Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inheritance Tax???

• 01-01-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I need to know if my sister who has lived all her life in the family home (57years), will be expected to pay Inheritance Tax. The house has been willed to her by Mum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

Believe it or not I did " Try Google" + Revenue!

If we were all to Google info then Boards.ie would become redundant!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Probably better for you to ask a professional as tax is very individual for each person based on their particular circumstances but in a general sense look up dwelling house exemption and the relevant bands. Her tax advisor will be able to tell her if she qualifies for either.

My sincere appreciation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,441 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like she is exempts once she it living there for the last 3 years...

www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat10.html

Looks like she is exempts once she it living there for the last 3 years...

www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat10.html

Not that simple,

Gifts taken on or after 20 February 2007: Any period during which a donee occupies a house that was during that period the disponer's only or main residence will be disregarded as a period of occupation in that house unless the disponer is compelled, by reason of old age or infirmity, to depend on the services of the donee for that period. Old age refers to a person aged 65 or over.

But in this case I think we can assume that the mother was over 65 as person lived in house for 57 years,

It's a "Minefield" !!!
    My question is, if she ( my sister. ) has resided there all her life can it therefore be classed as a gift?? It is in fact her place of residence.
    I very much appreciate your interest in my question.

cathorio wrote: »
    It's a "Minefield" !!!
    My question is, if she ( my sister. ) has resided there all her life can it therefore be classed as a gift?? It is in fact her place of residence.
    I very much appreciate your interest in my question.

A gift and inheritance are both liable for tax. As a daughter getting a gift or inheritance she can get €225,000 with out having to pay any tax.

There is also a relief for a person who has been residing in the property for more than 3 years. Since 2007 the 3 years is only counted if the person inheriting is living with the person because of their old age or they require care.

She looked after both my parents. Dad, (RIP) with Cancer and Mum with Alzheimers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement