Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing windscreen marring

• 11-11-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    I've only noticed in the last few weeks a very annoying marring on my windscreen. It's very noticeable with the wet weather and dark evenings, looks to be water stains or something similar. The windscreen is original and coming up on 9 years old. Can this be removed?

mar1_zpsc8dcaa6d.jpg~original

mar2_zps0a359e7e.jpg~original

As soon as it stops raining and the windscreen is warmer, it's invisible. But during the rain it's a nightmare.

I have a DA polisher, can these be used on glass effectively? Claying had no effect.
    It's also on the outside by the way.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

I get that effect sometimes when I've done a quick Tango wash.Give yer windscreen a good wipedown with some IPA on a micro fibre and that should sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

speaking of wind screens, let me hi jack the thread for a moment.
    my wifes car has a permanant mark where the wiper blades were allowed to get to worn down.

Anyone any experience of this ? I reckon its a new screen job myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

@ Voodoomelon
    Next time it rains lightly get a can of coke and pour it down your windscreen.
    Put on wipers and give a few wipes.
    Repeat.

I can assure you that you will have what looks like a new windscreen.
    Just done forget to wash the car afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

@Vectra
    That has to be the life hack of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

If Vectra's solution doesnt work Voodoomelon, then you can try using the DA, with a light pad and polish combo to see if it has any effect. There are specific glass pads and polishes, but you arent trying to correct scratches, so a fine polish should be enough.

Gordy6040; they damage you have will need proper glass pad and polish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Thanks guys, will try the Coke first and report back. :)

only real Coca cola.
    Nothing else.

I have no idea why but it is what works best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭keano25

I swear by halfords intensive glass cutter. Great stuff. Double it up with rain repellent and wow.

Don't get rain x. I have that too and always reach for the halfords stuff.

Sooo, the Coke had no effect at all. :/

Poured it all over, worked the wipers a few times, then scrubbed it into the glass for a minute or two with an old cloth. No difference at all.

Time to get the polisher out!

Poured it all over, worked the wipers a few times, then scrubbed it into the glass for a minute or two with an old cloth. No difference at all.

Damn.
    Must be something well stuck to it. Normally Coke shifts most crap.

• Advertisement

The glass cutter cures like polish, and you can machine off or take it off by hand. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I'd try the DA with the coarsest polish and hardest pad you have. Alternatively, if you're in less of a rush, I've had great results with a felt glass cutting pad and cerium oxide compound on the windscreen of my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

vectra wrote: »
    @ Voodoomelon
    Next time it rains lightly get a can of coke and pour it down your windscreen.
    Put on wipers and give a few wipes.
    Repeat.

When i see posts like this i second guess drinking coke and what affect it must have on my insides :o

When i see posts like this i second guess drinking coke and what affect it must have on my insides :o

I wouldn't worry. It's no more acidic than fresh orange juice. The phosphoric acid in it has some useful properties for cleaning that other acids don't have (mainly being able to remove rust). A good chunk of your bodyweight is phosphates too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Be careful using that polisher

Previous owner (or someone on his behalf) of my car went at the windscreen with one of those by the looks of all the circular scratch marks and it's a pain at night. :(

Need to get it sorted as no doubt it'll fail an NCT like that.

Quite hard to that kind of damage, the circular scratches, with a polisher on glass....the biggest risk is heat generation which can warp the glass and results in distorted view through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Curran wrote: »
    Quite hard to that kind of damage, the circular scratches, with a polisher on glass....the biggest risk is heat generation which can warp the glass and results in distorted view through it.

What could cause it do you reckon?

Dont know...not sure a stone in a wash mitt would even do it.
    Are the marks perfectly circular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Voodoo - What you have on your windscreen is called water etching. I wouldn't be surprised if it's on all your windows. I got rid of this on a few cars using cerium oxide and a rayon pad on a D/A. I haven't tried using a normal pad and polish but personally, I wouldn't pour Coca Cola on my windscreen as it will make the wipers all sticky and other parts around the bottom of the screen sticky too.

Voodoo - What you have on your windscreen is called water etching. I wouldn't be surprised if it's on all your windows. I got rid of this on a few cars using cerium oxide and a rayon pad on a D/A. I haven't tried using a normal pad and polish but personally, I wouldn't pour Coca Cola on my windscreen as it will make the wipers all sticky and other parts around the bottom of the screen sticky too.

That can be your personal opinion ( as in the 845 over other products :) )
    But you say you Wouldn't

I can only assume this means you never tried it?
    if so how can you advise against something you know nothing about?
    As for the cerium oxide and rayon pad?
    Would you not consider that could do a lot more damage in the wrong hands compared to a can of coke?

I would advise against the cerium oxide and pad in a non qualified persons hands over other methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Ah jaysus vectra :P

I said that I wouldn't because of the sticky situation afterwards :pac:

People can do whatever the hell they want!

Also, just reading back through the thread, Chimaera also suggested cerium oxide and rayon pad. Why didn't ya pull him up on it? Eh? eh? eh? :D

Ah jaysus vectra :P

I said that I wouldn't because of the sticky situation afterwards :pac:

People can do whatever the hell they want!

Also, just reading back through the thread, Chimaera also suggested cerium oxide and rayon pad. Why didn't ya pull him up on it? Eh? eh? eh? :D

I understand but I also said to make sure to wash the car afterwards :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

In the past I've used Barkeepers Friend on my windscreen with good results. Should be able to find it in Tesco. (Comes in powder and a spray - get the powder)

Put some on a damp microfibre and clean the windscreen, then clear it off with water.

Voodoo - What you have on your windscreen is called water etching. I wouldn't be surprised if it's on all your windows.

Funnily enough, i've noticed it on the rear windows now too. I haven't got round to even looking at the car as currently dealing with a flood disaster, but will post back about the DA and see if it helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have the same dang thing now, and on a 190km commute these days its hell, I've tried cleancar window cleaner, vinegar, window cleaner, newspaper!! Driving me mad.
    Are the wipers fecked I wonder? They have nearly 30,000 kms on them :D

yop wrote: »
    Have the same dang thing now, and on a 190km commute these days its hell, I've tried cleancar window cleaner, vinegar, window cleaner, newspaper!! Driving me mad.
    Are the wipers fecked I wonder? They have nearly 30,000 kms on them :D

Try the can of coke while it is raining.

Still haven't sorted this still, but will have all the tools out to replace secondary water pump in a few days so will whip the DA out and give it a go.

Have you tried intensive glass cutter?

Nope, just the coke trick. Will try the polisher first then cutter if that fails.

• Advertisement

Tut tut. Coke won't work. Without the right stuff the DA won't work.

Guess what works with the DA? That's right the glass cutter.

Lol.

keano25 wrote: »
    Tut tut. Coke won't work. .

Have you tried it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Flash degreaser and one of those plastic green/yellow pot sponges. I'd try that before jumping for the glass cutters...

I used to get the same on the windscreen after parking in Intel. Used to always think it was something left by the industrial exhaust scrubbers.

Have you tried it?

Yes. You may aswell be using battery acid.

Not a hope in hell would I use battery acid,
    Are you nuts? :pac:

I did Courier driving many moons ago.
    I racked up 264,000 miles in 1 year and 9 months in all sorts of weather. The Bottle of Coke tip I picked up along the way from other drivers.
    I would never leave without one, It was simply brilliant at clearing the smearing on the windscreen.

Have you tried it?

• Advertisement

LOL
    What has tooth enamel got to do with smeared windscreen?? :)

1 in the difference between battery acid and coke ;)

1 in the difference between battery acid and coke ;)

Enjoy using Battery acid as I would not use it on my car.

I suggested coke
    I used it as has many many others
    If it did not work on your car then you must have a different issue with your screen.
    I can only vouch for what worked for me.

I would still prefer to use coke on my windscreen than have the paintwork battered with salt from the roads. But hey. What has that got to do with it? :D

pH is a function of acid concentration, not of the acid itself. It's also calculated on a log scale so it's not a linear function of concentration.

Batteries use relatively concentrated sulphuric acid. It's not fit for consumption, and is never going to be found in foods. Its concentration in batteries is also much higher than the acids found in foodstuffs.

Please stop regurgitating ignorant crap like this and go educate yourself about chemistry!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Tried the coke, blew away in the wind, neighbours car now cover in coke, told it was talc!
    Thanks Vectra, your some langer!

ps... have no coke here, will ask the better half to get a can on her way home, up to the big smoke othewise this will be me with my head out the window driving! :D

dog-car-window.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The Coke trick has worked for me in the past, but my problem was slightly different I think. It cleared a stubborn residue from the windscreen that no amount of cleaning and polishing seemed to clear. Was stunned at how good it was.

My windscreen has similar, but not as bad, issues as Voodoo at the moment, but not having a DA, and not being too bothered means that I'll most likely just leave it!

Tried the coke, blew away in the wind, neighbours car now cover in coke, told it was talc!
    Thanks Vectra, your some langer!

ps... have no coke here, will ask the better half to get a can on her way home, up to the big smoke othewise this will be me with my head out the window driving! :D

LOL

The trick is use it when it is drizzling
    Pour slowly across the whole screen at the top allowing it to flow down the screen,
    Once it is reaching the bottom use your wipes to give one wipe.
    Repeat with the coke,
    Repeat with wipers.

Should be job done.

And take no notice of the neighbours :D

LOL

The trick is use it when it is drizzling
    Pour slowly across the whole screen at the top allowing it to flow down the screen,
    Once it is reaching the bottom use your wipes to give one wipe.
    Repeat with the coke,
    Repeat with wipers.

Should be job done.

And take no notice of the neighbours :D

Will do chief, I'll ask the better half to get a few lines for me tonight.

My neighbour has big jabs, of course I have to notice. :D

Well spank my arse and call me Charlie, I can confirm that the Coke works!!!!! I was late home last night, threw it on the windscreen, didn't need much water due to the storm, gave it a wash, threw it on again and then a quick rinse.
    And this morning was 100% streak, scum free! :D Not a bit of glare on the 90km drive :D

Happy days. Thanks Vectra

Well spank my arse and call me Charlie, I can confirm that the Coke works!!!!! I was late home last night, threw it on the windscreen, didn't need much water due to the storm, gave it a wash, threw it on again and then a quick rinse.
    And this morning was 100% streak, scum free! :D Not a bit of glare on the 90km drive :D

Happy days. Thanks Vectra

Now this evenings job is
    "WASH THE CAR" :pac:

Now this evenings job is
    "WASH THE CAR" :pac:

It will be washed on the road enroute to Dublin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Coke worked a treat.
    Driving home this eve in the lashing rain and the windscreen looked like a map of the rivers of the world!
    2 cans of coke (its a big windscreen) and a trip to the local car wash and the world is in hd again.
    Thanks Vectra!

Advertisement