Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The moderator Ciderman and his ongoing wrangling over what phone to buy

• 18-09-2014 2:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah that doesn't work unfortunately! I tried linking the third PVM into the video loop using the composite out on the second PVM.

However, the video channels on these monitors are completely separate from each other. So to get a composite picture out, you need to have a composite source.

As the Megadrive is outputting RGB over BNC lines then the whole chain is on the RGB channel.

I guess 9 inch PVMs are a field monitor and not exactly something a studio is going to use to output a high quality video source.

I take it youtube object to tooting rear ends :(

Be warned, the video quality is atrocious. It would seem that videoing a CRT television in a badly lit room is not one of the Moto G's strong points.

On the subject of Moto G, I'm torn between buying one or goingad and spending the money on a phablet from China.
    Am I utterly mad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As long as you don't want to video CRTs in the dark then Moto G all the way. Delighted with my one so I am.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I managed to kill my S4 and need something to keep me going until next year when I'm due an upgrade.
    In the meantime I've a bit of freedom to buy what I like, once it's affordable, and the Moto G was the first thing I thought of.
    But....

There's a nice phone with a terrible name, the Elephone P8, and it has a huge HD screen, 2gb of ram, octocore cpu, and so on.
    The one I'm being offered by a regular on the android forum is going to cost 170.
    It already has the English kitkat OS installed, as well as the appropriate google apps.
    I'm tempted to say Feck it and buy one.
    Worse comes to worse I'll flog it and get a Moto G instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I should probably report myself for going off topic!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I managed to kill my S4 and need something to keep me going until next year when I'm due an upgrade.
    In the meantime I've a bit of freedom to buy what I like, once it's affordable, and the Moto G was the first thing I thought of.
    But....

There's a nice phone with a terrible name, the Elephone P8, and it has a huge HD screen, 2gb of ram, octocore cpu, and so on.
    The one I'm being offered by a regular on the android forum is going to cost 170.
    It already has the English kitkat OS installed, as well as the appropriate google apps.
    I'm tempted to say Feck it and buy one.
    Worse comes to worse I'll flog it and get a Moto G instead.

Just get the new Moto G and save yourself any hassle buying a weird Chinese brand.

Master of the Universe

I've yet to buy a Chinese branded product like that which I was truly happy with. They usually have some issue or other.

For far less than that you can get a Moto G that will run great, have no real issues and runs a tonne of stuff.

Just make sure you get the 16GB model.

• Advertisement

Just make sure you get the 16GB model.

Think the new one comes with 8GB but has a Micro SD card slot now.

Or he could go for the bigger 5" 1080p screen of the Moto X. Both look like great phones.

I can get the Moto G LTE edition, 8gb with the SD slot (and we know how much I love those!) for 170 from Meteor.
    But the Moto G 2 seems to be thinner on the ground, it's 5" screen is the same resolution as before but with no LTE option.
    Decisions decisions
    I'll save myself for a decent phablet next year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just get the new Moto G and save yourself any hassle buying a weird Chinese brand.

I have a Xiaomi MiPad and it's actually bloody brilliant! Probably the best tablet I've owned to date. Tegra K whateveritscalled GPU in it. Benches like a mofo and is super fast. :D

As for phones, the OnePlus One looks amazing but I'll probably be getting the Note 4 or Note 4 Edge (if something decent can be done with the window gimmick).

The Xiaomi phones are not to be sniffed at either!

I'm going to go for the cheap as chips Moto G from Vodafone UK.
    About 110 euro delivered and a quick unlock code and I'm laughing.
    8gb doesn't really bother me at all tbh

Master of the Universe

It will when you start to approach your storage capacity!

I'm getting capacity warnings a lot lately with the 16gb model. A few games can be almost half a GB big.

• Advertisement

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    I have a Xiaomi MiPad and it's actually bloody brilliant! Probably the best tablet I've owned to date. Tegra K whateveritscalled GPU in it. Benches like a mofo and is super fast. :D

As for phones, the OnePlus One looks amazing but I'll probably be getting the Note 4 or Note 4 Edge (if something decent can be done with the window gimmick).

The Xiaomi phones are not to be sniffed at either!

Never heard of the Xiaomi brand before, the tablet looks to have fairly good specs actually. I'm very picky when it comes to tablets though, has to be a Nexus or nothing. :pac:

OnePlus One looks great for the price, if you can get your hands on one that is. Screen is too big for me though. Anything over a 5" screen is too big for a phone imo.

The Note 3 has been a champ. Had a Lumia 1510, a S4, a Galaxy Mega (which was too big) and feck knows what else. But the Note 3 has been along for the ride the whole way. Utter champion it is. I do the lot on it. SSH to boxes, RDP, Teamviewer, YouTube, Twitch, Chromecast everything under the Sun, mirror my (legit) satellite feeds to the TV, Plex, webmin and feck knows what else. It just has the grunt to do everything and more. Smashing smartphone. :)

Xiaomi are the 4th biggest manufacturer of phones/tablets/phablets etc in the world. They also make the incredible Piston 2 earphones (just bought 3 pairs of them. Wife LOVES them, I have a backup pair that went through the washing machine and still work just fine. Sold the 3rd pair as they were backup backups but these are so good I don't need them.

The MiPad is seriously well specced and the screen is just utterly wonderful and razor sharp, better than an iPad Mini Retina. FACT. We're talking litres of trouser custard here young Anthony! :D

First pad in the world with that Tegra K nonsense but it does flex it's muscle well above anything else I've tried. Smashing price too. Highly recommend folks pick one up, although MiUi may not be to everyones taste. Cyanogen are working on something though apparently...

Loads of top obscure Chinese stuff out there though. Especially DAC's and DAP's. Bathe yourselves in the obscuirty lads! :D

Well,
    This is the one I was looking at, in terms of Chinese madness
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2689279
    I'm torn over this one.
    I mean, if it turns out to be muck I can still shift it on and have enough to cover a Moto G.....

Well,
    This is the one I was looking at, in terms of Chinese madness
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2689279
    I'm torn over this one.
    I mean, if it turns out to be muck I can still shift it on and have enough to cover a Moto G.....

That looks like a juicy blower. Nice specs.

Forget the Moto G, buy a flowery shirt, slick back your hair and put on a Bon Jovi cassette. Bathe yourself in the juicyness of obscure Chinese technology, a thrilling minefield of gadgetry packed with thrills, chills and yes, even spills!

:)

It's the minefield I'm afraid of.
    Dodgy gps antennas
    Crappy fitting cases
    As if they were made in Dagenham on a Friday evening, just before happy hour in the pub....
    tumblr_mcugrn67PG1rzpg3f.gif

Get risky! :D

Stuff like the OnePlus One, Xiaomi RedMi (the worlds 4th best selling phone FACT), Oppo and so on are all well reviewed.

The real obscure stuff is probably best left alone. But there are many diamonds to be unearthed.

That blower looks good though. Dunno what resale you would get here over a more established brand in the West, thats the only minefield I can see with it personally...

As long as I get the price of a Moto G I don't mind, should it all go pear shaped.
    And I'll give it a try
    This phones comes from a reseller called etotalk who pre install the kitkat rom, get rid of the dodgy Chinese bloat and malware and I've a little more faith that it's not a crock.
    I shall report back

Long live PVM!

(Just to keep it relevant OP!)

What sort of price range is it anyway (shipped)? And will you get stung by your friends in customs?

What sort of price range is it anyway (shipped)? And will you get stung by your friends in customs?

What the MiPad? About 200andsomething nicker. Mine came through unscathed from the good people at customs, labelled honestly and everything.

Luck of the draw I guess. Even with import duty etc I personally think it's still a bargain. Just make sure to buy from a reputable retailer (not eBay!).

EDIT: Same with the Xiaomi Piston 2's. LOADS of bootlegs around so buy from a proper retailer in CN/HK or SG.

• Advertisement

I'm meeting up to test the phone on Sunday.
    I'm paying €160 assuming everything is good.
    Anything a little bit waaay and I can walk away and buy the phones everyone else buys.
    It's the only time I'll be buying a phone out of contract, aside from this I'll be using the same upgrade path as most pay monthly users, next year it'll be whatever takes over from the Note Edge or the LG Flex or something equally nuts.
    For now I'll take a chance.

I'm meeting up to test the phone on Sunday.
    I'm paying €160 assuming everything is good.
    Anything a little bit waaay and I can walk away and buy the phones everyone else buys.
    It's the only time I'll be buying a phone out of contract, aside from this I'll be using the same upgrade path as most pay monthly users, next year it'll be whatever takes over from the Note Edge or the LG Flex or something equally nuts.
    For now I'll take a chance.

Ah you're getting a hands on with it, cool. Least there'll be no surprises.

That's the hope, that is the hope.
    I'll run a few tests and see if it locks onto GPS, download a benchmark or two.
    Fingers crossed it won't be a wasted trip.

Master of the Universe

Reselling Chinese phone to buy Moto G in 5,4,3,2....

:pac:

Reselling Chinese phone to buy Moto G in 5,4,3,2....

:pac:

I'll stick it on Gumtree, so no one here can see, point and laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Couple of reports in the Chinese Android Phones thread of those Elefones not working on 3 data so be careful, could be just noobs doing something stupid though, no confirmation yet.

I bit the bullet and went for a OnePlusOne this morning, best 5.5" I could get even if €350 is about 75 more than I was planning on spending but thats alright when you consider it has 64 GB of memory built in, just sounds like an amazing device and designed for Cyanogenmod should ensure updates for years. Got one of these on the way to turn it into a portable emulator/general gaming platform:

http://www.dx.com/p/ipega-pg-9025-multimedia-bluetooth-controller-black-256612#.VB2pNxYguPU

Thargor wrote: »
    Couple of reports in the Chinese Android Phones thread of those Elefones not working on 3 data so be careful, could be just noobs doing something stupid though, no confirmation yet.

I bit the bullet and went for a OnePlusOne this morning, best 5.5" I could get even if €350 is about 75 more than I was planning on spending but thats alright when you consider it has 64 GB of memory built in, just sounds like an amazing device and designed for Cyanogenmod should ensure updates for years. Got one of these on the way to turn it into a portable emulator/general gaming platform:

http://www.dx.com/p/ipega-pg-9025-multimedia-bluetooth-controller-black-256612#.VB2pNxYguPU

Where did you order the phone from?

If I didn't have the Note 3 I'd go for a 1+1. Cracking blower. :)

Where did you order the phone from?
    Up until recently you had to put your name down in the invites thread and wait a couple of weeks but they're flush with them now as of yesterday so just ask and someone should PM you, Yabadadbadoo has a few left I think:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057251489

I got my invite by messaging my email address to about 30 random people on the OPO Facebook page asking if they had any spares, one random guy in the US gave me an invite for a 64GB black one which is exactly what I wanted. Only problem is you need the right invite for the phone you want, the 4 models are 16 GB black or white or 64 GB black or white (colour of back cover, front is black on all).

Once you get an invite follow the instructions in the OP of the invites thread, make sure its the UK site you're on, also you'll need to use Parcel Motel, they dont sell to Ireland. You should have the phone in a couple of days after you order, they come very fast.

• Advertisement

It was ropey until I replaced the launcher with Google Now, it seems to be fine at the mo.
    Happy days, I don't game on my phone at all anymore, so I just need something solid for browsing, this seems to be it!

The only thing about the 1+1 that bugs me is the lack of upgrade space. The new Xiaomi phones look awesome, though OnePlus might be saving up something juicy for the sequel.

Love my Xiaomi MiPad though. In terms of performance it just urinates all over anything we know about here in the west. Proper muscle under the hood and a serious world-beating GPU. Definitely looking to stay with Xiaomi if they can follow this one up with another good egg. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Still think your silly for not just getting the Moto G, which is an awesome phone for so few dollar.

Does the phone already have the "KK+L" rom?
    While I'd be fine tinkering around with a phone which has lots of support and also a service agent most likely in Ireland, I'd be a little hesitant with the 'Elephone'

Whats the battery life like when abusing the CPU/GPU?

I'm holding out for the Nexus 6 :)

The only thing about the 1+1 that bugs me is the lack of upgrade space. The new Xiaomi phones look awesome, though OnePlus might be saving up something juicy for the sequel.

Love my Xiaomi MiPad though. In terms of performance it just urinates all over anything we know about here in the west. Proper muscle under the hood and a serious world-beating GPU. Definitely looking to stay with Xiaomi if they can follow this one up with another good egg.
    What would you upgrade to from 64GB though?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I'm holding out for the Nexus 6 Note 4 Edge :)

FYP. :)

Thargor wrote: »
    Up until recently you had to put your name down in the invites thread and wait a couple of weeks but they're flush with them now as of yesterday so just ask and someone should PM you, Yabadadbadoo has a few left I think:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057251489

I got my invite by messaging my email address to about 30 random people on the OPO Facebook page asking if they had any spares, one random guy in the US gave me an invite for a 64GB black one which is exactly what I wanted. Only problem is you need the right invite for the phone you want, the 4 models are 16 GB black or white or 64 GB black or white (colour of back cover, front is black on all).

Once you get an invite follow the instructions in the OP of the invites thread, make sure its the UK site you're on, also you'll need to use Parcel Motel, they dont sell to Ireland. You should have the phone in a couple of days after you order, they come very fast.

Cheers, not in the market for a new phone myself right now but was curious if there was a normal ordering process for the general public by now. Not at all by the sounds of it!
    Love my Xiaomi MiPad though. In terms of performance it just urinates all over anything we know about here in the west. Proper muscle under the hood and a serious world-beating GPU. Definitely looking to stay with Xiaomi if they can follow this one up with another good egg. :)

Pfft, Nexus 9 will be the new king in a month's time I reckon (hopefully!).

• Advertisement

The new Nexus handsets are undoubtedly going to be lovely.
    Solid, reliable and no dependence on pointless gadgets.
    A bit like retrogaming!

Aside from a Menacer
    And a Gyromite game
    Or a Powerglove
    Or perhaps a Super Scope

Seeing as the phone decision is made, at least until I brick it or it explodes or Chinese malware sends my credit card details to HK, I'll close this thread.
    Thanks for all the help!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement