Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White tailed Sea Eagles

Options
  • 29-03-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Was impressed how easy they were to find in kerry this week. Along the Kerry way from caherdaniel to Cahirciveen I encountered seven altogether. Even photographed with iphone. got very close to them they're pretty curious as to what you're doing alone on a mountainside. Some were grappling with each other which is a good sign that they're about to breed. amazing to see them where they should be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This kind of weather which gives rise to strong thermals is ideal for spotting soaring raptors:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I was lucky to see these beautiful birds in Norway, a good few years ago. I must head to Kerry soon. I may have caught a glimpse of one near Wicklow Head, about two years ago but it was never confirmed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wouldn't mind seeing those pics!

Be sure to report the sightings on http://www.goldeneagle.ie/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

yep, its on there with the photo and irishbirding.com also. taken with iphone into an a glaring blue sky so not great. But suffice to say at one point I could make out on of the eagles beak and face he was so low. In fACT JUST CHECKED THE SITE. Another guy spotted two at Derrynane a couple of days later and got some better shots. I picked 1 up again outside Waterville near the Nage summit. At one stage you could have watched them whilst having a pint at the Scarriff Inn. i spoke to the guy living next the pub, he says he sees them often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=388777784530897

re-release of errant Sea Eagle "Eddie" after a few months in rehab recovering from a broken wing in Killarney Nat Park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

A bit of an old thread, but probably the most appropriate place for this: One of the WTSE chicks that fledged from Mountshannon last year was recently found dead in Tipperary - shot with a shotgun, and a long drawn out death apparently.

http://www.ahg.gov.ie/en/PressReleases/2014/March2014PressReleases/htmltext,17686,en.html
    One of the first two White-tailed Eagles to fledge successfully from a nest in Co. Clare in 2013 has been found dead in Tipperary. The young male eagle was reared by a pair of White-tailed Eagles at a nest on Lough Derg, near Mountshannon, Co. Clare and successfully flew from the nest in July 2013 along with its sibling. After a few months of care by its parents both young eagles began to disperse more widely and become independent of their parents. The last confirmed sighting was of one of the two juveniles near Dromineer, Co. Tipperary, on the east shore of Lough Derg in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Saw it rumoured on the GET page yesterday alright, was hoping that's all it was. :(

https://twitter.com/JimmyDeenihanTD/status/441243064326033408

Bh-cOq1CEAAXnMz.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

A bit of an old thread, but probably the most appropriate place for this: One of the WTSE chicks that fledged from Mountshannon last year was recently found dead in Tipperary - shot with a shotgun, and a long drawn out death apparently.

http://www.ahg.gov.ie/en/PressReleases/2014/March2014PressReleases/htmltext,17686,en.html
    :eek:
    Gutted.......................
    One of the first Golden eagle chicks hatched in Ireland (Conall)was killed, now one of the first Sea Eagle chicks hatched in Ireland is brutally shot. Some kip of a Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Saw this over on broadsheet, came to see was anything here. absolute disgrace but sadly I doubt there is any hope of finding the sick individual who did this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I dont get upset or angry easily but that has depressed me. Truly shocking. I feel sorry for all those who work so hard to re-introduce these fabulous animals back into the wilds of our countryside. What they must feel about such news is a kin to a family berevement im sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

The people of Mountshannon appear to have built up a great appreciation for their local pair and the chicks that fledged last year, so I'm sure they'll be fairly shocked and angry too.

You'd think with all the publicity surrounding the WTSE's at Lough Derg that the people around the lake would be familiar with them and realise that they aren't a threat to lambs or anything else. That being said, it just takes one scumbag to cause a lot of damage and cruelty unfortunately.

The people of Mountshannon appear to have built up a great appreciation for their local pair and the chicks that fledged last year, so I'm sure they'll be fairly shocked and angry too.

You'd think with all the publicity surrounding the WTSE's at Lough Derg that the people around the lake would be familiar with them and realise that they aren't a threat to lambs or anything else. That being said, it just takes one scumbag to cause a lot of damage and cruelty unfortunately.
    Yes thats' key here. Gave so much joy to so many but destroyed by one idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Really saddened by the news of the loss of the Mountshannon WTE . Just another example of the stupid and ignorant mindset of those out there who consider any raptor as fair game ! The sooner perpetrators of such mindless persecution are found and prosecuted the better - although I wouldn't be holding my breath for an outcome anytime soon.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really is sickening news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

olly_mac wrote: »
    I was lucky to see these beautiful birds in Norway, a good few years ago. I must head to Kerry soon. I may have caught a glimpse of one near Wicklow Head, about two years ago but it was never confirmed.

good chance you saw one,i saw one in Kilcoole over a year ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I was down in Mountshannon for a few days last summer when the two chicks were still in the nest. There was a great buzz about the place and new people were constantly arriving at the harbour to have a look through the telescopes.
    And now one callous scumbag ruins it. I hope the Gardai take this investigation seriously, and don't just wait for the phone to ring. They will have the name and address of every shotgun owner in the area. Even though the bird was shot a few weeks ago, we can still work out roughly where it was shot.

The last reported sighting of the two healthy fledglings together was at Dromineer in January, which is just 15 Km from the nest, directly across the lake on the eastern shore. The corpse was apparently found only about 20 Km north of Dromineer; they are saying on the lakeshore in "Ballinderry" townland which puts it in the vicinity of Kilgarvan Harbour/Quay here.

The whole range is a small enough stretch of lakeshore. And most likely the bird hardly moved at all after it was shot. The lakeshore land around Dromineer to Kilgarvan is mostly either farmland or with monstrous holiday houses having private access roads and private jetties. You need permission from the owner to shoot on private land. To get a shotgun license you need to specify what land you have permission to shoot on. If there is a gun club in the area, the club will generally know who is shooting in the area, whether the shooters are in the club or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

:eek:
    Gutted.......................
    One of the first Golden eagle chicks hatched in Ireland (Conall)was killed, now one of the first Sea Eagle chicks hatched in Ireland is brutally shot. Some kip of a Country.

Nothing wrong the country, it's some of the inhabitants that are the problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just heard it on the news, sickened

not even a year old and this happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong the country, it's some of the inhabitants that are the problem....

Half the Golden Eagles released are dead. Numerous Sea Eagles poisoned/shot. Barely anything been done in the Country to protect endangered species like Red Grouse, Corncrake, Curlew etc.

Raised bogs SAC's are being cut to death by turfcutters, while Gardaí sit idly by. The Minister rewards the turfcutters for their criminal damage by de-designating a raft of NHA, opening them up for turfcutting.

In Countries like Spain they have spent 40 million euros on Spanish lynx conservation in the last few years. In Ireland less than 250,000 spent by government per year on Corncrake conservation.

Place is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

recedite wrote: »
    And now one callous scumbag ruins it. I hope the Gardai take this investigation seriously, and don't just wait for the phone to ring. They will have the name and address of every shotgun owner in the area. Even though the bird was shot a few weeks ago, we can still work out roughly where it was shot.

The whole range is a small enough stretch of lakeshore. And most likely the bird hardly moved at all after it was shot. The lakeshore land around Dromineer to Kilgarvan is mostly either farmland or with monstrous holiday houses having private access roads and private jetties. You need permission from the owner to shoot on private land. To get a shotgun license you need to specify what land you have permission to shoot on. If there is a gun club in the area, the club will generally know who is shooting in the area, whether the shooters are in the club or not.

This is where investigations need to concentrate - one would also have to be fearfull too for the second bird if they were still hanging out together:( I'm absolutely stunned be this and didn't see it coming since the parent birds and other individuals have found this area to their liking, successfully bred and appeared safe and sound for the last few years. I'm glad to see that the NARGC have come out with a strong statement condemning this killing. As a hunter and gun owner myself I'm disgusted that a handful of wildlife criminals in this country have by their actions dragged the good name of the vast majority of gun licence owners through the mud. It is in the interests of the local gun clubs to now co-operate with this inquiry as until the culprit is found there is likely to be delays and possible refusals of new licences and renewals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really is sickening news.

The violent method through which this beautiful young bird was destroyed was beyond belief.

As there is now just one young WTE in Ireland - and the parent couple - the rate of the reintroduction is seriously impacted. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/one-of-only-two-irish-bred-white-tailed-eagles-shot-and-killed-1.1713647

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there any point in continuing with these projects??

fryup wrote: »

Of course there is! We'll never change attitudes if we don't fight through this. Giving up now is a bigger waste than continuing on.

Also for all intents and purposes the Red Kite reintroductions have been successful, though not without incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

fryup wrote: »

The projects are worthwhile.

The only thing that should not continuing is the looking the other way type behaviour that seems to be going on when it comes to catching and sentencing people for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

This day and age I'm not shocked or surprised by it.
    Individual won't be caught and will continue to do so in years to come with more fledglings.
    I've said it before and say it again IMO it's one culprit.
    Enough said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's such a cruel and senseless act. There is something about reintroducing a species which really captures the imagination - it caught my attention anyway and I'm no birdwatcher. Very sad to think of any creature suffering what seems to have been a slow and painful death at the hands of a person who probably gave it no more than a seconds thought.

Until someone is prosecuted and receives a severe penalty these killings are likely to continue. A message needs to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Until someone is prosecuted and receives a severe penalty these killings are likely to continue. A message needs to go out.

Don't hold your breath. Very hard to bring a successful prosecution. Unless there are witnesses whose testimony is rock solid, or the culprit confesses, he'll get away with it. And even if there is a successful prosecution, our judiciary have a bad record when it comes to serious sentencing for wildlife crimes.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are there any records of successful prosecutions in any of the other recent shooting / poisoning cases?

I think there's a good chance that this case will be pursued and a culprit found. Chances are he's boasted about it. If the economics of the argument are brought into play, it will strike with someone to do the right thing and name him. Mountshannon did well on these birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

My own opinion is that a reward should be offered for information that leads to a successful conviction.

Advertisement