Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to Dublin Bus Drivers

Options
  • 01-11-2007 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

The driver on my 15 bus home last night kept us informed of why there was such a delay in getting from Kildare Street to Earlsfort Terrace (30 minutes!!!) there was some problem with the traffic lights that Eircom for some reason were fixing. And then this morning the 15b driver allowed me get on at the traffic lights he was stopped at rather than blanking me as has happened in the past (and is in fairness the rules). Just thought that pointing out something positive would be worthwhile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes Leeson St was *crazy* last night.... the bus lane was full of buses the whole way back, partly due to cars blocking the bus lane.
    I'm sure it continued back around the green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I use the 15 all the time and can't speak highly enough of the drivers. They're great and the service has improved beyond all belief in the last month. I don't think I've waited more than 5 minutes for a bus in the last month. I emailed Dublin Bus to compliment them on the improvements. God knows I emailed enough complaints to them so credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Anyone on a 15 was lucky last night as they got to use Earlsfort Terrace after the 'Green. There were literally dozens of 46As and 145s stuck between Kildare Street and Donnybrook in crawling traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Was the Leeson St issue down to lights too? I got off the 46A and walked.

Hope situation improves this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Isn't it bus lane all the way to Stillorgan DC and beyond thru Donnybrook ?

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Isn't it bus lane all the way to Stillorgan DC and beyond thru Donnybrook ?
    There are gaps at junctions, but for the main part yes.

Yesterday it was bumper to bumper with buses from Kildare Street to Leeson Street Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 green rover

ballooba wrote: »
    Was the Leeson St issue down to lights too? I got off the 46A and walked.

Hope situation improves this evening.

me too. what exactly happened. did traffic lights fail or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

The lights outside Donnybrook bus garage were out of sync, causing massive delays on the 46A's, the buses that left town between 17.30 and 18.30 were only getting to Dun Loaghaire when they should have been back in town, I was unlucky enough to be operating the 19.30 746 service from the Airport and found myself in a nice little 90 min gap when I got to town. aboslute bedlam, off course the passengers I picked up had no idea what was going on so needless to say I had alot of angry passengers onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

me too. what exactly happened. did traffic lights fail or something??

I was the 1805 145, getting to Donnybrook at 1945! Had to transfer at Cabinteely at 2000 as i had a restaurant booked for 2100 and my finish time was 2000. An utter disgrace and no signs of them Traffic Corps either? Where did they vanish to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 green rover

SickCert wrote: »
    I was the 1805 145, getting to Donnybrook at 1945! Had to transfer at Cabinteely at 2000 as i had a restaurant booked for 2100 and my finish time was 2000. An utter disgrace and no signs of them Traffic Corps either? Where did they vanish to?

thanks for that. thankfully i was able to get the luas
    spareman wrote:
    The lights outside Donnybrook bus garage were out of sync

The Garda station in Donnybrook is no more than a minute from that junction. to far for them to travel!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The Garda station in Donnybrook is no more than a minute from that junction. to far for them to travel!! :rolleyes:

They were probably waiting for someone to report the traffic jam!

:rolleyes:"well! no one reported any problems!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

well if that one was out of sync did SCATS crash or what ?

Gardai would probably do more harm than good. Think Operation Freeflow. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

We shouldn't be encouraging bus drivers to break the rules. I notice alot of them still leave the engine running when they are changing drivers, even though that's against the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

penexpers wrote: »
    We shouldn't be encouraging bus drivers to break the rules. I notice alot of them still leave the engine running when they are changing drivers, even though that's against the rules.

Only when it suits them, driver on the 59's recently told over an open radio not to shut off the engine as it wont start again.
    Anyway this topic is 'Fair play to Dublin Bus Drivers', so start your own rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

They were probably waiting for someone to report the traffic jam!

:rolleyes:"well! no one reported any problems!" :rolleyes:

It was reported by Donnybrook bus control and said it was "Low Priority" at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

spareman wrote: »
    It was reported by Donnybrook bus control and said it was "Low Priority" at the time.

That says it all really. I called DCC Traffic about a car parked in the bus lane on Dawson St at rush hour on Thursday and half an hour later the clampers still hadn't arrived. Presumably blocking a city centre bus lane is low priority too. Fair play to the bus drivers in situations like that - if I was driving a bus that size and saw someone that ignorant, I'd have done my best to shove the car all the way up Dawson St and into Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Some dope parked in the north quays bus lane yesterday morning too. Really DCC or An Garda should have a rapid response (don't laugh) vehicle to remove obstacles and crush them forthwith.

Really the punishment should fit the crime and blocking a buslane can cause significant delays for hundreds if not thousands of people just trying to get to work. Inconsiderate sh!tes can go to hell.

The buslanes and 'QBCs' are bad enough without the few stretches we have being blocked my selfish gits.

As usual the Traffic Corps haven't got a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quote Murphaph: "As usual the Traffic Corps haven't got a clue." :cool

Sadly I believe it`s worse....far worse than just not having a clue.

It`s now blindingly apparent that the entire State has a major problem with it`s law enforcement capability.
    Road Traffic Laws unfortunately come far down the list of items which An Garda Siochana consider as a priority.

This is not to denigrate individual members of the force but it is now very clear that senior Garda/Dept of Justice management are verging on incapable of dealing with their remit.

It is now quite clear to the "customers" of An Garda Siochana,the general public,that there is something very seriously amiss with the Training and Motivation of the force.

The forces senior management has fallen for the same smoke n mirrors stuff which enthralled many of the UK forces from the late 1980`s on.

Diversity Programmes,Equality Programmes,Multicultural Respect Initiatives,Community Policing and many other such intellectually challenging stuff all began to assume a high profile role in Ordinary policing.

Each new item requires a course or two for all members and plenty of classroom work which might even include a written test.....

These modules all take up manpower and keep it sitting around thinking of esetoric issues when out in the real world the savages are happily running rampant everywhere in the full knowledge that they can rely on the Juvenile Liason Officer to (yet again) get them off the hook.

So too is it with Traffic, as a rapidly increasing number of drivers are emboldened to draw up their own rules and impose them on others.......

Last Friday afternoon a lady driver made a last minute right turn from St Stephens Green East into Hume St against the one way traffic flow.
    The driver in question had spotted a vacant parking space in Hume St and was intent on occupying it.

However she had to misfortune to meet the oncoming (Legal) traffic head on and an impasse ensued.

What happened next..?

Well...in for a penny,in for a metric pound...our fragrant lady opens her door and marches up to the lead driver and gesticulates to the vacant space while waving her arms about....

Perhaps she was Mrs McAleese,Imelda Marcos,Lady Thatcher or even Mary O Rourke out shopping but her insistance paid off as the first two cars reversed back to facilitate the lady`s grand entrance into "HER" HUme St space.

That`s about where we`re at after 80 years of Independence,a nation that quite clearly has great difficulty appreciating the finer points of Civic Responsibility and more particularly the Greater or Common Good...Our driver had struck a blow for common sense I suppose...all them oul signs and stuff are there for everybody else...but surely not ME ?

Once again the total absence of Garda presence only served to underline yet again the sensation of living in a TV sitcom rather than a functional independent state..... :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jjohnson1984

Just want to say on the topic of bus drivers thanks to the guys who drive the 40D every day which I use to travel to work. I cannot speak highly enough of them. After being subject to the 39 for the year which made me absolutely hate Dublin Bus due to the rudeness and general bad treatment of passengers the guys on the 40D are absolutely excellent.

They are friendly, polite, communicative and always willing to lend a hand where required, will use center doors when the bus is busy to let people off and generally if they see you running for a bus they'll wait for you and sometimes will even stop for the regulars even when they are between stops out of courtesy.

Some credit must go to the garage however as in recent weeks they have provided non-timetabled extra services at busy times which has been a great help. The standard of the vehicles, despite their age (1999) is perfect. The fact I have the same bus every day on the same time service for the last 6 months says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Try driving a 39. Then you'll know the reasons why drivers get irritated.

Advertisement