Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ordering from America

• 11-06-2015 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

I'm currently looking into buying a new laptop for my mother since her old one is on it's last legs. I've looked around and found a model I want to buy but I'm there's a bit of a dilemma.

There's about a €90 increase on this side of the Atlantic compared to the USA for the laptop so obviously I'd prefer to buy it from over there than fork out the huge sum over here but I'm concerned about too things:

1. I assume there will be some kind of import tax if I order from USA so I was just wondering if anyone knew how much that is likely to be? And also will this be added automatically to the order or will I have to go pay it separately somewhere?

2. The €90 has me suspicious that there's obviously some reason for it. Is there anything else I'm missing as to why there's such a big price difference? It just doesn't seem logical to me that I could just order it from the US and save that much but I mean even if they charge €50 for delivery I still save €40.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

You'll pay VAT and Duty on it.

http://www.dutycalculator.com will tell you exactly how much.

I suspect you'll save zero after that's factored in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,531 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

After you have paid vat and duty you will have saved nothing as already said. you will also have a laptop with the keys in a US configuration and an incorrect plug which you will have to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lago wrote: »
    I could just order it from the US and save that much but I mean even if they charge €50 for delivery I still save €40.
    VAT will be charged on delivery, so if its €50 it will be €61.50 and a minimum €6 handling/admin fee to an post. So €67.50 already. If a courier delivers the admin fee will be more, about €15 or so.

It may not just be a case of a new plug, the charger may not be 230V I think most can take both these days though. There would be the keyboard issue mentioned and possibly warranty issues or issues with the software that comes with it.

If something does go wrong expect to be paying a fortune to ship a laptop back to the US.

Can you post a link to the model and the 2 places you have found it. People might know a cheaper place to find it.

I will move this thread to the laptop forum (from the online buying forum) as they might point out some other potential issues.

Advertisement