Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilization as punishment

Options
  • 28-05-2010 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Here is my suggestion. Different sorts of criminals should be sterilized as punishment for their crimes. Why should taxpayers fork out money for the care of their children so that they also can grow up into criminal scumbags? Sterilization is good punishment for crimes like assault, robbery, rape and the like. If you do not agree with me can you please tell me why violent criminals should have the right to reproduce, or any rights at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

SLUSK wrote: »
    They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Here is my suggestion. Different sorts of criminals should be sterilized as punishment for their crimes. Why should taxpayers fork out money for the care of their children so that they also can grow up into criminal scumbags? Sterilization is good punishment for crimes like assault, robbery, rape and the like. If you do not agree with me can you please tell me why violent criminals should have the right to reproduce, or any rights at all?

I think the knee jerk reaction to this suggestion would be :eek: You can't do that. However, I think a reasonable case could be made for it under certain circumstances. I personally would rather a murderer never gets out to spread his seed. Certain rapists, defo a case for it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think the knee jerk reaction to this suggestion would be :eek: You can't do that. However, I think a reasonable case could be made for it under certain circumstances. I personally would rather a murderer never gets out to spread his seed. Certain rapists, defo a case for it IMO.

I would like to see sterilization for a large number of crimes. Do not let these people reproduce. Sterilize them, if they happen to be pregnant when convicted a forced abortion should be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,647 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That requires you really to believe truly that criminality is in genetic makeup. Its the Nurture vs. Nature argument.

You'd really want to have a thorough study, with analysis, on children that have grown up after being fathered by episodes of rape, for instance.

Typically the state doesn't allow such people to actually raise these children anyway: Hence Social Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Bit extreme lads.

Overheal wrote: »
    That requires you really to believe truly that criminality is in genetic makeup. Its the Nurture vs. Nature argument.

You'd really want to have a thorough study, with analases, on children that have grown up after being fathered by episodes of rape, for instance.

I don't really care, I just want the guilty to be punished. I want JUSTICE.

• Advertisement

Well if you don't want to discuss it then why start a thread here?

This isn't the Dail dude: why not write a letter to your local politician and convince them to introduce a new criminal sterilization bill, if thats what you want?

Overheal wrote: »
    Well if you don't want to discuss it then why start a thread here?

This isn't the Dail dude: why not write a letter to your local politician and convince them to introduce a new criminal sterilization bill, if thats what you want?
    The way I see it they should not have any rights reproducing at all simply because of what they are which is criminal scumbags/thugs. I hear people talking about the "rights" of these types of "people" and it makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

alan-turing.jpg

Well they have rights, whether you like Understand it or not.

From the New Testament in the book of some dead guy:

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

Can you say categorically, SLUSK, you have never committed any crime whatsoever? No breach of the law? Driven 46mph in a 45mph zone?

Can we assume you too would be sterilized if found to be intoxicated in public, or if you had neglected to disclose all of your assets during a tax return?

See also: Lady Justice - I find that in your view of justice you appear to only see the Sword. Where is your Blindfold? Your Scales?

There are also many philosophies surrounding Justice. Which have you studied? Retributive Justice, may I presume? Tyranny? I believe most Law in practice stems primarily from Restorative and Utilitarian Justice myself.

People much wiser than you or I have built modern law since the times well before Socrates. To throw it all out again would result in nothing short of a second Dark Age. And I think thats what you're aiming at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

In this instance, that consists of a ban for soapboxing/trolling - and this time I'm afraid it's permanent. You've had enough chances, and you're only 3 days back from your last ban for trolling. If you just want to vent without contradiction, then get a blog.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement