Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new graduate initiative nursing

Options
  • 02-09-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, I've 2 weeks untill I qualify as a nurse and I'm being offered a two year contract, 1st year at 85% of a nurses wage, 2nd year at 95% of a nurses wage, but over the 2 years I must complete a level 9 with 3 module college course in order to justify being paid 100% of a nurse wage the 3rd year. I'm wondering can someone elaborate on this for me? Disheartened after 4 years of training that I must go back to college in order to stay with the hse.
    Regards, shaney1990

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not commenting on the grad nursing initiaitive - suggest you talk to the nurses union about that.

But in general, you can expect to keep studying at some level for most of your career. If you think that your intiial nursing education is all you'll ever need, then you've been sadly mislead. (Same applies for all registered professions, btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shaney1990

God your helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Its a disgrace if that is the case all reg nurses midwives should do these three modules aswell. Obviously nursing and midwifery involve continuous learning thats a given. Except existing reg nurses and midwives got to do it for 100% of the pay. Its a bloody disgrace

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

@carlara22, anonymous posts need to be approved before they appear, so please just post once and wait for it to appear.

carlara22 wrote: »
    Its a disgrace if that is the case all reg nurses midwives should do these three modules aswell. Obviously nursing and midwifery involve continuous learning thats a given. Except existing reg nurses and midwives got to do it for 100% of the pay. Its a bloody disgrace

Indeed - I tend to agree, and that's why I suggested that the OP should talk to his/her union. (I had a feeling that their official position is to boycott the initiative).

But the OP's post does not make me think that s/he sees continuous learning or needing to do further qualifications for promotions as a given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Don't do it op. The hse need to learn that nurses won't be bullied into accepting substandard wages. Where does it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shaney1990

Of course I understand nursing is a life long learning process, and I do of course wish to pursue further development, I'm the only personin my course to do phlphlebotomy and callulation next month....but, I feel that after 4 constant years that as newly qualified nurse we should be allowed work for some time to find what we want to do as regards postgrad/masters!!! Likewise the poor wage? I've begged stole and borrowed to complete this, I need this 2 years to repay my debts, and also a form of principle, no other discipline are required to do this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bec88

shaney1990 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've 2 weeks untill I qualify as a nurse and I'm being offered a two year contract, 1st year at 85% of a nurses wage, 2nd year at 95% of a nurses wage, but over the 2 years I must complete a level 9 with 3 module college course in order to justify being paid 100% of a nurse wage the 3rd year. I'm wondering can someone elaborate on this for me? Disheartened after 4 years of training that I must go back to college in order to stay with the hse.
    Regards, shaney1990

Shaney1990, i've just been told I have to take the 85% contract to remain in my current job. i have been employed for a year as an RPN. Unfortunately it isn't 95% in the second year its 90%. I haven't been told about having to do a course to progress on the pay scale but if we do have to do a course the HSE usually pays for you to undertake courses if u are employed with them. It is an unfortunate situation but if u want to gain experience then it seems to be the best option if u want to work in Ireland. agencies are currently paying the 85% to all recent graduates and u are not guaranteed the same benefits like set hours annual leave etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rs24

Hi,

I am in the same position as shaney1990.

The HSE/Government have stated that any nurse that leaves this graduate programme during the two years will be charged a fee for leaving. The fee would be for the educational modules included as part of the graduate program.

As this course is basically made up, not accredited by any university and not recognized outside of ROI, is it possible for the hse/government to chase students for the fee if they leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How much will you be paid? I'm aware of the idea behind the initiative, but I don't know the wages involved. Are we talking numbers like 16k a year here, or 24k a year? Because I'm sorry, but if it's 24k a year, it's pretty measly, but I think that's comparable to starting graduate wages in quite a few other sectors.

I would point out that in some careers this is just how it is. You serve your time first, a qualification just opens the door for you. If you did business of some sort and wanted to become an accountant, you'd have to work your ass off for buttons for the first 3 years, before being entitled to earn a "decent" wage and practice accountancy. Most people would do it through a grad programme in an accountancy firm....doing college at the same time for 3 years. Secondary teaching (and possibly primary) there's the whole HDip thing. It's just how it goes.

My 2 cents, for what they're worth - I know that you're aware that you will need to continuously learn, but I guess you need to realise that this is a new-ish system, and that nobody likes change. I'm not saying it's a right or wrong system - it's just different to what went before, and maybe you need to just accept that this is now how it is and that's it. You've got to weigh it up yourself - are you willing to go into the system (which isn't going to change) vs the rest of your options (whatever they are). Unfortunately nobody can solve this one except yourself. Good luck with it, this is life I'm afraid. :)

• Advertisement

Rs24 wrote: »
    The HSE/Government have stated that any nurse that leaves this graduate programme during the two years will be charged a fee for leaving. The fee would be for the educational modules included as part of the graduate program.

As this course is basically made up, not accredited by any university and not recognized outside of ROI, is it possible for the hse/government to chase students for the fee if they leave?

Yes, in the same way as any private sector employer can do the same for a course that they fund for you. The only proviso is that they must have told you about it before you did the course.

And they won't be chasing you: most likely it will come out of your final pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

To be honest the whole thing seems very fair to me
    You are still short of the desired qualifications that the HSE want .
    They have offered you a chance to earn money while you earn those qualifications ,but your salary will not be a fully qualified nurses salary until you earn the qualifications.

All employers get to set terms for qualifications and pay for their employees.
    If they are unfair then they will not get the right applicants and the market will force them to adjust.

I know HSE is a large employer of Nurses but they are certainly not the only employer ,if these terms are unsatisfactory then turn down the job and appply for a competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rs24

I refer u back to my original post. As u can see the government have designed this course as a substitute for the loss in wages graduate nurses will be subjected to. This has been highlighted quiet frequently in news and media.

This course will not be of any use outside of the hse given it not accredited by any university.

Also the hse continue to employ graduate nurses outside this programme where needed. However this is not widespread.

Also employees such as accountants who receive low wages while training receive a substantial increase (1.5x in some cases)on qualifying. This more than makes up for their loss in earning whilst in a training contract.
    However this is not the case for nurses as unlike accountants, they are not guaranteed employment post qualifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Rs24 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am in the same position as shaney1990.

where did it state this? what if the nurse takes up permanent job in she while on the grad scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

/old thread

Advertisement