Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Road to the Ryder Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

AGC wrote: »
    Yeah until last night Watson had not much of a decision to make. Id go with Kirk above Simpson and Moore

We were wrong.

Bradley mahan and simpson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I see Darren Clarke will be working with Sky so obviously not a vice captain this time around

A flyover of the course and each hole at Gleneagles!

http://www.rydercup2014.com/the-course/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

RikkFlair wrote: »
    I see Darren Clarke will be working with Sky so obviously not a vice captain this time around

He should be good - I always like his interviews - just talks straight. I wonder who Paul will pick for vice captains.

vienne86 wrote: »
    He should be good - I always like his interviews - just talks straight. I wonder who Paul will pick for vice captains.

Sam Torrance and Des Smyth already locked in.

He has room for one more I think, possibly 2

Could take in Paddy Harrington ?

Or go out of left field and ask Luke Donald.

When Monty asked Sergio to be vice captain. He was like a 13th player all by himself out there. He was absolutely everywhere. His enthusiasm was second to none and Luke could do the same....

• Advertisement

Actually yeah, Monty had 4 assistant captains ( McGinley, Bjorn, Clarke and Garcia ) so I guess McGinley could have the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Rikand wrote: »
    We were wrong.

Bradley mahan and simpson

Yeap, still 3 good picks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Ryder_Cup#Players

Interesting to look at the winning percentages of players on both teams.

Stenson is the only player on the European Team with a losing percentage from his matches ( less than 50% record )

But the American's only have 5 people with a 50% or better record and 3 of them were Captains picks. Straight hitters Zach Johnson and Matt Kuchar being the others.

It really does go towards asserting how dominant Europe have been in recent Ryder Cups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Sam Torrance and Des Smyth already locked in.

He has room for one more I think, possibly 2

Could take in Paddy Harrington ?

Or go out of left field and ask Luke Donald.

When Monty asked Sergio to be vice captain. He was like a 13th player all by himself out there. He was absolutely everywhere. His enthusiasm was second to none and Luke could do the same....

I read that he is going to choose 3 additional vice captains and that they are likely to be Harrington, Paul Lawrie and Jiminez. Announcement expected before the end of this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

abff wrote: »
    I read that he is going to choose 3 additional vice captains and that they are likely to be Harrington, Paul Lawrie and Jiminez. Announcement expected before the end of this week.

I don't think I would let Harrington anywhere near them. He'll wreck their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Nice backing music by Lir too :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Langer is being mentioned as a possible shock choice for vice captain.

abff wrote: »
    Langer is being mentioned as a possible shock choice for vice captain.

I wouldn't be shocked at all. Only thing is McGinley might be wary of having very strong people around who might undermine his authority.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Jose Maria Olazabal, Padraig Harrington and Miguel Angel Jimenez as assistant captains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jose Maria Olazabal, Padraig Harrington and Miguel Angel Jimenez as assistant captains.

A bit daft to have Jose Maria in ? - as in too close to last one ?

Is Padraig in - class - or is that your prediction ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

All three are confirmed in

Synode wrote: »
    All three are confirmed in

Having Jose and Paddy together is fascinating,

But having Jose there is like having Ferguson in the stands for Moyes. (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Having Jose and Paddy together is fascinating,

But having Jose there is like having Ferguson in the stands for Moyes. (IMO)

It's nothing like that at all. So much experience and all very popular players which will help. Cannot wait for this to kick off.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    It's nothing like that at all. So much experience and all very popular players which will help. Cannot wait for this to kick off.

I think it is - he was captain - very close to the players - 24 months ago.

Things go wrong - who does Garcia and lads from old team "turn" to. :confused:

I think it is - he was captain - very close to the players - 24 months ago.

Things go wrong - who does Garcia and lads from old team "turn" to. :confused:

If they turn to jose, so what ? Thats why you elect vice captains - to take the pressure of yourself when things aren't going your way and to get necessary advice from them throughout. If jose has a different opinion or if the players go to jose with thoughts, he can go to Paul with these thoughts as an intermediary. All that matters is the team wins and IF the team wins, Paul will get all the plaudits for the way he put his team together.

The european team is a TEAM. It's probably part of the reason why we have done so much better than the states in recent years, we have more of a TEAM mentality. The US are more like a group of individuals bundled into a team

• Advertisement

Lets not forget, Paul has been part of many of the last few successful European teams over the last number of year. Whether as a player or as a vice captain, so he knows exactly how things lie in the dressing room. There's no doubt that he has carefully assembled the people he wants to help us win this. If a big personality like Jose is going to do this, then kudos to Paul!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

McGinley has been doing well, until now. I can only describe the selection of his backroom staff as bizarre.
    Bringing in Des Smyth and Sam Torrance made no sense whatsoever. Spare me the "experience" debate, McGinley is either his own man or he's not. Calling on Torrance's experience from 20 years ago is nonsensical. He may as well have supported Torrance getting the job this time round. Des Smyth brings very little experience to the job. If you were going to appoint someone of that vintage then Sandy Lyle was a better pick.
    As for Harrington, this is by far the most egregious appointment. Despite the fact that he is seen as aloof and remote by most players, he has not competed on the European Tour for years. I do not see what his qualifications for the job are, other than he's McGinley's mate. A far better choice would have been Darren Clarke. A major winner and talisman for the European team. The fact that he was still competing on the European Tour and, latterly America, means he knows most of the players and has a great relationship with at least 4 of them, McIlroy, MacDowell, Westwood, and Bjorn.
    Again the selection of JM Olazabal smacked of someone needing a crutch. The obvious choice here was another Scot, Paul Lawrie. Vastly experienced, major winner, European tour player, and, possibly most important, a local man.
    You dropped the ball Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Lets not forget, Paul has been part of many of the last few successful European teams over the last number of year. Whether as a player or as a vice captain, so he knows exactly how things lie in the dressing room. There's no doubt that he has carefully assembled the people he wants to help us win this. If a big personality like Jose is going to do this, then kudos to Paul!

Yes, Paul has seen a lot of these situations, so let's hope he has got this one right. Not at all sure what Harrington brings to the party, but it'll be nice to see him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

As for Harrington, this is by far the most egregious appointment. Despite the fact that he is seen as aloof and remote by most players, he has not competed on the European Tour for years. I do not see what his qualifications for the job are, other than he's McGinley's mate. A far better choice would have been Darren Clarke. A major winner and talisman for the European team. The fact that he was still competing on the European Tour and, latterly America, means he knows most of the players and has a great relationship with at least 4 of them, McIlroy, MacDowell, Westwood, and Bjorn.

The highlighted bits don't make sense, completely contradictory. Unless you have some inside knowledge of how Harrington & Clarke get on with the other players, then any comment is only speculation.

You say that Padraig has no qualifications for the job but Darren's include being a major winner and that he competes on the European Tour & PGA Tour with the other players!! Surely all of these things apply to Padraig also!

I don't think anyone expected Darren to be a vice-captain on this team. For reasons best known to himself, he tried to hinder McGinley's candidacy in the days leading up to the vote. You may think that is something that Paul should have overlooked but, as captain, it is surely best that he fully trusts everyone on his backroom team.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

McGinley has been doing well, until now. I can only describe the selection of his backroom staff as bizarre.
    Bringing in Des Smyth and Sam Torrance made no sense whatsoever. Spare me the "experience" debate, McGinley is either his own man or he's not. Calling on Torrance's experience from 20 years ago is nonsensical. He may as well have supported Torrance getting the job this time round. Des Smyth brings very little experience to the job. If you were going to appoint someone of that vintage then Sandy Lyle was a better pick.
    Again the selection of JM Olazabal smacked of someone needing a crutch. The obvious choice here was another Scot, Paul Lawrie. Vastly experienced, major winner, European tour player, and, possibly most important, a local man.
    You conveniently forgot to mention when bashing Harrington and what he brings is that he has 3 majors. You were very quick to throw majors around when talking about Lawrie and Lyle. If the player's cannot respect a 3 time major winner then they'll never respect anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

And not a caddy has been sacked yet!!!!

The man who most of us wanted for the job clearly can't do it :)
    Unless he wins. That's a given.

Think there's way too much hype and analysis of the back room team in general.
    It's down to 12 great golfers against another 12, a whole pile of luck and who plays marginally better.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

As much as I like Harrington it would be hard to take him seriously in the locker room given his antics over the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Domo1982 wrote: »
    As much as I like Harrington it would be hard to take him seriously in the locker room given his antics over the last few years

LOL!! What antics?? He lost his game, it happens. Jaysus!!!

P.S Unless he's trashed a few locker rooms in the last few years???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Bizarre post, especially the Harrington piece.

You really think Harrington has no relationship with McIlroy, McDowell, Westwood, Bjorn etc...? He has played on Ryder Cup teams with those 4 players you say. He also has massive knowledge of the event and someone McGinley is clearly comfortable with.

Id love to see your insight into Andy North

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    The highlighted bits don't make sense, completely contradictory. Unless you have some inside knowledge of how Harrington & Clarke get on with the other players, then any comment is only speculation.

You say that Padraig has no qualifications for the job but Darren's include being a major winner and that he competes on the European Tour & PGA Tour with the other players!! Surely all of these things apply to Padraig also!

I don't think anyone expected Darren to be a vice-captain on this team. For reasons best known to himself, he tried to hinder McGinley's candidacy in the days leading up to the vote. You may think that is something that Paul should have overlooked but, as captain, it is surely best that he fully trusts everyone on his backroom team.
    You must have highlighted the wrong bits.
    That said, Harrington played his golf almost exclusively in America, whilst Clarke has only been there over the last couple of years. I cannot think of one player he could be considered close to, or even have a relationship with, except McGinley. You might think that important but in a team event I think your relationship with the team is of paramount importance.

Lots of players have lost their games over the years. Form is a fairly transitory thing.

Rory McIlroy will be the only player in the locker room who could truthfully look at Padraig and say "I've achieved more in my career than he has". As Keano A Legend said above, if any player can't take Harrington seriously, then he is the one with the problem!

That said, Harrington played his golf almost exclusively in America, whilst Clarke has only been there over the last couple of years. I cannot think of one player he could be considered close to, or even have a relationship with, except McGinley. You might think that important but in a team event I think your relationship with the team is of paramount importance.
    All the players bar probably Gallacher play the majority of their golf in the US now and have done for years. It's obvious you don't like Harrington. We get it.

LOL!! What antics?? He lost his game, it happens. Jaysus!!!

P.S Unless he's trashed a few locker rooms in the last few years???

I'd like to see that!:)

No just the Happy Gilmore messing and playing with the electrodes all over his head....bit much.

I'm a big fan by the way - just that stuff is a bit cringy thats all

You conveniently forgot to mention when bashing Harrington and what he brings is that he has 3 majors. You were very quick to throw majors around when talking about Lawrie and Lyle. If the player's cannot respect a 3 time major winner then they'll never respect anyone.
    I said that Lyle brings more to it than Des Smyth. I said that Lawrie would be a better choice than Olazabal. I was not "bashing" Harrington, merely remarking that he was a poor choice and gave an alternative which I believe would bring more to the team. I fail to see what Harrington would bring to the team. He is not inspirational and, as has been remarked on before by players, is aloof and a remote figure. That is not someone you want in a team set-up

McGinley has pretty well acknowledged that Harrington is there because he is his friend and you'd have to say that stacks up as a better reason than anything else put forward. It might be that McGinley feels he needs a pal in his corner and someone to bounce pairing etc ideas off. Fair enough but I frankly can't see Harrington having anything much to offer players who are routinely 15 shots ahead of him most Fridays.

• Advertisement

No, I highlighted the contradictory bits that don't make sense!

More than half of the current team play their golf almost exclusively in America. So long as any player is still playing on either tour (Padraig & Darren play on both), he will know all of the other team members. The very reasons you gave to support Darren & Paul Lawrie apply to an even greater extent to Padraig.

I explained in my previous post why Darren was never likely to be a VC on this occasion. He only has himself to blame.

Lots of players have lost their games over the years. Form is a fairly transitory thing.

But you just argued in the other thread that he was top of the world for longer than people think to diss poor old Monty!!

You cant run with the hare and hunt with the hounds Martin!!:)

Jesus Wept!

I said that Lyle brings more to it than Des Smyth. I said that Lawrie would be a better choice than Olazabal. I was not "bashing" Harrington, merely remarking that he was a poor choice and gave an alternative which I believe would bring more to the team. I fail to see what Harrington would bring to the team. He is not inspirational and, as has been remarked on before by players, is aloof and a remote figure. That is not someone you want in a team set-up
    People have very short memories.

Harrington has played in 6 Ryder Cups, Lyle 5 and Lawrie 2.

Harrington has 3 majors - the two lads 3 combined.

Yes his game has gone to pot but you please don't say they bring more to the table.

First Up wrote: »
    McGinley has pretty well acknowledged that Harrington is there because he is his friend and you'd have to say that stacks up as a better reason than anything else put forward. It might be that McGinley feels he needs a pal in his corner and someone to bounce pairing etc ideas off. Fair enough but I frankly can't see Harrington having anything much to offer players who are routinely 15 shots ahead of him most Fridays.

If that's the criteria then McGinley & four of his vice-captains should pull out now and allow MA Jiminez to run the show on his own!

But you just argued in the other thread that he was top of the world for longer than people think to diss poor old Monty!!

You cant run with the hare and hunt with the hounds Martin!!:)

Jesus Wept!

I have no idea what you're taking about!!!

First off, I was never dissing Monty. I was just pointing out that he & Padraig have been inside the world's top 10 for fairly similar periods of time. That is a reasonable way of evaluating players careers over the years.

Lots of players have lost their games over the years and have desperately tried to get back to the previous levels, sometimes in vain. That is a fact. Those efforts are not "antics".

There is no contradiction in anything I said on either thread.

• Advertisement

If that's the criteria then McGinley & four of his vice-captains should pull out now and allow MA Jiminez to run the show on his own!

Not the only factor but I'm not persuaded that the players will be all that interested in the advice of someone who has been reduced to hitting trick shots on the range in search of his swing. Harrington is respected for his past achievements but I suspect he is a bit of a joke at this stage. McGinley will listen to him; I'm not sure about anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Trampas

I wouldn't have Harrington myself but can see why Paul selected him.

Don't understand Smyth and Torrance as they've been out of PGA and euro tour scene for years or decades even.

Trampas wrote: »
    I wouldn't have Harrington myself but can see why Paul selected him.

Don't understand Smyth and Torrance as they've been out of PGA and euro tour scene for years or decades even.

Well Torrance is a former captain and Smyth has previous vice captaincy experience, although it is eight years ago. I had assumed Smyth was McGinley's Irish "confidante" in the set-up, but now he has two.

Harrington was interviewed on Newstalk earlier, well worth a listen as is anything with PH.

Anyway, from what I gathered, as a former player his thoughts on vice captains used to be "that they were there on a jolly".... His exact words iirc.
    And he didn't exactly paint the picture that he'll be doing a lot apart from being an ear for McGinley and making Bjorn coffee.

They're glorified concierges... The media has created these roles into something they're not. It's all part of the circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Utter garbage alright.

Its like the arms race between Gillette and Wilkinson Sword : shave with one blade ? Now play the Ryder Cup with FIVE vice captains !

What does the captain do anyway ?
    Select the colour of the uniforms. Tough one.
    Pick the wild cards ? Meh. One or two already pick themselves anyway. The last spot is pick 1 from 4, and you can neither be right nor wrong.
    Shuffle your players into pairs and playing order. No one knows what works or not. Spin a 'strong pairings together as bankers' or 'balanced pairs of experience and form' etc, etc.
    After that? Just buzz around on a buggy, generally looking worried around the 17th or 18th tees, saying stuff like 'come on. you can do it'.

Could I have read that Paulie gets about £2M for the whole shindig ?

Utter garbage alright.

Its like the arms race between Gillette and Wilkinson Sword : shave with one blade ? Now play the Ryder Cup with FIVE vice captains !

What does the captain do anyway ?
    Select the colour of the uniforms. Tough one.
    Pick the wild cards ? Meh. One or two already pick themselves anyway. The last spot is pick 1 from 4, and you can neither be right nor wrong.
    Shuffle your players into pairs and playing order. No one knows what works or not. Spin a 'strong pairings together as bankers' or 'balanced pairs of experience and form' etc, etc.
    After that? Just buzz around on a buggy, generally looking worried around the 17th or 18th tees, saying stuff like 'come on. you can do it'.

Could I have read that Paulie gets about £2M for the whole shindig ?

I think you can get an idea of the role of the captain when you compare good ones like Torrance and Olazabal with bad ones like Faldo.

I think you can get an idea of the role of the captain when you compare good ones like Torrance and Olazabal with bad ones like Faldo.

I think it's a case of just avoiding an utter fcuk up (like Faldo).
    Don't think there's any major skill involved.... Just make sure that everyone arrives on time for their tee... Ara sure Jose won so he'll go down as a legendary captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Wasnt Faldo's fault. He didnt stand a chance - he only had two vice captains. one was Paulie, though, so clearly he learnt well from that experience....."If I ever get to be Captain one day, I'll have LOADS of vice captains. I couldnt loose then."

I love the Ryder Cup - I loved it when Europe were the underdogs more.

But it has seemed for a while - the European's have been taking it much more seriously then the Us team.

Not feeling this one yet - but it grows on me as the week goes on.

I'm never comfortable with golf fans thinking they are football fans.

You have to be on the serious piss to take it this serious.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0YlRlTV5U2g1ferQ97Pde4sJymjT86hkRAJ-Aykjj8zBEE3RE

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuoRb2M2CxU1z0r_blKuEnSK7o_p-IGLRD9YuZFrF7uUr70UJO

Mods ?

Any chance of a Ryder Cup thread.

My head is not working with all these threads

Who will win Poll would be a good laugh - show voters too ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement