Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowering Action on Epiphone Dot

Options
  • 15-09-2014 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I hope I am in the correct forum. I received a present of an epiphone dot guitar recently. Having played a fender stratocaster recently also, the action on my dot seems extremely high. I know the dot is a hollow bodied, and therefore isn't the exact same as a stratocaster, but even so, the strings are too far from the fretboard.

I don't know much about the guitar, but I can see that screws on the body of the guitar can be screwed to lower the action on that end of the guitar. However I assume there has to be some work done on the neck also.

Is this something that shops in (Dublin) town can sort easily enough? Will the fact that it was bought online (thomann, I think) make any difference? Does anyone have an idea of the cost?

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

just a basic setup.

guitars are rarely at their best "out of the box"

Any shop should have a tech that can sort it, prices vary, so ask first, but it sould be well under €100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Cool, thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Usually about 40 euro for a set up.

And yeah, buying it on Thomann might make a difference. I brought a guitar into a shop in Cork and they refused to look at it because I bought it there. Closed down a few months later, good riddance.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Cheers for the reply.

If anyone from X music or Waltons reads these threads, and a guy shows up with a cherry red epiphone dot looking for a set-up, he bought it in your shop and not on thomann :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Lower the bridge using the knurled washers. Keep lowering until you get fret buzz somewhere, then raise it slightly to eradicate it. If that doesn't do it, check what guage strings are on it. One guage lighter can help. If it's still high, you might be looking at getting the nut dropped or the truss rod adjusted.
    The truss rod should be your last port of call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement