Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training aids - best/worst

• 16-09-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭

Let's here about the training aids you've bought, good or bad.

I just got the swingyde and tour striker - both great bits of kit and giving me improved results already.

Would be interested to hear if anyone's used the orange whip?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

I've no training aids other then an indoor putting mat but on my shopping list is a putting mirror.
    I'm also looking to get a GolfSense thing for the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Anyone know what the putting aid is that Rory uses in warm up? He was using it Sunday before his round and holed something like 54 6-foot putts in a row...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

http://www.eyelinegolf.com/

Best one's i have used it the pelz putting gizmo or the putting tutor both are the same and basically make sure you are starting the putt where you think you are. When you are able to hit it out thry the marbles 50 times in a row you are pretty confident over any putt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,000 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Anyone know what the putting aid is that Rory uses in warm up? He was using it Sunday before his round and holed something like 54 6-foot putts in a row...

Iv'e holed over 100 (just over 5 foot putts) on a mat . Im a useless putter. :D

mats nothing like real putting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Iv'e holed over 100 (just over 5 foot putts) on a mat . Im a useless putter. :D

mats nothing like real putting.

I'm beginning to think these mats are doing more damage than good. I was practicing with a few different putters tonight and was sinking everything. No help at all.

• Advertisement

I'm sort of joking -

But a few problems with them are.

There is no grain
    They have a massive ramp to return ball - this is daft for pace control
    The ramp when hit at an angle is not a natural angle for a putt
    They are totally flat - not good for testing how to hit breaking short putts

Yes - it is a good tool to practice your basic stoke - but way more to putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

BraveDonut wrote: »

I think it's just a mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

ForeRight wrote: »
    I think it's just a mirror

What's the benefit of a mirror to determine your putting stroke? His does it help see the swing path.
    I know Mickelson had a putter with a mirror inserted into the putter face which he used in conjunction with a laser to confirm he was keeping the face square. I csan see the benefit of that but struggle to see the benefit of the mirror under the putter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Best - anything that can be made up from your own bag. Tees. Balls. Other clubs. Towel. Umbrella. Etc...

Worst. Anything harrington has tried in the last 2 years ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

What's the benefit of a mirror to determine your putting stroke? His does it help see the swing path.
    I know Mickelson had a putter with a mirror inserted into the putter face which he used in conjunction with a laser to confirm he was keeping the face square. I csan see the benefit of that but struggle to see the benefit of the mirror under the putter.

It's a mirror with a piece cut out and a path line leading to where the ball sits. The main benefit is it allows you to make sure your dominant eye is directly over the ball.

You can check this w/o a mirror by addressing the ball, holding a second ball to your dominant eye and dropping it, it should hit the ball you intend putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I was thinking of getting The Pill (settle now)

http://www.thepillgolf.com/

Sergio uses these guys and you can see how much his putting has improved over the last 2 years. One of my issues with my putting is getting a solid impact, 50% of the time i'm hitting off the toe or the heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

hades wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting The Pill (settle now)

http://www.thepillgolf.com/

Sergio uses these guys and you can see how much his putting has improved over the last 2 years. One of my issues with my putting is getting a solid impact, 50% of the time i'm hitting off the toe or the heel.

Similar one here : http://www.breakingpar.ie/putterwheel.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

I'm sort of joking -

But a few problems with them are.

There is no grain
    They have a massive ramp to return ball - this is daft for pace control
    The ramp when hit at an angle is not a natural angle for a putt
    They are totally flat - not good for testing how to hit breaking short putts

Yes - it is a good tool to practice your basic stoke - but way more to putting.

I disagree, a little.

When using the mat, i would go through a normal pre-putt routine before putting instead of just hitting putt after putt.
    I aim for the ball to drop into a specific side of the hole rather then the middle.

If trying to get 10/20 etc in a row, there can be a bit of pressure on the last few putts.

The ramp is not a problem if the ball goes straight up the ramp rather then at an angle and it maybe helps with having good pace on the ball if the ball just drops in the hole.

I do agree that its no substitute for a real green but the mat does no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I have a flat mat so no issue with the elevation.
    You have to retrieve the ball as a result and that's prob a good thing as it slows things down a bit.

Have to strongly disagree with Charlie, they're brilliant, if like Rollo, you know their limitations and use them accordingly.

There's no point sinking every putt for ten minutes and thinking you're a good putter. As Rollo suggests, you need to narrow down your target (because it's so much easier).
    Aside from aiming at a certain point in the cup, you can draw a straight line on the mat and try to keep it rolling on that or you can aim for another ball on the mat (rather than using the hole) to make it more difficult. A good putt hits it flush, a bad one brushes off the other ball.

I see it as being similar to the range. It's very easy to be fooled into thinking that your doing well! You need to narrow down your targets and be critical/hard on yourself not your tool.

As training aids go I think a mat is the best one around.
    Cheap as chips, you can throw it down anytime, no excuse not to be using it as the kettle boils or when there's a moment free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

When i'm using the mat, i place 2 balls down in front of the ball i'm hitting to make sure i'm hitting straight - like placing two tees on the putting green. There's a hill on mine with 2 "hazards" so i practice just about getting it there to more aggressive putts.

The hole is so big a football would go in it though!!

PARlance wrote: »
    I have a flat mat so no issue with the elevation.
    You have to retrieve the ball as a result and that's prob a good thing as it slows things down a bit.

Have to strongly disagree with Charlie, they're brilliant, if like Rollo, you know their limitations and use them accordingly.

There's no point sinking every putt for ten minutes and thinking you're a good putter. As Rollo suggests, you need to narrow down your target (because it's so much easier).
    Aside from aiming at a certain point in the cup, you can draw a straight line on the mat and try to keep it rolling on that or you can aim for another ball on the mat (rather than using the hole) to make it more difficult. A good putt hits it flush, a bad one brushes off the other ball.

I see it as being similar to the range. It's very easy to be fooled into thinking that your doing well! You need to narrow down your targets and be critical/hard on yourself not your tool.

As training aids go I think a mat is the best one around.
    Cheap as chips, you can throw it down anytime, no excuse not to be using it as the kettle boils or when there's a moment free.

Except for the wife and kids .
    I woke her up one night with the ball falling.

:o That sounds all wrong. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Except for the wife and kids .
    I woke her up one night with the ball falling.

:o That sounds all wrong. :D

I used to putt in the living room (wooden floor) and now the kitchen (Lino) :)
    The wooden floor was good for pressure... If it rolled off the mat there was a scream from upstairs.

Advertisement