Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying face-clothes and towels

• 16-09-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum...
    I have mostly white towels/face clothes and they're all stained from make-up and what not.
    No amount of whites cleaner will work so I'm thinking of dying them all brown/dark colour.

Has anyone tried this successfully?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

My experience with dying is that no matter how well you follow the instructions, the colour will run forever afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Personally I wouldn't bother dyeing something that you're going to be rubbing all over your face and body. More often than not the colour runs when wet and 99% of the time face cloths are wet. It'll prob be cheaper and make more sense to just buy new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have you tried a boil wash (i.e. a very hot wash)? I've found that it's the only effective way to bring towels back to whiteness, along with a scoop of whitener.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at getting a different towel colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

dudara wrote: »
    Have you tried a boil wash (i.e. a very hot wash)? I've found that it's the only effective way to bring towels back to whiteness, along with a scoop of whitener.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at getting a different towel colour.

It's mostly mascara, eyeliner stains!!!!!
    You would wonder what's in them to make them so wash resistant :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Get dark towels in Pennys

• Advertisement

Icsics wrote: »
    Get dark towels in Pennys

I have been buying darker towels of late but have so many stained white ones at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Have you tried boiling them in a pot with bleach and washing liquid/powder? 20-30 minutes should do it, then get them into a hot wash in the machine straight away. I also find that washing up liquid (Fairy) is great for lifting make up stains (and many other stains), just rub in a drop of it right before washing.
    Also remember that drying in a tumble dryer 'sets' stains, so dry them naturally (without heat) until the stains are fully removed.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Have you tried boiling them in a pot with bleach and washing liquid/powder? 20-30 minutes should do it, then get them into a hot wash in the machine straight away. I also find that washing up liquid (Fairy) is great for lifting make up stains (and many other stains), just rub in a drop of it right before washing.
    Also remember that drying in a tumble dryer 'sets' stains, so dry them naturally (without heat) until the stains are fully removed.

Great tips thanks!
    I never tumble dry (always air dry)
    Will try the fairy liquid, just need to find a giant pot :)

Advertisement