Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland

Options
  • 08-01-2013 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

i want to go to scotland next year to study neuroscience or physiology anybody going to scotland next yr? or already there. ? how is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi Twinkylinky,

I'm currently studying in Scotland, and really loving it. I'm in my second year studying in Edinburgh. It's a great city, there are lots of students and the city has loads to do and is very easy to get around.

If you are an EU citizen and haven't completed a degree before, then you are eligible for your fees to be paid (check out www.saas.gov.uk). As far as accommodation and food, I wouldn't say its really cheap, but you can live cheap enough if you budget. There are also student bus tickets and student discounts on loads of things. Plus it would be easy enough to find a part time job here if you needed to.

Have you decided which University to apply to? I am in Napier University, here's the website www.napier.ac.uk. Bear in mind that degrees are four years here so you'll be doing an extra year compared to home.

You will need to apply through the UK version of CAO which is UCAS (www.ucas.co.uk). The deadline is January I think, but as you are not planning to attend until next year then you have loads of time.

Can't think of anything else right now, but if you have any other questions let me know. Overall I really like it here, its not that different than home and there are plenty of Irish people so you will feel at home. I've also met international students from all over the place and its great, the city is beautiful and the people are friendly.

hope that was helpful :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges.

Some solid advice from Nymeria there OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 twinkylinky

Nymeria thank you very much for ur response. its really helpful. i applied through the ucas already.. im just hoping to get my place. applied to university of Glasgow, uni of edinburgh and dundee.. i also applied to st andrews. from ur response sunds like a blast. i really hope i get it.. fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bubbles93

Hi all,

I have applied through UCAS to study in Scotland starting in September 2013, any idea how long it takes for all the Universities to get back with an answer? I have applied to Napier, Queen Margaret, Heriot-Watt, Stirling and West of Scotland for an honours BSc in Psychology. Also, it's my first degree course as I'm doing a PLC in Applied Psychology this year, should I apply to the SAAS before or after I've heard back from the Universities?

All help is greatly appreciated,

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi Bubbles, as far as I remember I heard back from UCAS about March or April with a conditional offer, and then I just had to achieve certain results in exams before it was confirmed. If you get an unconditional offer then you don't have to do anything. You should have login details to check your status online.
    I only applied to one University, so I'm not sure of the process if you have several choices. It maybe like the CAO where you only get offered your highest ranked place.....maybe someone else can give you advice on that. (Fingers crossed for Edinburgh, its a great place :-) )

As for SAAS, I think applications open in about May or June for that Septembers intake, you just do the online application, and they might ask you to send some things in the post. The first year application is the most complicated, after that you just need to renew it online every year.

Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Bubbles93

Great thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Nymeria thank you very much for ur response. its really helpful. i applied through the ucas already.. im just hoping to get my place. applied to university of Glasgow, uni of edinburgh and dundee.. i also applied to st andrews. from ur response sunds like a blast. i really hope i get it.. fingers crossed

I'm in Perth at the minute and as others have mentioned the reception you get as an Irish person is very positive, usually my gran's from Donegal or whatever.

I applied to Dundee, Edinburgh, and Glasgow and have offers from each, you can apply to have your fees paid and the cost of living is generally much more affordable here.

If you have your heart set on it go for St. Andrew's but from what I've heard you'll end up living outside it and commuting in because it's supposed to be very expensive ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Xylemxster

I am interested to know if there are any grants or other assistance available for an undergraduate student of nursing. I have a daughter who is hoping to attend university in Aberdeen.

Does any one have any thoughts?
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

I think Nymeria pretty much nailed it. Edinburgh is a great spot and cheaper then most to live in. I lived there for a while and loved it. Best of luck with it

Advertisement