Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External insulation and new extension

Options
  • 27-02-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Planning on significant renovations and extension to a 3-bed semi-d from 1950s in Artane, Dublin.
    Includes 30 sqm extension to rear of house.
    Planning on external insulation of existing house using 120 mm of Kingspan Thermawall TW53.

Question is how to tie this with existing house:
    1. Do extension in normal cavity wall construction with insulation in cavity - different to plans for existing part off house
    2. Do block wall (on flat) with external insulation - similar to plans for existing part off house
    3. Other

One concern with doing external on extension (2) is fact one wall is very close to boundary wall
    of neighbour (neighbour also has an extension).
    Worry of architect technician we're using is
    A. How to avoid cold bridges and
    B. if adding of external insulation to wall closest to boundary wall is physically possible due to lack of access

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What's the boundary construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A variant of this was up earlier this year.
    The view was to go EWI all the way, new and old.
    In you case move the boundary wall in far enough to allow it be EWI'd and live with the thermal bridge, perhaps dry wall internally on the corner

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pattwoie

BryanF wrote: »
    What's the boundary construction?

4" block on edge I think. Very basic boundary wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pattwoie

A variant of this was up earlier this year.
    The view was to go EWI all the way, new and old.
    In you case move the boundary wall in far enough to allow it be EWI'd and live with the thermal bridge, perhaps dry wall internally on the corner

Is this the one you were referring to?
    New ish user so can't post a link yet so here my attempt around it
    boards.ie/thread/2057374665/1

Thanks for the pointer.
    Hadn't found it in my earlier search.
    From that it looks like extension should be block on flat with EWI on both new and old

Advertisement