Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auto gearbox on Megane not going into 4th

Options
  • 07-06-2013 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭

Posted this before but dozily in the Soccer section:pac: hopefully better answers here ;) anyway no idea what happened there's no warning lights at all could it be low gearbox fluid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Posted this before but dozily in the Soccer section:pac: hopefully better answers here ;) anyway no idea what happened there's no warning lights at all could it be low gearbox fluid?

First thing I would do is do a gearbox fluid change. You might just get lucky! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

What did the guys in the soccer section think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Wheelnut wrote: »

They put it on YLYL :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Gave out for supporting foreign cars :(

They put it on YLYL :pac:

Actually that was me :D

• Advertisement

Actually that was me :D

So it was! :D

So it was! :D

Had one eye on the tv the other on boards and on my threads soccer was above motors and I fecked up :cool:

Had one eye on the tv the other on boards and on my threads soccer was above motors and I fecked up :cool:

And to make it look less foolish you put it in ylyl and made a laugh out of yourself

I see what you did there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

I had an 04 one of those and it would "pop" out of 4th. I rang round and decided it was time to trade it in.

A fluid flush and change would be a good first step. Nothing is sealed for life, unless you want the component's life to be short.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

@Talaghtmick: Sorry for sending your thread off on a tangent!

Yes it's worth checking the fluid or changing it, it might cure the problem but if it fails it will be a lot cheaper than any other "test".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

@Talaghtmick: Sorry for sending your thread off on a tangent!

Yes it's worth checking the fluid or changing it, it might cure the problem but if it fails it will be a lot cheaper than any other "test".

The conversation i had with mechanics was along the lines that they all go around 100k kms, and that it might just be a solanoid, but then it might be something else, and they were less than enthusiastic about changing it.

I was just looking for an excuse to get rid of the car. i always felt that the 1.6L motor was ill matched and that the tranny spun too much and always felt like it was rev happy.

And a 4 speed auto which needs to rev like hell is just grim to drive. using the +/- shift option, I could make it a bit smoother, but, in general, a horrible transmission.

I went back to three pedals as I was scarred by the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

ATF (automatic transmission fluid) can cause all kinds of issues when it get old.
    I'd drain and fill, if that doesn't help then drop pan.

Advertisement