Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultralase or Optilase or Optical express in Cork?

• 07-05-2012 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

`Hi all,

Im thinking of doin Laser eye surgery this year. Thoughts/recomedantions on Ultralase, Optilase or Optical express in Cork would be much appriciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adamryan

Hi Rubicorn,
    I got my surgery with Optilase on Opera Lane and found them great. Went to Optilase because of their surgeon Dr.Hurely and the fact they offer a life time care guarantee. I have a 100 euro vouchers for Optilase if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 belleva

Hi

I am also deciding between Ultralase, Optilase and Optical Express.I have had a consultation at all three. I am -3.50 and -4.25 and they have all commented I have large pupils. it ranged from 7.9 - 8.6mm between the three different clinics. Although I am suitable for both, I think I will choose LasEk due to less risk of complications.

I liked Ultralase and they told me how their wavefront, Ultra Elite is superior to the wavefront of the other two companies. That these can only be compared to Ultra Plus. But I can't figure out, procedure wise, how Ultra plus and Ultra Elite differ. Does anyone know? I also heard a rumour that they may be closing down, which worries me for the aftercare. Also another laser place said they use a very old fashioned laser (and of course theirs was much more modern/better).

For optical express, I also liked these guys but I am a bit worried there is little information/reviews on the surgeon they use Mr Evangelos Minos. Did anyone get lasEk with him as his profile just seems to speak of lasIK. Plus I wonder if their wavefront is inferior to wavefront elite in ultralase?

I'd appreciate anybodys comments and suggestions to help me make my decision.
    Thanks you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 35 verat

Hi,
    Just wondering if any of you have had your surgery done and if so, which one did you use and would you recommend. I'm just going about the process and would love some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lizard Spock

verat wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if any of you have had your surgery done and if so, which one did you use and would you recommend. I'm just going about the process and would love some advice.

I had LASEK with the Mater Private and i couldn't recommend them more, very professional.

My advise would be to have a look at the different web sites and make sure you're well informed before making a decision. For me the main issue was safety and after care, the benefit of the Mater is that they're hospital based consultants, you deal with the same surgeon from your initial assessment to your 1 year check up.

Most of the time things are going to go well but make sure you're aware of the companies/hospitals after care record in case they don't, have a read up about different peoples experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 belleva

Hey, no I didn't get it done yet. Didn't get the answers for my questions above so put off making the decision :confused:
    hopefully it won't take you so long to decide :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Lorraine10

I'm thinking of getting the surgery done in optilase opera lane in September. Does anyone have the €100 referral that I can use?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Lorraine10 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting the surgery done in optilase opera lane in September. Does anyone have the €100 referral that I can use?

Hi Lorraine, think I can sort you out for this, I'll send you a PM

message sent with referral details, name and date of referee :)
    Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 oldfart

Hi - My goodness ye are all so nice with your vouchers!
    I am going for a consultation with Opti on Monday and I am nervous about this! Basically - if my eyes are 500 euro each I will get them done, but if it is going to cost 800 p eye - they can forget it!!! I didnt realise that it would be sore for so long, and that it can take a month for blurryness to clear, that would freak me out - do they let you get one eye done at a time? Has anyone done this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

mine were -6 and I got them done in Optilase. Now a year. No hassle, all was fine within a few seconds. Drove home.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

Optical Express is going out of business! They are going into administration and closing 40 clinics!

http://www.retail-week.com/sectors/health-and-beauty/optical-express-subsidiary-collapses-into-administration/5041374.article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 DungHT232

Anybody can help me to answer that from price in this link:
    http://www.optilase.com/laser-eye-surgery-pricing/
    1745e is for both eyes or one eye? I hope it will be for both eyes. Can you advice me any doctor in Optilase? How about there quality?

Thank you and waiting for your info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 muinteoir Gaeilge 2011

adamryan wrote: »
    Hi Rubicorn,
    I got my surgery with Optilase on Opera Lane and found them great. Went to Optilase because of their surgeon Dr.Hurely and the fact they offer a life time care guarantee. I have a 100 euro vouchers for Optilase if you want?

Hi, Do you happen to still have the €100 voucher for Optilase? Getting it done this week! Thanks

Hi, Do you happen to still have the €100 voucher for Optilase? Getting it done this week! Thanks

Hi muinteoir Gaeilge,
    I have a €100 voucher if you want, as I just had Lasik Wavefront myself with Optilase in Dublin last week. I'll send you a PM with details.

I was a bit nervous about getting it done but in the end the procedure itself was so easy, absolutely no pain at all, and felt like it just took a few minutes. I took the valium so maybe that helped :)
    About an hour afterwards my eyes started to water and sting a bit so I went straight to bed and felt grand when I woke.
    So far good, vision is great, just back at my desk today in front of a PC for the first time so hopefully my eyes won't tire. Got the 1 week check up coming up so fingers crossed all will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 minimufc

rok wrote: »
    Hi muinteoir Gaeilge,
    I have a €100 voucher if you want, as I just had Lasik Wavefront myself with Optilase in Dublin last week. I'll send you a PM with details.

I was a bit nervous about getting it done but in the end the procedure itself was so easy, absolutely no pain at all, and felt like it just took a few minutes. I took the valium so maybe that helped :)
    About an hour afterwards my eyes started to water and sting a bit so I went straight to bed and felt grand when I woke.
    So far good, vision is great, just back at my desk today in front of a PC for the first time so hopefully my eyes won't tire. Got the 1 week check up coming up so fingers crossed all will be ok.
    Any chance you have anymore vouchers please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I had LASIK in Optilase Dublin two weeks ago and am very happy, -6 in both eyes but being on the wrong side of 40 I had monovision, which is really working well.

let me know if you need a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dorgs

hi all,

Tks for all the info, im booked in for surgery with optilase in opera lane next week, does anyone fancy sharing a voucher with me? Pls PM me if so...tks

Hi dorgs,
    I just sent you a Private Message with details for the referral.

I had Lasik surgery with Optilase 5 months ago and I'm delighted with the results.
    I was nervous beforehand but the procedure felt like it was so quick and pain free.
    If you have any questions let me know.
    Best of luck!
    rok

minimufc wrote: »
    Any chance you have anymore vouchers please ?

Hi minimufc,
    I just sent your a PM with my referral details.
    Good luck.rok

• Registered Users Posts: 3 corcoran1

Hi,

I'm probably going to go with Optilase. Does anyone have a referral voucher?

Thanks

corcoran1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Sent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 rach13

Hi! I am going to have my laser surgery with Optilase done in May and was wondering if anyone would like to be my recommending person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 corcoran1

Hi Rok above might still have one. I decided not to go ahead in the end so won't need one. I went to Optical Express. They were excellent. I got a really good feeling from the place. Very professional. And a good price. But what I didn't realise is that because I'm 39 that in a few years I will apparently need reading glasses. The girl there explained that as I was shortsighted that would mean that I wouldn't need reading glasses until about age 55, but that people with perfect vision need reading glasses approx 10 years earlier. I didn't know this before and in fairness they didn't hide this and clear.y explained it to me. So all things considered I decided that it wasn't worth swopping one pair of glasses for another. And my prescription is only 1 and 1.25 so my eyes aren't really that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

Did anyone have Lasek with optilase? I'm going in on may 10th. Is the LASIK just a money racket? I think it's worth a few days of pain to save €500!!

Also, I'm not sure how the vouchers work but if anyone would like to refer me and get €100 and me a €100 discount I would be much obliged!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jamesp.

Hey guys,

I'm having LASEK with Optilase in Cork at the end of the month and was wondering if anybody could please give me a voucher?

€100 off would make a big difference! :)

jamesp. wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm having LASEK with Optilase in Cork at the end of the month and was wondering if anybody could please give me a voucher?

€100 off would make a big difference! :)

Hi James,
    I'll send you a Private Message with my referral details for the €100 off.
    Any questions let me know.
    Best of luck!
    Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andryuha77

Hi,

Thanks

andryuha77 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Hi andryuha,
    just sent you a Private Message with my referral voucher details for the €100 discount.
    Good luck!
    Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 1 buniamm

Hi

I'm thinking to have LASIK with Optilase in September. I already had the consultation with them. Could I still use a voucher if anyone has one?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

buniamm wrote: »
    Hi

I'm thinking to have LASIK with Optilase in September. I already had the consultation with them. Could I still use a voucher if anyone has one?

I've had laser eye surgery with Optilase and am happy with my results. I can give you the voucher if you'd care to PM me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 BatforAshes

Hi all,

Wasn't sure whether to go with the mater private or Optilase.

After researching, I'm probably going to go with Optilase. Does anyone have a referral voucher?

It would be gratefully appreciated

Thank you :)

Advertisement