Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to SECURELY lock +1000e bike in dublin city centre?

Options
  • 25-04-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

There are already a few threads on this topic. There seems to be well intentioned advice on what streets to lock your bike on, how to lock it etc. However, when talking about a bike as expensive and visually alluring as the one I'm referring to, none of it really applies. I love my bike. Being that I'm a working student it would take me upwards of 9 hard months saving to replace it. I really don't want to get it nicked! From what I've heard and read it seems locking (double locking, of course) a very expensive bike in a publicly accessible area is nothing more than an inconvenience to a pro bike robbing scumbag.

I go to college in trinity and work just off Grafton so I'm always in and around that area. I know of drury st bike park. How secure is it? Can anybody offer any advice - even a paid locking option in the area? Maybe a sound, cycle enthusiast of a security guard that you know of could sort me out? Any and all help/suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
    yodaman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Easy.Buy a 2nd hand junker bike and use that.Leave the good bike at home.It will not be safe locked anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Drury street is by far the best option other than put a wig and a uniform on it and bring it into work as Carl the new guy...easy enough to pick up a beater for city use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yodaman

Good advice easygoing39. That's an option, but it's my last resort. It takes me 1.25 hours to cycle in, longer on way home. I want to be on my current bike if at all possible. Willing to pay a few bob to keep it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

my bike can be found in two places, a) in my house & b) under my arse. leaving it unattended anywhere in dublin for a spell is eventually gonna end in tears. i hate riding my beater around town leaving my good bike at home but these are the time we live in.

haha I think bike shaped Carl would raise a few eyebrows! One of the better options it would seem though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

How about hiring a bike locker from this comapny?

bikelocker.ie

They have some at connoly station, which would be a short walk for you each morning to Trinity?

I have no idea about the company or any experience with them, but maybe an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

yodaman wrote: »
    Good advice easygoing39. That's an option, but it's my last resort. It takes me 1.25 hours to cycle in, longer on way home. I want to be on my current bike if at all possible. Willing to pay a few bob to keep it safe.

are there any of those bike lockers in the city.. few of them at various luas stops though i dont know if they've proved their worth yet. havent heard anything positive nor negative about them.

@lacey: got there before me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

haha I think bike shaped Carl would raise a few eyebrows! One of the better options it would seem though

Carl doesn't talk much. But he gets the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I wouldn't dream of leaving a €1k bike in Dublin, even with every combination Abus / Kryptonite lock attached to it - will be a magnet for scum bags (even in Drury Street). Buy yourself a cheap bike on adverts, one that's not going to take the guts of a year to replace.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of leaving a €1k bike in Dublin, even with every combination Abus / Kryptonite lock attached to it - will be a magnet for scum bags (even in Drury Street). Buy yourself a cheap bike on adverts, one that's not going to take the guts of a year to replace.

Agreed Pinch Flat.

My thinking is that I'd rather use 200e to have my current bike safely locked in town for the year rather than 200e on something off adverts.ie?

If I cant get myself a secure arrangement, onto adverts.ie I'll go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Just had a stand-up row with the landlord in my office block about bringing my bike into the office instead of using his crappy unsecured bike rack at the back of the building. He refused my offer to leave my bike there if he underwrote the risk and kept repeating how security wasn't his problem. He's right, and I waited until he fcked off and then brought my bike into the office as usual.

As a aside, this guy is a multi mutli millionaire, a very well known name in business circles and his head nearly exploded at the thought of a bike being brought into a ****ty unused office, in a ****ty building in a ****ty part of town... some people hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

My bike cost 1500euro, I would never,ever ever leave it ANYWHERE in town. Last year I even hid it in the attic while I was away on holiday.

It stays in my bedroom while I'm in work and is also locked, take the dvd player,take the TV, take the hi-fi fcuk it even take the wife but you're not getting my bike...

PS, It'll end in tears, don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I lock my Specialized Allez outside in town every night. Put three Kryptonite locks on it and lock it somewhere with a lot of foot traffic. Might as well buy a chain lock for €30 to add to the trouble it would take to steal the bike (variety in the type of lock).

If you can, find out where there is recorded CCTV (lots of Trinity isn't covered) and put a few stickers on the bike racks reminding thieves that there is recorded CCTV in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Carl doesn't talk much. But he gets the job done.
    He might get the job done but he can be a bit cranky...

I'd be very careful about locking it in the same place day after day but a bike locker at Station might be a good option (so long as you can lock it inside the locker.

I lock my Specialized Allez outside in town every night. Put three Kryptonite locks on it and lock it somewhere with a lot of foot traffic. Might as well buy a chain lock for €30 to add to the trouble it would take to steal the bike (variety in the type of lock).

If you can, find out where there is recorded CCTV (lots of Trinity isn't covered) and put a few stickers on the bike racks reminding thieves that there is recorded CCTV in that area.

I'm surprised you get away with that brian.henry!

I'd be locking up a Thompson 7200.

Ever since this started to be a consideration for me I've been scouting what bikes have been locked where. (much like a bike thief would)

I haven't seen one bike this standard anywhere. Either nobodies that stupid or all similar & better spec bikes have been getting swiped so quickly that I haven't had the privilege of seeing one in the flesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I'm surprised you get away with that brian.henry!

I'd be locking up a white Thompson 7200.

Ever since this started to be a consideration for me I've been scouting what bikes have been locked where. (much like a bike thief would)

I haven't seen one bike this standard anywhere. Either nobodies that stupid or all similar spec bikes have been getting swiped so quickly that I haven't had the privilege of seeing one in the flesh!

I've locked bikes of various value (€350-€2500ish) in various locations around town (from Drury Street to Capel Street to Liffey Street) and remain unconvinced that bike thieves know what they are looking at in terms of value, but know EXACTLY what they're looking for from locks and locking techniques. Lock your bike right with good locks, and you should be ok.

I've locked bikes of various value (€350-€2500ish) in various locations around town (from Drury Street to Capel Street to Liffey Street) and remain unconvinced that bike thieves know what they are looking at in terms of value, but know EXACTLY what they're looking for from locks and locking techniques. Lock your bike right with good locks, and you should be ok.

Your a brave man.. Your probably right about the thieves being clueless. Lets say one or two do know their stuff though. Even if they only rob a couple a day that leaves the very few high spec bikes at very high risk. It just doesn't add up, to me anyway.

Regardless, let me know where you lock up your 2500e bike so I can put mine next to it if I ever am taking the risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Your a brave man.. Your probably right about the thieves being clueless. Lets say one or two do know their stuff though. Even if they only rob a couple a day that leaves the very few high spec bikes at very high risk. It just doesn't add up, to me anyway.

Regardless, let me know where you lock up your 2500e bike so I can put mine next to it if I ever am taking a risk!

I don't think I'm brave, just clued in.

I have locked the good bike outside Stephens Green shopping centre, in Drury St car park, on Capel Street, Smithfield, Heuston South Quarter, Blackrock main street, Stillorgan shopping centre, Ranelagh, Drumcondra and Phibsboro. I don't make a habit out of using it on runs where I need to lock it, but don't worry unnecessarily about it when it needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cob1

theres a bike cage in the car park just off Kildare st as far as I know, I remember it being not too expensive and about halfway between your work and college

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I've left good bikes in Drury Street at evenings and over the weekend many times, even left the lights attached and they were unmolested. I use a Kyptonite U lock and a fairly decent cable lock. Never had a problem with Drury Street, I use it a couple of evenings a week and haven't seen anyone messing with bikes there. Just my experience, but short of bringing it into the office/class with you, it's a pretty safe bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

FWIW I, as well as a friend or two, leave bikes locked in Trinity that are worth €500-800. I've never had any trouble with a big Abus U-Lock and a cable for the front wheel, secured properly. I've left it there for a few days and it was fine. If anything, avoiding the area around the gym would be a safe bet as I've heard of a number of bikes being stolen there.

Have you considered getting it insured? If you have a CI licence you can get a discounted premium from Cyclesure, although it is still appx 10% of the value of the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I locked my €1400 bike in Drury st for years. Had locks in there permanently. Used two different u locks and a cable lock. Never had a problem. Just make sure it's locked very well. It's the only place in town I would leave it, even if it meant a walk across town.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I have often left my bike outside Pearse St police station and its never been touched. The bike rack is pretty full most of the time but I've always.managed to get a space. I think there are bike lockers at the train station on Westland Row, you could.check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know somewhere secure near the jervis center? Not ideal but seems like I Might just have to park my bike in Drury st. and walk across?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Bike Locker have locker you can rent in the city centre. Not sure how secure they are though.

http://www.bikelocker.ie/locations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Bike Locker have locker you can rent in the city centre. Not sure how secure they are though.

http://www.bikelocker.ie/locations.html

Seems like a good idea but looks like they only have 1 location in the city centre on Amiens St.? Webpage is also a bit vague on how it works and how much it costs? Hopefully it is something that expands in the future, if they really are secure they could make a lot of money!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Seems like a good idea but looks like they only have 1 location in the city centre on Amiens St.? Webpage is also a bit vague on how it works and how much it costs? Hopefully it is something that expands in the future, if they really are secure they could make a lot of money!

Ha they are indeed a bit vague about the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Their focus (at least for the moment) seems to be on setting up around train stations, no doubt trying to get people who cycle to their train to lock their bikes there (though in the case of Connolly/Amiens St. they may be looking at getting people who would cycle from the train to work and want secure locking there). They may be hoping to get free security by being under the cover of Irish Rail's CCTV too by doing this.

All we know from this thread is there are some very expensive bikes on drury st. i hope thieves are not broswing on boards.ie :P :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ha they are indeed a bit vague about the cost.

I looked into it for blackrock station a few years ago and they offered me €75 per year. Which I guess is reasonable. May be more expensive in the city though.

Advertisement