Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being made Part Time - I need help to understand entitlements!

Options
  • 22-06-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,
    I'm a single mam (13yr old kid), I drive from KK to Dublin daily for work and have just been moved to part time.

I earn roughly 14 an hour (before tax) and will be working 20 hrs a week.

I'm just wondering will I qualify for any assistance such as rent allowance (530pm rent) or FIS or both?

Is it worth my while continuing the commute for PT wages?

Full time I was spending 120 on diesel, 30 pw parking and 60e pw for my son to travel to school cos I couldn't drive him!

Am a little overwhelmed so any advice would be so much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you work the 20 hours over five days?

If you work three days or less you are entitled to some benefits, but if you work four or more you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dory2014

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you work the 20 hours over five days?

If you work three days or less you are entitled to some benefits, but if you work four or more you are not.

It will be over 3 days as far as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I believe that you may be eligible for Rent Allowance, since you work less than 30 hours/week - provided you are paying less than the rent-cap for your area.

Am moving this to State Benefits (from Work and Jobs) hopefully the people there know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I think you will be better off on FIS than claiming casual jobseekers. I think you are within the limits to apply for rent allowance..

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Maximum-Rent-Limits-by-County.aspx

Advertisement