Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jap Cars: They're just sh!te.

• 01-07-2012 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I've had the misfortune to have driven a Jap car this week and I have to say, its just rubbish. And it got me thinking, all of the Jappo crap that I've driven recently is just muck. The plastics are God awful, the driving postion is for someone with arms longer than their legs and the blandness is criminal. Now I know they're supposed to be reliable but really, lifes too short for this mulch.

Why, you might ask , I'm I ranting about this now. Well I've just finished a 3 hour drive in one of these crap boxes ( Nissan if you must know) and it was some ordeal. My back is shot to bits, my ears are still ringing after what seemed like a CIA style interrogation by noise and I felt half way between a nun and a scumbag driving the pile of dung. Every one else on the road driving a jap box seems to have either settled for their lot or they look like they're about to rob you.

I can safely say that Jap stuff is now firmly behind the Korean boxes that they pass off as cars, and that says a lot.

Rant over :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What model was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What model was it?

A cash cow......dung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I've had the misfortune to have driven a Jap car this week and I have to say, its just rubbish. And it got me thinking, all of the Jappo crap that I've driven recently is just muck. The plastics are God awful, the driving postion is for someone with arms longer than their legs and the blandness is criminal. Now I know they're supposed to be reliable but really, lifes too short for this mulch.

Why, you might ask , I'm I ranting about this now. Well I've just finished a 3 hour drive in one of these crap boxes ( Nissan if you must know) and it was some ordeal. My back is shot to bits, my ears are still ringing after what seemed like a CIA style interrogation by noise and I felt half way between a nun and a scumbag driving the pile of dung. Every one else on the road driving a jap box seems to have either settled for their lot or they look like they're about to rob you.

I can safely say that Jap stuff is now firmly behind the Korean boxes that they pass off as cars, and that says a lot.

Rant over :D

Got my popcorn ready, this should be good! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

You're in for some abuse now Ed! All the Jap Scrap fans on here are gonna be onto you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Had the Primera P12 for 6 years and have to say it was the most reliable car I ever had...only 1 wheel bearing to replace in all that time...then again I was the only owner.
    Pretty comfortable as well but not as comfortable as a 5 series..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Imo the ultimate boring/tacky plastic jap car was the 1998-2001 corolla, such a boring car and made from matchsticks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Where is the Dr ?

Sure a qashqai is French and built in Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If you were actually talking about a Japanese car I might get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I drove a Corsa a few times, it rolls a lot, can't handle moving slowly in second without shuddering like a parkinsons patient, the driving position was all wrong for me, everytime I went over a speed bump I had to readjust the rear view mirror.
    To make it all worse, the owner kept trying to make up for the ****e diesel engine by talking about the turbo kicking in at 3.5k RPM.

From this, I have decided that every German car is ****.

EDIT: Was going to bring up Renault but I decided if made my point anyway, then I rembered I don't like my dad's Megane.
    Well, all French cars must be **** too.

• Advertisement

Sure a qashqai is French and built in Sunderland.

They're all dung. I drove a Toyota something or other during the week and it was worse. How in the name of God can people put up with driving this motoring equivalent of old toast, nevermind spend their money on one.

CianRyan wrote: »
    I drove a Corsa a few times, it rolls a lot, can't handle moving slowly in second without shuddering like a parkinsons patient, the driving position was all wrong for me, everytime I went over a speed bump I had to readjust the rear view mirror.
    To make it all worse, the owner kept trying to make up for the ****e diesel engine by talking about the turbo kicking in at 3.5k RPM.

Don't judge all German cars on a ****ty opel corsa!

If you were actually talking about a Japanese car I might get involved.

Are Nissan not from Japan! Last time I looked they were.

And if you're using the logic that I think you're using then Yaris is'nt from Japan, a Civic is'nt from Japan and a Micra is'nt from Japan. When did we decide that VW was Mexican!

gollywog wrote: »

Don't judge all Japanese/French cars on a Qashqai. ;)

Better to judge them by a Pixo (made in India) and a C-Class (made in South Africa, India and Mexico to name but a few) :D

PS - I have no gripe with German cars ;)

gollywog wrote: »

I'm not judging them man! I had a Honda Civic two cars ago, thing wouldn't die! And I did my living best to kill it! Wish my car now was as hassle free.... And cough cough, its German, cough! :p

And Japanese cars were always known for their quality interiors, great seats and low road noise.

Seriously, what were you expecting?

Seriously, what were you expecting?

Just for it not to be so bad.

Is'nt a good seat, a half decent place to be in and the exclusion of severe road noise a prerequisite for just about anything these days. Is it that much to expect. If I want crap transport the I'll take the bus ( considerably quieter I might add )

So you won't be buying one then?

Are Nissan not from Japan! Last time I looked they were.

And if you're using the logic that I think you're using then Yaris is'nt from Japan, a Civic is'nt from Japan and a Micra is'nt from Japan. When did we decide that VW was Mexican!

The VW's we get here are not mexican, they are German(most of them anyway).

The Nissans we get here are not Japanese, they are mostly British designed and built using Many parts/design from Renault.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of most 'Japanese' cars that we get in Europe but for the most part they bare very little resemblance to the cars/models that are actually produced by Nissan Japan, or even Nissan US.

If you are saying that they aren't as solid feeling or as well equipped as some German or whatever cars, then of course they aren't, they aren't meant to be, they are aimed at a different market.

I think there is a hint of brand snobbery(or perhaps snobbery in general) about your comments.

• Advertisement

So you won't be buying one then?

:D

Well my point was not to bash an entire nation's car catalog based on one dodgy model.
    Germans have mental M and AMG cars, Japan have the GTR, the Evo, STI, the French have they Veyron(or donna give that one to Germany?). Etc...

I know I slag off BMWs a fair bit on here but I've never bad mouthed them, I definitely wouldn't go as far as to say a country can't make decent cars.
    And I just picked German cars because we Irish seem to get serious boners over BMWs and Audis. :)

Well my point was not to bash an entire nation's car catalog based on one dodgy model.
    Germans have mental M and AMG cars, Japan have the GTR, the Evo, STI, the French have they Veyron(or donna give that one to Germany?). Etc...

I know I slag off BMWs a fair bit on here but I've never bad mouthed them, I definitely wouldn't go as far as to say a country can't make decent cars.
    And I just picked German cars because we Irish seem to get serious boners over BMWs and Audis. :)

Even though I like my car alot, as soon as i have my new job and money is more plentiful, its a gti for me, just love those cars.... Fcuk that's German too!

Sure if you want a hot hatch buy a new model STI. :D

I think there is a hind of brand snobbery(or perhaps snobbery in general) about your comments.

Cheap come back if you dont mind me saying. I like a nice car, my own car is 20 years old though. Fcuk all snobbery about that.

But back to the main point. You cant just decide that a Nissan is not a Nissan because its not built and designed in Japan. Its a Nissan, its Japanese. Its design philosophy, its very core is the staple of what the brand is. A Jap car built in France, lets say, is way behind a French car for comfort and design. Now is that the fault of France or Japan?

Cheap come back if you dont mind me saying. I like a nice car, my own car is 20 years old though. Fcuk all snobbery about that.

But back to the main point. You cant just decide that a Nissan is not a Nissan because its not built and designed in Japan. Its a Nissan, its Japanese. Its design philosophy, its very core is the staple of what the brand is. A Jap car built in France, lets say, is way behind a French car for comfort and design. Now is that the fault of France or Japan?

Neither as they are designed in the UK :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 190E2.516

of course jap cars are scrap. jap cars are for people who cant afford to buy and run german cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

So, the Japanese make crap cars? Are we in 1975?

Sure if you want a hot hatch buy a new model STI. :D

Ha ha no thanks! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

I think there is a hind of brand snobbery(or perhaps snobbery in general) about your comments.

i would agree.

LOL at a thread title that is based solely on matter of opinion, there can be no winners or losers there. but seeing as we're talking on opinions, in mine, Nissan or at least the Nissans available to us here in Ireland, havn't been "Japanese" in spirit for at least 10-15 years.

at the moment im driving a little 98 Starlet and i love how there is very little sound insulation and how you can hear every little twitch and squirm the car makes, i love the whole "Japanese" air to it.

I dislike VAG's for being over electronic, over sound insulated, over on board computer, over user of soft touch dashboard materials. your so disconnected from the "art" of driving i find it no fun, i may aswell be playing a playstation game. And the last thing you want is to feel disconnected from the driving experience, we don't want concentration lapsing :)

Crap in 1975 meant they rusted

Crap in 2012 means they have hard plastics and long warranties.

porsche959 wrote: »

I think you're confussing reliable with a nice car that I you'd want to own!

I'm not arguing relability, I'll give the japs that. I just never want to be in a Jap car again.

190E2.516 wrote: »
    of course jap cars are scrap. jap cars are for people who cant afford to buy and run german cars

They are cars for people who want to get from A to B, want reliability, and don't want to spend large portions of their income on transport. Which is most of the car-buying population.

Personally I am fortunate enough not to have a lengthy daily commute, but If I did, and I speak as a confirmed car buff, I wouldn't dream of buying anything apart from Japanese as my daily driver.

I'm not arguing relability, I'll give the japs that. I just never what to be in a Jap car again.

Well, have you ever driven an MX-5?

... you don't reckon the fluence is a cheap and nasty crate of sh1t though Ed? I'm genuinely puzzled.

• Advertisement

They are cars for people who want to get from A to B, want reliability, and don't want to spend large portions of their income on transport. Which is most of the car-buying population.

So is it fair to say we agree then!

My entire argument is your point. They're for people who just want transport and dont really care for something just a touch better.

I'm not arguing relability, I'll give the japs that. I just never what to be in a Jap car again.

Yeah yeah, say that again when you've driven a car from Japan. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I just never what to be in a Jap car again.

Not even a GT-R?:D

Well, have you ever driven an MX-5?

Great drive .....with cheap and nasty plastics and road nosie that Helen Keller could hear.

Its a fair point though. A MX-5 is an excellent car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

I just never what to be in a Jap car again.

what a riddiculous thing to say, particularly from an (i asume) motoring/ car enthusiast.

i am the biggest "Jap scrap" fan you will find, but that doesn't mean i dont have a great appreciation for other marques.

you demonstrating epic proportions of narrowmindedness. (did i just invent a word?)

• Advertisement

This thread is making me want an RX-7 or Supra :(

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    This thread is making me want an RX-7 or Supra :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhWiN_467S-FKKUU0mxFA8cee7-Q8AI80HryplzMd-BvJ1moqxLw

:D

Neither, None of the design, technical or visual, of the Qashqai had anything to do with Nissan Japan or Renault.

A version of the Qashqai is sold in Japan(under a different name) but is uses completely different trim, spec and engines to what we get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You cant just decide that a Nissan is not a Nissan because its not built and designed in Japan. Its a Nissan, its Japanese.
    So if a car is not built or designed from a country, it can be still from there?

Hrm. Can we claim Ferrari are Irish, then? :pac:

the_syco wrote: »
    So if a car is not built or designed from a country, it can be still from there?

Hrm. Can we claim Ferrari are Irish, then? :pac:

Not unless they've started designing them in Kildare and making them in Galway :p

Regret making this thread yet?

Oh and go drive a Nissan President. :)

Regret making this thread yet?

Not at all.

I would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So many things to say bout the op post but too angry and annoyed to reply to such ****e
    Il start with this

Your judgin a quasqai to be representing all jap cars
    Ha good one next joke mate

I worked as mechanic in Toyota for 3 years and when I left was in a different job working on other models European mostly and nearly begged to go back to jap
    Found the gearboxes in European and ford cars to be too heavy and **** easy to break
    As for comfort I may agree that some German made cars are more comfortable but can't argue with a jap engine and the reliability of a jap car
    I know this is boy racer talk but look at the ae86 corolla
    Tho drivin by a lot of idiots givin them a bad rep they are still on the roads and bein nct'd and perfect to drive
    How many golfs of that year are as popular?
    I just think its a pointless thread to make

So many things to say bout the op post but too angry and annoyed to reply to such ****e
    Il start with this

Your judgin a quasqai to be representing all jap cars
    Ha good one next joke mate

I worked as mechanic in Toyota for 3 years and when I left was in a different job working on other models European mostly and nearly begged to go back to jap
    Found the gearboxes in European and ford cars to be too heavy and **** easy to break
    As for comfort I may agree that some German made cars are more comfortable but can't argue with a jap engine and the reliability of a jap car
    I know this is boy racer talk but look at the ae86 corolla
    Tho drivin by a lot of idiots givin them a bad rep they are still on the roads and bein nct'd and perfect to drive
    How many golfs of that year are as popular?
    I just think its a pointless thread to make

That's probably a bad example to be fair.

German cars from that era were actually as good as they think they are now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement