Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best road bike for €1,250 max.

Options
  • 29-03-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I am wondering if anyone could advise us on the best road bike for under €1,250

I have cycled this Wilier, in October last. It is still available, however not in the bike shops

Specification And Features of Wilier La Triestina Road Bike 2013

• Frame - 7000 Alu. Alloy, Triple Butted
    • Fork - Carbon / Alu. Steerer
    • Headset - FSA Orbit Integrated
    • Rear Hub - Shimano WR501
    • Front Hub - Shimano WR501
    • Spokes - Shimano WR501
    • Rims - Shimano WR501
    • Tyres - CST 700x23
    • Shift Levers - Shimano 105
    • Front Derailleur - Shimano 105
    • Rear Derailleur - Shimano 105
    • Cassette - Shmano CS4600 11-25T
    • Chain - Shmano CN4601
    • Crankset - FSA Gossamer / Wilier, 50/34T
    • Bottom Bracket - FSA
    • Seatpost - FSA SL 280
    • Saddle - Prologo Phorma / Wilier
    • Bar - FSA Vero Compact
    • Stem - FSA OS190
    • Brakes - FSA Gossamer / Wilier
    • Brake Levers - Shimano 105
    • Pedals - None included
    Cost €1250

How does this compare to the Giant Defy 1 for similar price or should I be looking at a different bike.

I am based in Dublin so would like to make our mind up as soon as possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What about something like this:

http://www.cyclesuk.com/48652/products/moda-echo-mens-2013-road-bike-black-and-orange.aspx

A few irish shops stock moda afaik

Higher end alloy or lower end carbon is always a tough one!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

I'm a big fan of wilier bikes. Think they look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Gavlor wrote: »
    What about something like this:

http://www.cyclesuk.com/48652/products/moda-echo-mens-2013-road-bike-black-and-orange.aspx

A few irish shops stock moda afaik

Higher end alloy or lower end carbon is always a tough one!

Gavlor, do you know which shops stock this bike. I have had a look online but cannot find one.

FrameALUXX SL-Grade AluminiumForkCarbon Composite, OverDrive aluminium steererHandlebarGiant Connect, 31.8StemGiant ConnectSeatpostGiant Connect Composite, 30.9SaddleGiant Performance Road, Men'sShiftersShimano 105Front DerailleurShimano 105Rear DerailleurShimano 105BrakesTektro TK-R540 Giant Specific, Dual PivotBrake LeversShimano 105CassetteShimano Tiagra 12x30, 10-spChainKMC X10CranksetShimano R565, 34/50Bottom BracketShimano, Press FitRimsP-Elite C WheelsetHubsP-Elite C WheelsetSpokesP-Elite C WheelsetTyresGiant P-R3, Flat Guard, Front and Rear Specific, 700x25Weight9.56kg / 21.08lbsFrameALUXX SL-Grade AluminiumForkCarbon Composite, OverDrive aluminium steererHandlebarGiant Connect, 31.8StemGiant ConnectSeatpostGiant Connect Composite, 30.9SaddleGiant Performance Road, Men'sShiftersShimano 105Front DerailleurShimano 105Rear DerailleurShimano 105BrakesTektro TK-R540 Giant Specific, Dual PivotBrake LeversShimano 105CassetteShimano Tiagra 12x30, 10-spChainKMC X10CranksetShimano R565, 34/50Bottom BracketShimano, Press FitRimsP-Elite C WheelsetHubsP-Elite C WheelsetSpokesP-Elite C WheelsetTyresGiant P-R3, Flat Guard, Front and Rear Specific, 700x25Weight9.56kg / 21.08lbshttp://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/giant-defy-1-14

This is the spec to the Giant Defy 1.

Which has the better specced bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

This one popped up in the bargain alerts thread the other day, and looks like a decent deal IMHO, though I have to concede that I know nothing of the brand and it's a new enough marque so little reputation to go on: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-r10-rival-2013/

If the frame is any way decent though, the combination of the wheels and Rival look like making it a decent buy, if you're open to SRAM of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭furiousox

The Bike Hub in Howth stock Wilier, have you spoken to them?
    And remember....;)
    Giants = Toyota
    Wilier = Alfa Romeo

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    And remember....;)
    Giants = Toyota
    Wilier = Alfa Romeo

I have been out there last year when they had the La Triestina wilier in stock. It is not on the wilier release list for this year, the montegrappe elite I think has replaced it.

Based on waht you are saying above the Giants are better built, will last longer and of lower spec. is this the case?

What would you recommend as an entry level bike, but a bike for the next 5 years or so.

Depends on your objectives.
    Will you be riding for training/leisure or do you intend to race?
    The Giant would be a good all rounder, the Wilier might be a bit more aggressive.
    Don't rush into a decision, take your time and do plenty of research.
    Worth visiting all the LBS and seeing what's available.
    CSS, Cycleways, Wheelworx etc.
    I tested a Scott CR1 last year (among others) and felt then that it was the right bike for me.
    I ended up buying a Felt Z5 which ticked all the boxes I was looking for.
    Now the Felt is sold and I have my CR1 and I know I have the right bike (for me)
    Seems to me you've already got your heart set on a Wilier?
    Might be over budget, but the GT looks good.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-wilier-bikes-gran-turismo-12-us-ultegra-build-46203/

Follow your instinct, you'll know when you've found the right one.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Depends on your objectives.
    Will you be riding for training/leisure or do you intend to race?
    The Giant would be a good all rounder, the Wilier might be a bit more aggressive.
    Don't rush into a decision, take your time and do plenty of research.
    Worth visiting all the LBS and seeing what's available.
    CSS, Cycleways, Wheelworx etc.
    I tested a Scott CR1 last year (among others) and felt then that it was the right bike for me.
    I ended up buying a Felt Z5 which ticked all the boxes I was looking for.
    Now the Felt is sold and I have my CR1 and I know I have the right bike (for me)
    Seems to me you've already got your heart set on a Wilier?
    Might be over budget, but the GT looks good.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-wilier-bikes-gran-turismo-12-us-ultegra-build-46203/

Follow your instinct, you'll know when you've found the right one.

I looked at the cr-1 in wheelworx a while back, 1300 quid for 9 speed sora is in no way good value or worth it on a lower end carbon frame. Way over priced, op should consider what group set they're getting as well as whether or not to get carbon or aluminium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Gavlor, do you know which shops stock this bike. I have had a look online but cannot find one.

Waterford cycle centre and walls in kk afaik in the south east.

Might take a bit of ringing around

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

And remember....;)
    Giants = Toyota
    Wilier = Alfa Romeo

I'd say the Wilier's are far nicer than alfa romeo's!

Italian bikes anrn't comparable with their car manufacturing or no one would buy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

And remember....;)
    Giants = Toyota
    Wilier = Alfa Romeo

Don't Alfa's rust to bits?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Id check out Merida bikes too. Iv one myself use it for leisure riding and find it great.

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    I looked at the cr-1 in wheelworx a while back, 1300 quid for 9 speed sora is in no way good value or worth it on a lower end carbon frame. Way over priced, op should consider what group set they're getting as well as whether or not to get carbon or aluminium.

I wasn't putting the CR1 forward as good value for money for the OP, I just mentioned it as it was my experience of using your gut instinct when buying a bike.
    I agree 1300 isn't great value for a Sora equipped bike (I bought one with ultegra/105) but I wouldn't consider the CR1 a 'lower end carbon frame' either.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

conkennedy wrote: »

If you posted this thirty years ago, you might have had a point. Not now.

Italian all the way ..... :P

Anyone can justify buying a Nippo-bland car on any number of levels. Same with the 'big' bike manufacturers. Do something different, stand out in a crowd.....get the Wilier.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wilier, by their own admission, would not be the greatest engineers in the world.

You don't buy an Italian-branded bike for state of the art engineering, you buy it cos it makes a party in your pants.

Bike Spec.pdf

I have uploaded a bike spec. for comparions. Any further thoughts appreciated.

Own current thoughts:

La Triestina - Its a 2013 bike, cassette 11-25, is this an issue for a entry level - Loved the feel of it, 23mm tyres, rode it Sept last, and would love to ride it again if it was in stock! Does anyone have a weight for this bike

Giant Defy 1 Cant really fault it, similar spec to La Triestina and price similar to all others, heavier bike at 9.56kgs, 25mm tyres, rode this bike today

Cube Peloton Race Compact Cant really fault it, similar spec to La Triestina and price similar to all others, light bike at 8.7kgs, rode this bike today, could not tell the difference with the Giant Defy 1. It looks as if it is better specced than the Giant. Pushing towards this over the Giant.

Scott Speedster 20 I had planned to ride this today, not in stock though. Again heavier bike at 9.4kgs. It seems less specced than the Cube, therefore pushing towards the Cube.

Planet X SL Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra A poster above threw this bike into the mix. Would love to ride this as it seems to be very highly specced in comparison to the other 4 bikes. Any thoughts on this one. Where can one get hold of this bike in Dublin for a test ride!

All thoughts are welcome, we are looking to hold onto this bike for the next 5 years, hence the detailed investigation before purchasing!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Planet X stands out by a mile as the best spec'd bike.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    The Planet X stands out by a mile as the best spec'd bike.

I see that alright, but would anyone pick one of the other bikes over the Planet X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Its an interesting discussion because I'm looking at the same price range but may stretch to the Scott Speedster S10 due to the Ultegra groupset.

The Giant Defy 1 was voted best bike of the year for this Budget by Cycling Plus in 2013 which is interesting.

Another one to throw into the mix could be the Cannondale CAAD8.

It really is all about your comfort on the bike. The S10 is probably a different bike to the Defy as the Speedster would be a bit more racey and not aimed at comfort as much as the Defy.

I see that alright, but would anyone pick one of the other bikes over the Planet X.

Plenty of people do, I don't actually understand why.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-planet-x-sl-pro-carbon-10-36958/

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Actually, the Eastway 1.0 Rival beats the Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra in terms of spec/price ratio as well as price, by a good mile. Its stock weight is 7.0kg and comes with Mavic Cosmic Elites. The Planet X bike is over 1kg heavier, which you'd have to spend a good €300-400 to make up.

Although the choice of SRAM vs Shimano is an ecumenical matter.

mirv wrote: »
    Actually, the Eastway 1.0 Rival beats the Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra in terms of spec/price ratio as well as price, by a good mile. Its stock weight is 7.0kg and comes with Mavic Cosmic Elites. The Planet X bike is over 1kg heavier, which you'd have to spend a good €300-400 to make up.

SRAM Rival is a step below Ultegra though , it's more in the 105 area. I think.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Barely though, Rival has carbon levers as well and the shifter internals are the same throughout SRAMs range so it's up there with Force/Red save for titanium bits, so its more Ultegra than 105.

The 1kg difference in weight is really something though, you really would have to spend a decent amount to get the Planet X that much lighter.

Brian? wrote: »
    SRAM Rival is a step below Ultegra though , it's more in the 105 area. I think.

I have attached the typical component levels which I found online

I have attached the typical component levels which I found online

That list is wrong. It's missing SRAM Red, which is the pro level SRAM groupset, not Force.

There is no mention of 11-speed or electronic groupsets either.

they/them/theirs

Barely though, Rival has carbon levers as well and the shifter internals are the same throughout SRAMs range so it's up there with Force/Red save for titanium bits, so its more Ultegra than 105.

Fair enough, I don't know a huge amount about SRAM to be honest.
    The 1kg difference in weight is really something though, you really would have to spend a decent amount to get the Planet X that much lighter.

1kg in weight is huge alright.

they/them/theirs

Has anyone a spec on this bike, the Eastway 1.0 Rival, from what I see online it seems to cost more than €1,250 mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

conkennedy wrote: »

My mate had one. they have improved recently apparently but build quality isnt great. they certainly dont deserve to be compared to those lovely wiliers

Advertisement