Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Gran Canaria in May

• 26-04-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of insight into the cycling conditions in gran canaria in May. I am thinking of booking a week there and renting a bike. Average temps are 20deg which is nice, but is the island flush or burnt out at that time of year? I have cycled in Tenerife and had some great climbs with lovely green scenery, and id like to repeat that.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of insight into the cycling conditions in gran canaria in May. I am thinking of booking a week there and renting a bike. Average temps are 20deg which is nice, but is the island flush or burnt out at that time of year? I have cycled in Tenerife and had some great climbs with lovely green scenery, and id like to repeat that.

thanks

I get enough greenery here tbh!

There in May myself in south. Good roads, quite with good climbing in nice temperatures is enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

interested in this too - are you going with/to a group or you planning on renting the bike when you get there? I've heard lots of people talking about cycling in Canaries but no one ever seems to have more than vague details. any links to rental shops ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

interested in this too - are you going with/to a group or you planning on renting the bike when you get there? I've heard lots of people talking about cycling in Canaries but no one ever seems to have more than vague details. any links to rental shops ?

Using freemotion for bike hire. Starting at 19/day for cannodale caad 10. Playa des Ingles is their main base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I've heard lots of people talking about cycling in Canaries but no one ever seems to have more than vague details. any links to rental shops ?
    I've just returned from 6 days in Tenerife. What details are you seeking? (PS - I brought my own bike as usual).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've just returned from 6 days in Tenerife. What details are you seeking? (PS - I brought my own bike as usual).

Is there anywhere to rent road bikes in Playa de las Americas/Los Christianos area? I'll be there for a week in early June and wouldn't mind renting a bike for a day or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

http://www.bikepointtenerife.com/ based in Las Americas has got good reviews.

Previous boards.ie thread- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056178642

(Hard to beat having your own bike all the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

I will second free motion for the bike rental. Great bunch of lads and the synapse with 6800 ultegra is a sweet bike. Lovely roads and a good choice of options. If you want to have a look at the routes check out Ryan sherlock on strava. Think he gave a few weeks there earlier in the year. Not much happening in playa del ingles this time of the year though and wouldn't fancy cycling out there anytime after May as temps will be starting to rise. Nice at the moment. About 23-24 deg.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

I have used Bike Point in Las Americas - good guys, very helpful with route advice etc. I brought my own saddle and had it fitted to the rental, they'll fit suitable pedals etc. Roads excellent once you get out of the resorts, and quite cool at higher altitudes - bring an extra layer if you're heading towards Mt Teide.

Advertisement