Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArcheAge

Options
  • 28-06-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I heard some people talking about this on some podcasts, its like a sandbox type of game (after 30), apparently you can become a pirate go around in a ship and raid trade routes or just be a farmer and grow some turnips for the kids, or a high sea's trader and all that sort of stuff. You can even get arrested and put in prison and then you go to court and the judge/jury are actual players. Its been out a while in asia but its in alpha testing for the west.

Has anyone played it ? I tempted to try it out.

pirate ship battle stuff!

some jury duty

some housing stuff

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Watched a few streams for 20 mins or so a few weeks back looks decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ah dam steam sale i would have grabbed the 30quid option for it. Might try out in a week or so. It sounds really cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I applied for BETA but didn't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I kept one eye on it, but from far. In a way I am really interested and in a way I dont want to spoil to much for myself.
    Looks really interesting and proper full loot open world mmorpg, which takes away from traditional mmorpg route.

Its going to be free to play, so I am going to give it a go for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shaneoh

Beta isn't out yet, still in Alpha. I was not gonna shell out 134 euros to play Alpha!

Looks interesting alright, i've watched quite a few streams. Could be fun! I'll check it out when it is released or when I can finally get into it for free!

P.S another game to check out that looks interesting is Black Desert. (Korean games are doing well at the moment!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shaneoh wrote: »
    Beta isn't out yet, still in Alpha. I was not gonna shell out 134 euros to play Alpha!

Looks interesting alright, i've watched quite a few streams. Could be fun! I'll check it out when it is released or when I can finally get into it for free!

P.S another game to check out that looks interesting is Black Desert. (Korean games are doing well at the moment!)

Why are they charging that to play an alpha?

Why are they charging that to play an alpha?

It is the new thing to do now, you will get certain perks and in game currency and what not but the prices are crazy! And I know a lot of people that were on the forums paid it as well!

Me, for a game that is gonna be free to play, I may have paid 20 to get into alpha but 134 hell no!

I came across this english patch thingy for the russian version which is already out. Might try it out later

anyone picked up a beta access copy yet ? im tempted as im deathly sick with a throat infection and i fear i may die with out ever experiencing piracy in an online sea

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Hey, there's a Russian open beta currently going on. There's also a patch to make a client in English. From what I read on reddit there are quite a few guilds with English speaking people.
    This might suit those who don't to spend money on a game that is in beta.

• Advertisement

English patch on the Russian client looks like way too much effort!!

And I won't pay for beta access unless I win the lotto or something :P

In saying that the game looks like a lot of fun so I am looking forward to playing it!

Yup from what I've seen so far the game looks really fun, I liked the way you can steal things from people and go to jail for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

this game is awesome. playing for just two days and am starting to realise the massive scope of this game. so much in this game but the main selling points are;

1. deep trading system - you can make money doing trade runs between cities. the longer the trade route, the more the reward, but the risk increases as you venture into pirate and opposition faction areas (a long boat ride away). you can get ganked and have your trade goods stolen! this feature is a core of the game and ensures a number of things - 1. zones will always have people in them. there is always someone travelling somewhere, or gathering resources somewhere. world really feels alive, and 2. it's a source of pvp, you can be a dedicated pirate hunting unprepared traders or travel with a guild for protection and have large pvp battle on the way with other guilds.

2. ships. there is a vast ocean in the game that you can actually get lost in. you can craft ships and take them wherever you want. from small rowboats to massive galleons loaded out with cannon. use them to explore or pirate or trade. i can envisage massive fleet battles in the future. ships are governed by a realistic physics system, meaning you can ram other boats and capsize them, or pull along another ship and board them with your raiding party.

3. housing/farming - housing and farming are in game, very extensive, and not instanced! your home and farm are actually in the world. the only downside is that spaces are limited so not everyone will be able to get one. but the world is one of the biggest i've ever seen in an MMO so you should be able to get at least a small farm somewhere.

there's a whole load of other cool stuff (like guild territories and castle sieges!) that i'll post as i play through the game. apart from that, the questing is pretty dull and the combat is nothing special but the 3 things above more than make up for that. pretty sure you can even avoid questing altogether if you want.

Is it out yet. I was looking on steam, it says its out 22 July but its still a pre order ??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Beta (or maybe Alpha) opened in July i think, with the launch date later this year.

I have been playing it. Its not bad. There really is alot to it. The character creation is ok. But you can only create the face. I am only level 14 at the moment just going through the motions on missions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is it standard kill/fetch quests? Or is there some variety?

Kiith wrote: »
    Is it standard kill/fetch quests? Or is there some variety?

At this moment its very very standard. Some quests you literally obtain the quest, run across the street and open a box and your done.

As i said i am only level 15 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I got a beta key but have yet to play:P. First of all, its a massive download (22.5 gig) - for those of us on rural BB a challenge all in itself (and i am on a monthly cap of 70 gig :().
    First impressions in the 5 minutes I get to play before it crashes (display driver has stopped) - graphics a bit too comic-y for my liking :P. And then it crashes lol. We'll see if the driver update helps.
    Nope.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

morgana wrote: »
    I got a beta key but have yet to play:P. First of all, its a massive download (22.5 gig) - for those of us on rural BB a challenge all in itself (and i am on a monthly cap of 70 gig :().
    First impressions in the 5 minutes I get to play before it crashes (display driver has stopped) - graphics a bit too comic-y for my liking :P. And then it crashes lol. We'll see if the driver update helps.
    Nope.

70 gigs? Ouch :-/

Was tempted to get it off steam but I've enough to be playing :-D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ChalyIE

So the graphics are like in Wildstar?

Its not too bad. I managed to make it to level 25 , i found a great mining area in the mountains and pretty much grind out 2 levels in mining were i also made alot of money.
    The next day the word was out were this mining area was and it was over run by a Spanish clan that were trying hound anybody else who was trying to mine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Prepare to build farms, guys.
    And you better get in game fast, since the space is very limited.

I watched the open beta in Russia (and participated in it a bit) - all spaces were taken on the main server within 1-2 days. They are being sold at good prices now (there are more servers though) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ChalyIE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

So explain to me how the farms etc works. Its just first come first serve? Is there a player cap per server or what?

You don't necessary have to build farms, you can set them up anywhere though they won't be protected but on a bright side you won't have to pay tax for your farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

having a blast in this game. been playing all week without doing any quests, just a bit of trading, ninja farming and exploring.

If you get it on steam the cheapist option, can u play when ever you want or is it just like beta weekends ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Got a beta invite for this Thursday. Will give it a shot and see..

Advertisement