Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any comeback here?

Options
  • 25-06-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'll keep it short and sweet.

a few yrs ago my company did away with overtime pay and time in lieu but still expected the overtime done.

over the course of about 10 months 2-3 yrs ago I had 280 hrs of unpaid overtime. I was told that in my contract a reasonable amount of overtime is expected by every employee when/if needed.

Is this legal??

I still do 4-6 hrs per week unpaid for time to time but not as much as before aswell as regular meetings and training outside of working hours.

Can my employers demand this of me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes they can demand it, provided that:

1) Your overall hourly rate when all hours are counted is greater than the minimum wage, and
    2) Hour hours of work per week don't exceed 48 on average.

There are lots of salaried jobs where work outside of regular hours is required, for no extra compensation. This is because the compensation is the salary itself.

Advertisement