Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

police entitlements

Options
  • 02-01-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭

I was surprised recently to see 2 Gardai dealing with a car in a handicapped car parking bay at a shop .

It seemed to me that the car was on private property (belonging to the shop) and I am sure it was not the shop that called them out.

Are the Gardai within their rights to do this?

I don't know if it has any bearing but the Gardai also returned to an unmarked car after their discussion with the driver (whose exit from the shop they had waited for)

By the way ,in this particular shop I can see that the handicapped bays have been used by all and sundry over a long period and I doubt there have been any complaints (although I have never enquired)

To avoid misunderstanding I never use those bays personally.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

amandstu wrote: »
    Are the Gardai within their rights to do this?

Yes, they are within their rights to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks .

It was just the first time I'd seen it and the fact it was on private property that surprised me .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

I believe that if the disabled parking space in required by law then it can be enforced by the Garda.

I don't think it ever matters what vehicle a Garda is driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Private property can be a public place for the purposes of the road traffic act.

Advertisement