Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap Cars: They're just sh!te.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Crap in 1975 meant they rusted

Crap in 2012 means they have hard plastics and long warranties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

porsche959 wrote: »
    So, the Japanese make crap cars? Are we in 1975?

I think you're confussing reliable with a nice car that I you'd want to own!

I'm not arguing relability, I'll give the japs that. I just never want to be in a Jap car again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

190E2.516 wrote: »
    of course jap cars are scrap. jap cars are for people who cant afford to buy and run german cars

They are cars for people who want to get from A to B, want reliability, and don't want to spend large portions of their income on transport. Which is most of the car-buying population.

Personally I am fortunate enough not to have a lengthy daily commute, but If I did, and I speak as a confirmed car buff, I wouldn't dream of buying anything apart from Japanese as my daily driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Saab Ed wrote: »

I'm not arguing relability, I'll give the japs that. I just never what to be in a Jap car again.

Well, have you ever driven an MX-5?

... you don't reckon the fluence is a cheap and nasty crate of sh1t though Ed? I'm genuinely puzzled.

• Advertisement

They are cars for people who want to get from A to B, want reliability, and don't want to spend large portions of their income on transport. Which is most of the car-buying population.

So is it fair to say we agree then!

My entire argument is your point. They're for people who just want transport and dont really care for something just a touch better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

So, the Japanese make crap cars? Are we in 1975?

I'm not arguing relability, I'll give the japs that. I just never what to be in a Jap car again.

Yeah yeah, say that again when you've driven a car from Japan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I just never what to be in a Jap car again.

Not even a GT-R?:D

Well, have you ever driven an MX-5?

Great drive .....with cheap and nasty plastics and road nosie that Helen Keller could hear.

Its a fair point though. A MX-5 is an excellent car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

I just never what to be in a Jap car again.

what a riddiculous thing to say, particularly from an (i asume) motoring/ car enthusiast.

i am the biggest "Jap scrap" fan you will find, but that doesn't mean i dont have a great appreciation for other marques.

you demonstrating epic proportions of narrowmindedness. (did i just invent a word?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

This thread is making me want an RX-7 or Supra :(

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    This thread is making me want an RX-7 or Supra :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhWiN_467S-FKKUU0mxFA8cee7-Q8AI80HryplzMd-BvJ1moqxLw

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Cheap come back if you dont mind me saying. I like a nice car, my own car is 20 years old though. Fcuk all snobbery about that.

But back to the main point. You cant just decide that a Nissan is not a Nissan because its not built and designed in Japan. Its a Nissan, its Japanese. Its design philosophy, its very core is the staple of what the brand is. A Jap car built in France, lets say, is way behind a French car for comfort and design. Now is that the fault of France or Japan?

Neither, None of the design, technical or visual, of the Qashqai had anything to do with Nissan Japan or Renault.

A version of the Qashqai is sold in Japan(under a different name) but is uses completely different trim, spec and engines to what we get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You cant just decide that a Nissan is not a Nissan because its not built and designed in Japan. Its a Nissan, its Japanese.
    So if a car is not built or designed from a country, it can be still from there?

Hrm. Can we claim Ferrari are Irish, then? :pac:

the_syco wrote: »
    So if a car is not built or designed from a country, it can be still from there?

Hrm. Can we claim Ferrari are Irish, then? :pac:

Not unless they've started designing them in Kildare and making them in Galway :p

Regret making this thread yet?

Oh and go drive a Nissan President. :)

CianRyan wrote: »
    Regret making this thread yet?

Not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I would

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So many things to say bout the op post but too angry and annoyed to reply to such ****e
    Il start with this

Your judgin a quasqai to be representing all jap cars
    Ha good one next joke mate

I worked as mechanic in Toyota for 3 years and when I left was in a different job working on other models European mostly and nearly begged to go back to jap
    Found the gearboxes in European and ford cars to be too heavy and **** easy to break
    As for comfort I may agree that some German made cars are more comfortable but can't argue with a jap engine and the reliability of a jap car
    I know this is boy racer talk but look at the ae86 corolla
    Tho drivin by a lot of idiots givin them a bad rep they are still on the roads and bein nct'd and perfect to drive
    How many golfs of that year are as popular?
    I just think its a pointless thread to make

So many things to say bout the op post but too angry and annoyed to reply to such ****e
    Il start with this

Your judgin a quasqai to be representing all jap cars
    Ha good one next joke mate

I worked as mechanic in Toyota for 3 years and when I left was in a different job working on other models European mostly and nearly begged to go back to jap
    Found the gearboxes in European and ford cars to be too heavy and **** easy to break
    As for comfort I may agree that some German made cars are more comfortable but can't argue with a jap engine and the reliability of a jap car
    I know this is boy racer talk but look at the ae86 corolla
    Tho drivin by a lot of idiots givin them a bad rep they are still on the roads and bein nct'd and perfect to drive
    How many golfs of that year are as popular?
    I just think its a pointless thread to make

That's probably a bad example to be fair.

German cars from that era were actually as good as they think they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

To say all Japanese cars are crap proves one thing. That the op doesn't have a clue about cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Paparazzo wrote: »
    To say all Japanese cars are crap proves one thing. That the op doesn't have a clue about cars.

x2 :)

you just said what i was trying to find the words for!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There are many jap cars on my want to own / drive list. The RX8, MX5, accord Euro R, R35 GT-R....

The interior on late 90s / early 00s jap cars were horrific but I think a lot of the manufacturers have gotten their act together.

Wouldnt mind a spin in a 2012 paddy spec Corolla / Accord to see what they are like

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Europeans have made their fair share of hum dingers too:
    p_Renault%20Fluence%20static%201.jpg

car_photo_209510_7.jpg

seat.toledo.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

French cars are equally crap but Asian cars just do not fit in over here, they are stripped down to the bone and what sells in Ireland is really bottom of the barrel stuff. I have been in Toyota's in Thailand and Malaysia and they are specc'd out much better than their Irish cousins. Toyota are a bland car and are aimed at a 50 something who is happy to poodle along at 60km/h, plus they have a huge advertising presence here and especially popular with rural dwellers due to their "mythical" reliability when truth be told they fold like a coke can.

VW, BMW and a few American badges are the only types I'd ever drive. I drove a Toyota Camry in Australia, wasn't sure if it was a car or a donkey I was driving.

Stinicker wrote: »
    French cars are equally crap but Asian cars just do not fit in over here, they are stripped down to the bone and what sells in Ireland is really bottom of the barrel stuff. I have been in Toyota's in Thailand and Malaysia and they are specc'd out much better than their Irish cousins. Toyota are a bland car and are aimed at a 50 something who is happy to poodle along at 60km/h, plus they have a huge advertising presence here and especially popular with rural dwellers due to their "mythical" reliability when truth be told they fold like a coke can.

VW, BMW and a few American badges are the only types I'd ever drive. I drove a Toyota Camry in Australia, wasn't sure if it was a car or a donkey I was driving.

Which American cars would you drive?

And there we have it, American build quality has surpassed the Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stripped down cars are as a result of our VRT system.

You should sit in a few 6 or 7 year old Audi A3/A4s so. Now they were sparcly equipped, most of their owners only dreamed of things like air con, rear electric windows or a multi-function steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Toyota is Aimed at 50 something to drive at 60km/h
    Ever drive a supra? Ae86 twin cam turbo?
    Gt4 celica?

• Advertisement

Just thinking, why hasn't anyone mentioned Lexus?
    Tell me they can't make a decent car, go on. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement