Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Sale Items for credit note

• 22-12-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Can you help me out on a question please?
    Somebody recently bought me a lovely coat as a gift but it was the wrong size. When they tried to return it for a smaller size they were told that because it is a sale item that a return was not possible.
    They asked if a credit note for the value of the coat was possible so I could then buy something of similar value but they said that the company policy was no refund and no credit note or exchange on any sale item.

I totally understand the no exchange or no money back (when I worked in retail sometimes our sale items would no longer be recognised on the till) but surely a credit note is fair? The company doesn't lose out on money and neither does the customer.

Any info appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The shop are under no obligation to refund or replace or offer a credit note. It would be a goodwill gesture if they did it, but they don't have to for what is considered a change of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Awh that seems so unfair! Especially since I'd happily buy another item in that shop with a credit note.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Tell them you won't be shopping there in future, and will badmouth them at every opportunity for their inflexibility. And do it. But that's the limit of your recourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Are they on Facebook or twitter? Putting your story up on their page or @ them on twitter can work. Its not great on their behalf really, pathetic reasoning but legally as pointed out they are not obliged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Credit notes are a bit old fashioned these days. Without a receipt shops are under no obligation to do anything.

In my business I still offer credit notes if the stock is mine and recent (not some other shops put in one of my boxes, which happens a lot more than you think)

Most customers these days know that it is not something that is offered and appreciate the gesture.

I can see why shops stopped offering credit notes, some customers ruin it for every one else by either stealing the goods and looking for a credit note, buying goods at full price then returning them and re-buying in the January sales or only using the credit notes during sales.

As a small business they can be a bit of a nightmare

• Advertisement

It was Forever 21 so not a small business at all but I can see how annoying it could be for a small business alright. We have a receipt, they just said it's not their policy to exchange or refund any sale item.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

They would have to change it if there was something wrong with it. Why not asked to see the manager of the shop and speak to him or her they have more power than a sale assistance.

Maura74 wrote: »
    They would have to change it if there was something wrong with it. Why not asked to see the manager of the shop and speak to him or her they have more power than a sale assistance.

Thank you, Maura. I did ask to speak to the manager, all she had to say was that she's been in retail 11 years and can assure me it is perfectly legal and that it is Forever 21's policy not to offer a refund, credit note or exchange any sale item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You have no legal right to a refund/credit note/exchange etc. The item is not faulty. Most shops do the above out of goodwill/good customer service. They do not have to legally.

The person buying the coat should have checked the return policy for sale items before purchasing particularly as it was a gift so there was a change of wrong size, diffferent taste etc.

Give the coat away to someone or some charity or sell it on ebay etc.

Yeah a quick search online found that Forever 21 have caught themselves up in all sorts of legal issues. Their crappy returns policy is minor by comparison.

11 years in that environment ... ugh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

In fairness to Forever 21, I always buy stuff in there and anytime it's on sale, the staff tell you before scanning it that they don't exchange or refund sale items. They say it every time because they're trained to say it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Debenhams have the same policy re items bought in the sales. No cash refund just credit note or replacement garment

Advertisement