Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying rattle, can anyone help?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

After much research, help from boardsies and joint help from my daughter with good hearing....rattle has now been identified but NOT rectified.

It is indeed a design issue regarding the rear brake cable which runs inside the top frame.
    There seems to be some internal device connected to this cable inside the frame, that over time begins to vibrate louder against the carbon frame, over rough roads.
    Due to the nature of this fault, it will be covered under warranty.
    After speaking with my LBS, it seems this can be a problem with other makes of bikes that have the cables running internally.
    My LBS have dealt with this issue before and will sort it for me.

Anyone else had this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Just a suggestion seeing as you say that it's noticeable when you hold the drops:

You will slightly stress the steerer in the headset. This will lift the compression ring slightly that holds down the top headset cartridge bearing. The bearing then rattles in the frame due to the minuscule gap.

It is solved by ensuring that the headset cover (the lower most spacer under stem on top of frame) sits slightly above the frame before preloading the bearings when tightening the top cap. This requires micro spacers or shims inside the headset cover. They are basically 1 1/8 inch washers about 0.25mm or 0.6mm thick.

Then, when you tighten down the top cap, before the stem bolts the spacers and cover squeeze down on the headset bearing to hold it down neatly. The compression ring sort of works a little loose without this pressure and thus rattle.

Try this before worrying about internal cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

lismore7 wrote: »
    After much research, help from boardsies and joint help from my daughter with good hearing....rattle has now been identified but NOT rectified.

It is indeed a design issue regarding the rear brake cable which runs inside the top frame.
    There seems to be some internal device connected to this cable inside the frame, that over time begins to vibrate louder against the carbon frame, over rough roads.
    Due to the nature of this fault, it will be covered under warranty.
    After speaking with my LBS, it seems this can be a problem with other makes of bikes that have the cables running internally.
    My LBS have dealt with this issue before and will sort it for me.

Anyone else had this issue?

Was your bike in or out of warranty?

jamesd wrote: »
    Was your bike in or out of warranty?

Only got the bike end of last year, so only had it 5 months

ashleey wrote: »
    Just a suggestion seeing as you say that it's noticeable when you hold the drops:

You will slightly stress the steerer in the headset. This will lift the compression ring slightly that holds down the top headset cartridge bearing. The bearing then rattles in the frame due to the minuscule gap.

It is solved by ensuring that the headset cover (the lower most spacer under stem on top of frame) sits slightly above the frame before preloading the bearings when tightening the top cap. This requires micro spacers or shims inside the headset cover. They are basically 1 1/8 inch washers about 0.25mm or 0.6mm thick.

Then, when you tighten down the top cap, before the stem bolts the spacers and cover squeeze down on the headset bearing to hold it down neatly. The compression ring sort of works a little loose without this pressure and thus rattle.

Try this before worrying about internal cables.

This does made sense to me. Just to correct an error, I may have stated that the rattle only happens when hands are on drops...I meant to say hoods. Hands on drops and tops, doesn't cause rattle.
    However that said, your suggestion is also a possiblity and as the bike is still under warranty, I'll mention this to the LBS, as they wil have the bits you mentioned.
    Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

You will be able to see yourself. Loosen top cap and then stem bolts. The headset cover needs to be slightly above the frame. You could lift everything off the steerer column also and check that this top cover when pushed down holds the bearing down

jamesd wrote: »

Your suggestion finally resolved the front rattle.
    I checked out the links you submitted and they highlighted the same problem and offered suggestions.

It was indeed the rear brake cable which runs inside the top of the carbon frame. It has some kind of connection inside the frame, which over time begins to rattle and gets gradually louder.
    I did what was suggested in yours links and that was to push the cabel at the front stem further into the frame until you hear a click! Which I did and low and behold....no more rattle...Took Ruby Cube out for a spin today and experienced 60ks of silent running....absolute heaven....
    However I'm unsure how long this fix will last and am dropping bike into LBS to have it perrminantly sorted, as it's still under warranty...

Thanks for your help "jamesd", you were right on the money :) and maybe it might be the same issue you have?

Advertisement