Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older Competition Age Group - Gymnastics in Ireland

Options
  • 14-09-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Artistic Gymnastics is a growing sport in Ireland and there have been many great changes and improvements in recent years. For example, the ongoing plans for the national training center!! And upgrading the levels structure. But I find that once you reach the age of 14/15 there isn't much left for you in the sport unless you are elite or becoming a coach.

Personally, I would still love to be competing (at 20 years old) but the current competition structure would place me against 13 year olds and up. Which is disheartening and not very encouraging. If there was an older age group e.g. over 16's/over 18's, it might encourage gymnasts to stay in the sport for longer which would support fantastic growth for gymnastics in Ireland.

I'm just wondering if there are other gymnasts/ex gymnasts who think they would have benefited from having older age groups in competitions? Or if there is anyone out there who would agree with this?

More adult gymnastics classes around the country would be great too!

Hopefully it's not just me who thinks this :)

SheC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I started adult classes in Trojan in 2013 and want to start competing. The closest thing I have found is the tumbling event at ISTO. It's only one apparatus though. My registration didn't work out this year but I'll be trying again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SheC

Cool, I'll have a look into that, it would be fun to compete again! Hopefully you can register this year too. Thanks for your reply

Advertisement