Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

explaining unfair dismissal to a new employer

Options
  • 15-05-2014 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I was unfairly dismissed from my last job and won compensation at the rights commisioner.
    I don't know how to explain that to next potential employer even though the whole thing was ridiculous. I was working there a few years so can't just leave it out on the CV. The other thing i could do is maybe ask for a reference off some other manager inside the company but that isn't guaranteed so maybe i will have to explain it. It just zaps the life out of me and makes me want to just give up. Anyone have any experience with the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I don't see any issue with it. Should be easily explained if questioned about it in an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

It may be unfair...But do not mention taking any action against a former employer.

Unless you have no other potential reference and they will find out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

I would ring/write to the old HR Manager and ask what thier policy is re references. Many companies will only confirm employment and dates.

Your old company seems to have done something wrong if you claimed, and won, UD. The HR dept is unlikely to want to make matters worse by mentioning their error.

I agree that you will have to find a way of explaining why you left the last job - I'm not sure how to advise you here - you can't lie. If you're evasive, they'll pick up on that and ask more direct questions - again you can't lie.

Perhaps you're better to say that you didn't get on with your boss and left to find other opportunities - it's not a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Unfair as it may seem many employers will just mark you as a potential trouble maker and won't be interested in hearing explanations. From their point of view, why take the chance on someone who caused trouble for a previous employer? Sure that's against HR law (presumably), but you're not going to win that battle.

If it was me I'd say something like "I felt it was time to move on for xyz reason", however if you google your name, is the result of the rights commissioner visible?

Advertisement