Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative roofing

Options
  • 19-02-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

has anyone used industrial/agricultural cladding on a domestic roof? Finalising a design at the moment and I am very taken by this house (below). I love how light the roof looks and I think it would look great in rural Ireland. Also there is no guttering - anyone tried that?

f04fCqYFj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

donalh087 wrote: »
    has anyone used industrial/agricultural cladding on a domestic roof? Finalising a design at the moment and I am very taken by this house (below). I love how light the roof looks and I think it would look great in rural Ireland. Also there is no guttering - anyone tried that?

f04fCqYFj

I did a round half barrel roof sheeted with corrugated metal painted with red oxide. It was really only for show, we got timber round roof trusses manufactured we sheeted them and they were covered in torch on felt, then purlin were screwed to the roof and the cladding foxed over it. It looked well afterwards but I would only use it as a feature not a roof. You need a real roof underneath and fit this afterwards for show. If you used it as the roof itself you'd have to deal with condensation on the sheets and the like. Also this roof was seriously expensive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Yes, in the middle of it now. A 32mm corrugated roof to imitate a traditional barn. Built up warm roof underneath. Passive build.

Cant see the link but I guess hidden gutters are what's used...lot more design and pre thought needed for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..cant see the pic in your thread..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

Don't know why the pic has disappeared. Here is a separate link http://www.johnpawson.com/works/baron-house/

@Miller_63 Very interesting. Have you any concerns? Did you see it in operation before you went for it? Would love to see some pics.

No pictures yet as material hasn't arrived yet, in fact im on the hunt for an experienced installer to help and guide me on the physical fitting of it. Im scared :-) I should be taking delivery late next week.

With regards to that picture, im unsure if the colour would get through planning. I think basically with corrugated you have two colour arguments if you trying to imitate older structures in Ireland. Dark Grey and Red. I had to submit a sample to satisfy planners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I am working on an extension and have found a multitude of examples of houses/extensions that use corrugated sheet as roofing and/or wall cladding. For materials check out Euroclad (Naas). I'm inspired by a really low-cost example :http://www.irishvernacular.com/
    That one used Onduline sheeting, some users in other countries have reported problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I have seen corrugated sheet roofing used over straw thatch in old houses, the thatch still pretty much intact and not rotted after eighty years. Contact Tegral in Athy, they may be able to help source the colour sheeting you require, also Kildare county council produced a book on traditional rural buildings which could be worth a look

also have a look at Ross Cremins blog...

http://mollyglass2012.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

I am using Euroclad Vieo edge sheeting on my roof. It will be on in a couple of weeks, you are welcome to check it out on site. I can Pm you any information you want on it. Very cost effective!

Superdaddy wrote: »
    I am using Euroclad Vieo edge sheeting on my roof. It will be on in a couple of weeks, you are welcome to check it out on site. I can Pm you any information you want on it. Very cost effective!

Would love that info to compare...can you pm me please? Much appreciated. Id like to see it in situ too, where are you?

Thanks

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I have seen corrugated sheet roofing used over straw thatch in old houses, the thatch still pretty much intact and not rotted after eighty years. Contact Tegral in Athy, they may be able to help source the colour sheeting you require, also Kildare county council produced a book on traditional rural buildings which could be worth a look

That would be our roof, guess the original CGI roof went on in the 60's and I had to replace one section recently because of rust due to some sheets being levered off when an extension was bodged on in the 70's.

Thatch is a bit dried out under the tin but not rotten at all. Main thing to remember is NOT to use an angle grinder anywhere near it in case you set it alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Superdaddy,

When you say cost effective - what's a ballpark figure per m2 or per length? Have you have to adapt your roof build up at all? Extra starking boards or did you purchase as a SIP's type panel as shown on the quick google I did here:

http://www.euroclad.com/roof-systems/vieo.aspx

Those U values don't look great - well 0.15 may be ok.

Ever seen guttering on a thatched cottage?

What you will often find is a drain thats directly under the drip line (or near to it) running around the house. With a new build you could put modern drains around the drip line and cover with gravel.

Clseeper wrote: »
    Superdaddy,

When you say cost effective - what's a ballpark figure per m2 or per length? Have you have to adapt your roof build up at all? Extra starking boards or did you purchase as a SIP's type panel as shown on the quick google I did here:

http://www.euroclad.com/roof-systems/vieo.aspx

Those U values don't look great - well 0.15 may be ok.

€15- €16m2

Roof spec is as follows, it is a warm roof. Very similar to that on the Quinntherm IAB cert. http://www.quinn-therm.com/downloads/certs/quinntherm_iabcert.pdf

Euroclad Vieo edge steel sheeting
    Breathable membrane
    18mm wpb plywood
    100mm 1200x2400 PIR foil faced board
    225mm x 44mm rafters @ 400mm centers
    full fill of rock wool, metac or similar between rafters
    Vapour/ airtight barrier

12mm plaster board

U value 0.102

@superdaddy - how is the roof progressing?

It's ready for the Vieo sheeting, should be here next week. Gutter, facia and soffit are made from the same material and go on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Galvanized steel obviously has a limited lifespan - think of all those rusty haysheds around the country.
    Is aluminium corrugated cladding too expensive to consider ?

recipio wrote: »
    Galvanized steel obviously has a limited lifespan - think of all those rusty haysheds around the country.

And just how old do you think most of those rusty haysheds are?

Our CGI roof is over 50 years old and has very little maintenance.

recipio wrote: »
    They outlast most people reading this, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Don't know why the pic has disappeared. Here is a separate link http://www.johnpawson.com/works/baron-house/

@Miller_63 Very interesting. Have you any concerns? Did you see it in operation before you went for it? Would love to see some pics.

nearly finished now, great strides made over the weekend and glorious weather

Flashings yet to go on...but pic gives you some idea.
    2015-04-04%2017.38.50_zpsrchrk0py.jpg

2015-04-06%2018.07.21_zpslwomylqh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

Sorry to go off topic and sound like a know it all but for your own sake watch the scaffolding lad, especially up the gable end. Its fairly scarce like!!!

cork2 wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic and sound like a know it all but for your own sake watch the scaffolding lad, especially up the gable end. Its fairly scarce like!!!

Its in process of being moved to accommodate next stage ie Render....

Over half the cladding done on the back of the house, north side, will add more photos when done. Really happy with it so far, looks great, I love the gutter and soffit. Barges and flashings yet to go on.

11141152_10205497142441916_2238344809501988141_n.jpg?oh=a035437fdb04d2afd7d2496899334668&oe=55A97368

10525933_10205497142801925_3730271197320082629_n.jpg?oh=9df1e0c592c64050bd0ec79d9a4fcd2b&oe=55A734DF

That looks fantastic...

That looks fantastic...

Looks a little like a lead roof.

my3cents wrote: »
    Looks a little like a lead roof.

Yup! That's where the standing seam roof originated from. Modern materials to imitate an original form.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

@ Miller_63 and Supperdaddy.

Great looking roofs! Well done to both of you for going with something different. :)

@Superdaddy I am talking to Euroclad at the moment and they are quoting VieoZinc @ €28/m2
    Vieo HPS coated steel @ €23/m2. Is this what you are using?

I'm using Vieo edge. Cheaper again. You are welcome to view mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Great job, looks good. How is this roof cost wise as apposed to a standard slate roof? I have an old farm yard stone shed im planning to renovate, starting to get quotes this coming week.

Also what way are you doing insulation? Are you getting insulated cladding or insulating it seperate? Or both?

Advertisement