Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Venues around Ireland

Options
  • 15-09-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi, I am planning on getting married late 2015/early2016. I am looking for a venue for about 50-60 guests incl. accommodation. I have found plenty of hotels around the country but I am looking for somewhere I can have a bit of say regarding the menus and decor! Can anyone help me with this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I'm pretty sure most venues allow you to have a say in the decor and menus. If you mean you'd like to do a self-catering version, it'll certainly limit your choice a little as most hotels like having the revenue from hosting the whole wedding, including the meal and night-time drinking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Em, is it country house type things you are looking for?

Maybe Kilshane house, Bansha, Tipperary.
    http://www.kilshanehouse.ie/

Ballyvolane house, North Cork
    http://ballyvolanehouse.ie/

Ballinacurra house, Kinsale, Cork
    http://ballinacurra.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Most places will let you do what you like.. Me thinks and I do not mean to come across rude, but just for yerselfs to narrow things down.. Ye should put a list together of what ye would like and work from there. Then line up a few venues..

Also pick a country there are so many out there tis hard to choose

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

KimBlaides wrote: »
    I am looking for a venue for about 50-60 guests incl. accommodation.

That's the tricky part - actually finding a venue suited to 50-60 guests. Minimum requirement aside, I found venues that said they suited 60/70 guests most likely would look deserted when it came to the event. Nothing worse than a sparsely filled function room.

This might be off help http://onefabday.com/100-best-irish-wedding-venues-2014

The Mills Inn in Ballyvourney would suit that many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 KimBlaides

Thanks for the tips, I don't mind if its a country house or a hotel. I just would like somewhere that can accommodate the guests for the two nights as we have people travelling here from Scotland. The only problem I have with hotels is they seem a bit rigid on their decoration i.e. their centre pieces and decor etc. I would like to design some of my own decor. I don't want self catering but a lot of the standard menu's are quite uninspiring. This wedding stuff is hard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I don't think that's the case with many hotels, they probably only offer a limited selection of decorations, but you can bring in what you like if you have the time to set it up yourself.
    I did our centrepieces the night before. I don't like those round mirrors they use for table centrepieces, nor the tall candelabras. I got round vases, pebbles and flowers and decorated the room myself. I also put some on the windowsills and a table we used for the guest-book and seating plan. They did the chair covers.

same with Gatica with the hotels, when they show you a room done up that is just what they do but if you did not want it then it would be ok not to use it. Same goes for a cousins wedding recently she done all the decoration herself and made most of it..

I would knock Ballyvolane house off the list if you want accommodation aswell, we went to see this place and while it is loverly there accommodation is not great. People would have to get a bus around 20mins back and forth...

Must say after our own i was well impressed with the The Mills in Ballyvourney they are offering a very very nice deal and you do what you want and they have accommodation not too far from anywhere either...

Finding a venue is a dose most defiantly there are so many and so little options, but ye will know when ye find the right one for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I recently got married in Kippure Estate http://www.kippure.com/ . It's a little different to your standard wedding venue but I couldn't speak highly enough of both it and the staff there.

We had just under 70 people at it. All accommodation is on site. Lots of flexibility re decor. We had our own centrepieces and brought other decorations for the room. We were happy with the menu options offered so not sure how flexible they are with that.

We had the ceremony there too (outdoors).. the scenery is amazing.

It wouldn't be to everyone's taste. It's not a country house / hotel vibe but it suited us perfectly.

Inis Beg is suppose to be quite nice too, think there is a boards member getting hitched there soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

I have heard good things about Kippure Estate, although I haven't been there myself. As far as I could gather the idea with them is that you DO decorate the place yourself. There are holiday homes around it so it sounds like a good place for a two day wedding. And as far as I could see from their website their prices per head are very reasonable. Food is meant to be good too. Only thing is that it seems a bit isolated, but if that is your thing it could be just the place!

Have heard good things about Inis Beg too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 KimBlaides

Thanks so much for the recommendation of Kippure Estate, their website alone has me hooked!! It looks like exactly what I have been trying to find!

Advertisement