,the prevailing need,in modern society,to firstly establish Victim Status,before addressing often very obvious problems is working to reduce general societies ability to function.

Unless an addiction is forcibly or deliberately imposed on a person then I cannot automatically accept their status as a Victim of anything.

In common with bumper234,I too see the everyday activities of these groups which,for the most part,are carried on with quiet deliberation to avoid re-entering mainstream regulated life.

Decades of programmes and outreach schemes have had a somewhat poor result (not only in Ireland) except to further cement the notion that Drug or Addiction related crimes should not merit punishment.

Not a day passes in the Irish Courts Service without another (Publicly Funded) Solicitor or Senior Counsel making an impassioned plea for leniency on behalf of a client..."at the mercy of others"....."who has had a troubled life to date"....."now engaging with a rehabilitation regime" etc etc ...ad nauseum.

Rarely in these cases do we have any similar plea for judicial understanding for the plight of whatever "Ordinary" citizen has been attacked,abused,robbed or assaulted by the "unfortunate" accused....It's almost as if Victim Status is reserved only for a small number of Social Classes,and an employed contributor to the Social System is not one of those.

To immediately label ALL substance abusers as scumbags,toerags,scum and the likes is,of course kneejerkism and unsustainable.

I have found however,that a great many of the addicted/abusing class tend to be highly aware and possessing of a very highly tuned ability to manipulate any given situation to their benefit,a process which guides their daily routine.

They tend to be supreme opportunists,on a level which any Venture Capitalist would greatly admire...no prevarication,if a glimmer of opportunity arises,then BANG ! ..it's availed of.

The remaninder of us,tend to live by the code of reasonable actions carried out by reasonable persons....and that is possibly the greatest single barrier to understanding and responding to those who refuse to accept reason as a worthwhile human rule.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There seems little point in leaving this open as there isn't much to discuss within the range of this forum's topic

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement