Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda United FC (read mod note in post #1 before posting)

Options
  • 21-07-2014 4:27pm
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For all things Drogheda United FC related.

The rules:
    1. General rules of the forum apply. Please read the forum charter for a run down of the rules.
    2. Off topic posts may be deleted.
    3. Any personal comments will be deleted and may result in a ban if they are of an offensive nature. This applies to posts about players or club officials also.
    4. Have respect - We all know that football can bring out emotive feelings in us, this can lead to insults and expletives being thrown out. Remember, count to ten and think about what you are posting before you do so.
    5. This is not a Drogheda vs. Dundalk thread (unless match day related) and vise versa, any postings of this nature will be deleted and WILL RESULT IN A BAN.

This thread will not be closed or moved. You are responsible for what you post and the consequences thereafter.

Have fun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Well done Drogheda Utd great win in Tallaght and much aporeciated!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Great win for Drogheda last night. Surely Darius has to get the job full time now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Great win for Drogheda last night. Surely Darius has to get the job full time now?
    Wasn't there something about him not being eligible to take on the job full time as he still hasn't got his coaching badges? Not sure what's keeping him as it was the same story in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Yeah unfortunately Darius can only stay in charge for a maximum of c60 days. That will be due to run out in the next couple of weeks and I'm not sure whether there are any other channels to go down to allow him stay in charge beyond the 60 days. I think you need to be put forward for the course, which only come around every so often, by a club which may be a reason why it didn't happen before this and AFAIK it is quite expensive. I'd like to see him stay involved in some capacity and then hopefully when the chance next arises he can go and get his badges. It will be interesting to see who does take charge for the remainder of the season now that Jeffrey has been ruled out. Hopefully this is the corner turned for the team now, performances have been much better of late. Huge game vs UCD next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

So Damien Richardson appointed as manager with Darius as his assistant.
    Didn't see that coming - a lot better than I would have expected.

• Advertisement

Interesting appointment! Good to see Darius still involved. The issue of a pro-licence will constantly prevent him from kicking on his career so while it may cost 8k he should consider the club nominating him for the course while he looks at ways to fund it if Drogheda wont or cant contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Very impressed with the job that Darius is doing in Drogheda. He kept Dundalk up, looks like he will do the same with Drogheda, and by a bigger margin.

What did Horgan do to make the players so indifferent? I know Darius being from Drogheda may have been able to instill some local pride in the shirt as well as having the experience of a relegation battle, although Dundalk was almost a totally hopeless task couple of years ago. I thing Drogheda are safe now as they will pick up more points than Bray and UCD. Athlone will have to do some job to pull the 2 above back in to automatic relegation.

Can any of the Dundalk lads tell us anything about Gareth Brady? Seems to have been added to the squad list on the website and I'm pretty sure that's him pictured behind Rico in a photo from training that's on the Drogs website.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Can any of the Dundalk lads tell us anything about Gareth Brady? Seems to have been added to the squad list on the website and I'm pretty sure that's him pictured behind Rico in a photo from training that's on the Drogs website.

I recall him being very neat and tidy on the ball.

However, he came into the side in our relegation play/off season in 2012. The team was a shambles in that season so he was playing in a dysfunctional team. Darius was the manager at the time so he must have seen enough in him to bring him to Drogheda.

• Advertisement

I recall him being very neat and tidy on the ball.

However, he came into the side in our relegation play/off season in 2012. The team was a shambles in that season so he was playing in a dysfunctional team. Darius was the manager at the time so he must have seen enough in him to bring him to Drogheda.
    Is that the brother of Robbie Brady that used to play for us? He was only a kid and as White Horse says he was with us during a very ****ty time for the club. Can't remember him playing too many games to be honest.

What are the strange circles/shapes on the United Park pitch? They were very obvious on the RTE footage on Soccer Republic.

What are the strange circles/shapes on the United Park pitch? They were very obvious on the RTE footage on Soccer Republic.

Looks like a bit of fungus that needs treatment. Looked worse on tv than it did on Friday night. The weather lately has probably brought it out. Remember seeing it a few years ago but that was it then after a few weeks.

Cannot wait for Friday

Cannot wait for Friday

Should be a good one, both teams in good form and a full house expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Tonight's the night ! Really hope we have turned a corner . We seem a different team than the one you hammered in oriel . Red card and a peno are a cert I reckon . 2 1 drogs please .

Should be a good one tonight. Hoping Drogs continue with the upturn in form. I'd be happy with a draw with the teams closest dropping points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Bookies have Dundalk as hot hot favorites but can't see it myself. Can see this being a tight game. Small pitch and Drogs will up their game against us as they normally do.
    Hopefully the ref doesn't spoil it but if he does hopefully it's three men sent off for Drogs. :P

doncarlos wrote: »
    Bookies have Dundalk as hot hot favorites but can't see it myself. Can see this being a tight game. Small pitch and Drogs will up their game against us as they normally do.
    Hopefully the ref doesn't spoil it but if he does hopefully it's three men sent off for Drogs. :P

Its Doyle referring tonight, so he will spoil it

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    It'll definitely be tighter than the last two league games and it's a very tricky fixture but Dundalk's confidence is sky high at the minute and that week between matches will have done them the world of good after a hectic July.

I seen Drogs play a couple of times recently and Cathal Brady was outstanding in both games. Need Massey to nullify his threat on the right hand side. Carl Walshe is decent and Gav Brennan is Gav Brennan but apart from that they're a pretty poor team. Grimes can be pretty dire under pressure and should be targeted. I think we'll have a bit too much for them and win 1-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

By rights you should have way to much for us with you being top of the league , full time and huge budget etc but we all know how these things go . I would have said the same thing about the first game of the season ! Gavin Hoolahan is a superb player and Karl Walsh on his day stands out , also schlingerman can be superb . We are certainly not as good as yourselves but we have more than 2 decent players .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I promise that this post is not intended to be gloating/regional nonsense. If it comes across as such, I apologise.

Every time that I've clicked into the Louth forum in the last year or so, the Dundalk FC thread has been there with unread posts in it, but to be honest there's been so little activity in this one that I wondered if I'd imagined its creation or if it actually happened! In fact, it's been so long since anyone posted here that I had to go through 16 pages to find it.

I'm from Dundalk. Well, Blackrock really, but still more Dundalk than Drogheda. Nevertheless, I've always been sorta proud that our Wee county had two towns of such importance. It's a good thing that we've got a rivalry going. Dundalk RFC's promotion to the AIL this season means that we now get to play against Drogheda again (yes I know you're called Boyne now, but no matter). But now there's a risk that Drogheda FC might go down tonight.

What I'd like to say is this: No matter what happens in Tallaght tonight, I want to say to Drogheda: Chin up.
    It's not too long since Dundalk were down in Div 1, and look where we are now.
    If you do go down, I hope it's not to long before you come back up.

We need our friendly rivalry to continue. Long may it do so.

I fear for Drogheda United's very existence after relegation. It will take a huge effort to keep things going in the 1st Division until promotion again. The Wexford Youths model might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

What happens at Drogheda Utd in the next couple of months will either make or break them.I hope they fix up the mess that they have become very soon .I don't like the club or their supporters very much but i hope they survive this reverse in fortune and come back fighting and put the club on a decent sound footing.Best of luck for the future and i really mean that folks.

I'd also like to add my best wishes to Drogheda.

It's not so long since Dundalk were on the floor. The situation they can in can be rectified, if they get the right manager and pull together.

Good move by by Drogheda, Dundalk FC and fan's experience of the kit, quality, and availability have been excellent. You wont be disappointed - i'm looking forward to the design they come up with.

• Advertisement

Interesting interview by Drogs chairman Fiachra Kierans on LMFM today.

https://soundcloud.com/lmfmradio/sunday-sport-david-chats-to-drogheda-united-chairman-fiachra-kierans

Advertisement