Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Bad News

Options
  • 12-09-2014 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

I've just heard a news bulletin where a young girl was killed in a supermarket car park. An earlier story today a bit more serious was about a farther who committed suicide and fluffed the killing of his daughter.

As serious as those stories in themselves they are utterly trivial in the grand scheme of things and I'm sick and tired of constantly hearing bad news on the radio and television. Of what interest would a person dying in a carpark in Louth be to a person living on Achill Island ?

Can't we just skip the news bulitins if the're no bad news today instead of scouring round the country for something horrific to dampen out day ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Reality check! Bad news sells papers.

Newspapers and magazines that are full of crime and general nastiness are simply giving people what they want, otherwise they wouldn't buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

coylemj wrote: »
    Reality check! Bad news sells papers.

Newspapers and magazines that are full of crime and general nastiness are simply giving people what they want, otherwise they wouldn't buy them.

In your rush to be so snipey in your comments you neglected to read the OP properly. I said news bulletins not newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

colossus-x wrote: »
    As serious as those stories in themselves they are utterly trivial in the grand scheme of things and I'm sick and tired of constantly hearing bad news on the radio and television. Of what interest would a person dying in a carpark in Louth be to a person living on Achill Island ?

If you were to hold this to be true then there would be no news. It is just as trivial that a new economic pact was signed between two countries compared with starvation, war and disease in some African countries.

If you were to hold this to be true then there would be no news. It is just as trivial that a new economic pact was signed between two countries compared with starvation, war and disease in some African countries.

No , I think there are degrees of trivializes , your examples are much less trivial than the one's I mentioned serving to, in fact, support my case.

Just because there are degrees it doesn't make something less trivial.
    What do you think should be covered that is not trivial?

• Advertisement

Just because there are degrees it doesn't make something less trivial.

What do you think should be covered that is not trivial?

Your really don't think I'm going to fall for that do you. If you want to take my OP as 'oh you just wan't that pick and choose what news you want to hear' then fine. Just say so and leave. You haven't engaged me in the point I was making which was that the types of news items I mentioned are quite upsetting and it's pointless to be hearing these types of things day in and day out. A good point you might make is to give me some reason to think I should hear these things day in and day out but instead you wish to pester me about degrees of triviality? Please ! I'm not interested !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Jasus, calm down!

News has varying degrees of severity and, it would have to be said, interest. You may not find some things of interest - others will.

So, if you have a difficulty to listening to a constant barrage of troubling information - turn off the news bulletins.

C

colossus-x wrote: »
    Your really don't think I'm going to fall for that do you. If you want to take my OP as 'oh you just wan't that pick and choose what news you want to hear' then fine. Just say so and leave. You haven't engaged me in the point I was making which was that the types of news items I mentioned are quite upsetting and it's pointless to be hearing these types of things day in and day out. A good point you might make is to give me some reason to think I should hear these things day in and day out but instead you wish to pester me about degrees of triviality? Please ! I'm not interested !

Thanks. Your comments are really helpful.
    What you actually said was of what interest is something that happens in Achill to someone living in Louth. It mentioned nothing of how upsetting your find this so called "trivial news".

Advertisement