Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What size is considered a good sized brownie

Options
  • 16-09-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

My brother caught a 5 inch brown trout a week ago. Is this considered a good sized brown trout. It was from a lake around my region. Is this a sitty size(excuse my language) or would they be worth it to fish. But I also think try can get to a bigger size as I wasn't fishing for them properly.

Always tight lines😜

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Depends on the location to be honest, a 5 inch would be an average size on some mountain lakes etc. on somewhere like the Corrib, Sheelin etc. it would be tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Even on our small trout river 5 inches is small. Certainly too small to keep. Around here 9 to 11 inches is a reasonable brown trout and we are not renowned for our trout fisheries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Even on our small trout river 5 inches is small. Certainly too small to keep. Around here 9 to 11 inches is a reasonable brown trout and we are not renowned for our trout fisheries.

I wouldn't keep a fish less than 15 inches. 9 or 11 inches is a disgrace to be able to keep. That's hardly a mouthful

I wouldn't keep a fish less than 15 inches. 9 or 11 inches is a disgrace to be able to keep. That's hardly a mouthful

Firstly, I never keep any fish. Secondly, I said 9 to 11 were considered good sized fish here,, not that they could be kept - which they can't, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Firstly, I never keep any fish. Secondly, I said 9 to 11 were considered good sized fish here,, not that they could be kept - which they can't, by the way.

Backtracking again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Snowc wrote: »
    Backtracking again :rolleyes:

Maybe read my post again with out bias this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Come on now Srameen bias is my word!!! lol

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Come on now Srameen bias is my word!!! lol

True Dan. :)

What size would you consider a reasonable wild brown trout down your part of the world?
    Say, lake and river.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I fish a lot of places and do like to keep the odd fish, some of those places you'd be hard pushed to find a nine inch fish, even if you were electro fishing, other places where that's average and luckily a few places where a 15 inch fish is considered small.
    You can't say it's a disgrace to keep any fish that size anywhere, each place has it's own populations and you have to use some sense in the matter.
    Personally though, I think it's a disgrace for someone to keep fish over 15 inches as these would be classed as prime breeding stock in any water and not easily replaced, whereas if you remove a nine inch fish in a river then the chances are that there will quickly be another along to take its place fairly quickly.

To answer the OP's question, it depends on where you're fishing and what the average size if fish is. If you fish it for a while and catch a few then you'll start to learn what is big and what is small for the place.

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I fish a lot of places and do like to keep the odd fish, some of those places you'd be hard pushed to find a nine inch fish, even if you were electro fishing, other places where that's average and luckily a few places where a 15 inch fish is considered small.
    You can't say it's a disgrace to keep any fish that size anywhere, each place has it's own populations and you have to use some sense in the matter.
    Personally though, I think it's a disgrace for someone to keep fish over 15 inches as these would be classed as prime breeding stock in any water and not easily replaced, whereas if you remove a nine inch fish in a river then the chances are that there will quickly be another along to take its place fairly quickly.

To answer the OP's question, it depends on where you're fishing and what the average size if fish is. If you fish it for a while and catch a few then you'll start to learn what is big and what is small for the place.

Bw

Good post. I must say I always find the sporting ethic of not killing small fish "so they get a chance to grow bigger" quite odd because it doesn't make ecological sense and, IMO, that's what matters. On a lot of trout fisheries it would be frowned upon to keep a small fish, say a half pounder, but not a large breeding age fish with much more population potential and much more biomass.

Its one thing the coarse fish bye laws got right I think.

I don't keep any trout myself or any Salmonids for that matter. I do keep some roach etc for deadbait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

True Dan. :)

What size would you consider a reasonable wild brown trout down your part of the world?
    Say, lake and river.

Depends where you fishing, bigger trout in bigger lakes, smaller trout in smaller habitats..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Anything over a pound for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

The size limit, on my stretch of the Liffey anyway, is 9 inches but in a whole season the average size I'd snag is about 6/7. I don't keep fish aside from Rainbows the odd time, but I do think to myself every season that I'll keep one fish a season. Thing is that inevitably the one fish a season I catch on this stretch over 9 inches tends to be 1/2 pounds and I'm so happy at catching him I decide he's deserved to go back in.

Come to think of it, I haven't caught the 2014 edition of this fish yet.... :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I don't do much Game fishing anymore, but when I did, the only Brownie I'd keep was from the Cake shop on the way home. Catch and release for all Game and Coarse, and the only Sea fish I'd keep would be a few Macks

21/25

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

A good size brownie round these parts would be anything over 35cm on the lake, and 30cm on the river. My best fish this year was 62cm off the lake. I wouldn't dream of killing a fish that size, although there are many that would. The only trout I kill are the very odd one where the gill is bleeding heavily - not for several years now.
    I think a slot limit is the way forward, so for instance on Corrib you could keep fish between 30-35cm, or a variation of that. This would protect small fish from being targeted for the pot, and protect the larger breeding fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Boyne fisher

12 inches for me never eat any anyway only the odd one for a comp

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Zzippy wrote: »
    A good size brownie round these parts would be anything over 35cm on the lake, and 30cm on the river. My best fish this year was 62cm off the lake. I wouldn't dream of killing a fish that size, although there are many that would. The only trout I kill are the very odd one where the gill is bleeding heavily - not for several years now.
    I think a slot limit is the way forward, so for instance on Corrib you could keep fish between 30-35cm, or a variation of that. This would protect small fish from being targeted for the pot, and protect the larger breeding fish.

Excellent idea, we all too often hear how we must protect our small fish. for me its the big ones we must protect.
    Everything over 400mm should be returned without question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Boyne fisher

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Excellent idea, we all too often hear how we must protect our small fish. for me its the big ones we must protect.
    Everything over 400mm should be returned without question.

Exactly they are the ones that spawn i never keep any fish anyway

Advertisement